PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Halo Shells

StygShore
03-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Wasn't there someone working on molds for a CF halo shell a few months ago?

Was it the same guy that made the chrome shells with the picture by the pool?

I remember someone talking about it, but have never been able to find a product release for either the chrome or the CF shells.

Styg

Thanna
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Hm. I remember seeing it also, but can't find it in the search.

Rudz
03-21-2007, 02:21 PM
i asked abt it and everyone called me an idiot, so idk, i think cf shells would be sweet tho, too bad i never saw those chrome shells go for sale

olinar
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
well if theyre real carbon and not just vinyl theyd look awesome and be super durable. unless you do a backflip and land on it.itll prolly splinter.

Chronobreak
03-21-2007, 06:03 PM
...are you guys serious?

what would the weight savings be vs the cost of the shells

you all msut be out your minds, let alone the fact cf is near impossible to find...and i would imagine hard to work with for an application like a hopper...

you guys really want to save a few grams of weight on a shell and pay $100-200 for them :eek:

Desega
03-21-2007, 06:04 PM
:clap: :hail: :clap:

Pha|anx
03-21-2007, 06:26 PM
First off, my apologies to anyone who was hoping be able to purchase a set of chrome Halo shells. There where issues early on with finding new shells for a fair price... Then abrubtly my line of work changed. It is doubtfull that I will be doing anything more with chroming Halo shells or platting in general.

Secondly, if I decide to sell the prototype set of shells; it will first be offered to certain poeple. Only if they are no longer interested will it be put up for sale.

I had nothing to do with carbon fiber shells.

StygShore
03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
...are you guys serious?

you all msut be out your minds, let alone the fact cf is near impossible to find...and i would imagine hard to work with for an application like a hopper...

you guys really want to save a few grams of weight on a shell and pay $100-200 for them :eek:

I dont think I mentioned weight at all actually.... I would like an alternative to the crystal like plastic they are passing off as useable for the paintball industry. CF seemed liek a very sturdy rugged alternative.

Styg

StygShore
03-21-2007, 06:31 PM
hmmm anyone got a Tool and Die shop? Halo shell stamped out of thin walled alluminum would be nice too :)

Styg

Chronobreak
03-21-2007, 06:41 PM
hmmm anyone got a Tool and Die shop? Halo shell stamped out of thin walled alluminum would be nice too :)

Styg

yeah for baking paint in the summer :p

most of the hopper materials are fine if you ask me,...my pulse is doing great and the only time i had problems with halos/reloaders it was due to stress fractures spider webbing from the screw areas. :cool:

some people can and will break everything...

btw, nalgene bottles :ninja:

olinar
03-21-2007, 07:00 PM
the shells weigh nothing as it is, why would we want them to save weigh? tell ya the truth i havent even used my shells in a game yet the screw holes are fubared already and i have a crack running from the battery cover to the mouth. i want to use something i know will work great.

CKY_Alliance
03-21-2007, 07:05 PM
yeah for baking paint in the summer :p

most of the hopper materials are fine if you ask me,...my pulse is doing great and the only time i had problems with halos/reloaders it was due to stress fractures spider webbing from the screw areas. :cool:

some people can and will break everything...

btw, nalgene bottles :ninja:

You're on to something...someone email these people and demand they make halo shells..and tell them they are only worth 10 dollars...

Actually anyone know who actually manufacturs the bottles and makes the plastic they are made of? Isnt Nalgene just like a brand name? I may be wrong I dont own one I just know they are suppose to be indestructable..

Man I can't spell tonight...

Chronobreak
03-21-2007, 07:16 PM
they are made from lexan, and possibly another polymer...

hoppers need to be strong but give with hits...its a hard combo to achieve...

too strong and it cracks, too soft and itl wobble off or not secure paint and many other issues.

pulses have apparently been cracking though they are made from the same thing as goggles, though im sure most or all of you have seen cracked goggles...it happens eventualy expecialy in a "high impact" sport like paintball

Rudz
03-21-2007, 07:18 PM
First off, my apologies to anyone who was hoping be able to purchase a set of chrome Halo shells. There where issues early on with finding new shells for a fair price... Then abrubtly my line of work changed. It is doubtfull that I will be doing anything more with chroming Halo shells or platting in general.

Secondly, if I decide to sell the prototype set of shells; it will first be offered to certain poeple. Only if they are no longer interested will it be put up for sale.

I had nothing to do with carbon fiber shells.

im stil intrested

bentothejam1n
03-21-2007, 07:55 PM
...are you guys serious?

actually they would probably buy them for the durability rather than the weights savings
edit: didnt read the rest of the thread

paint magnet
03-22-2007, 12:14 AM
I've known people that have broken Nalgene bottles...you have to fill them to the top, freeze them, and then throw them against rocks :D

I've never heard of anyone breaking one of the older flexible white ones though. A hopper with semi-flexible shells and a harder internal frame and feedneck would be ideal.

Rudz
03-22-2007, 01:18 AM
is it illegal to plasti dip halo shells? how about the inside of halo shells

Pneumagger
03-22-2007, 01:32 AM
they are made from lexan, and possibly another polymer...

hoppers need to be strong but give with hits...its a hard combo to achieve...
Lexan is polycarbonate. GE trademark name.

Sort of how "Teflon" is the DuPont's name for polytetrafluoroethylene.

StygShore
03-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Pre Brass Eagle Revvy.... Going on 9 years.... still works, not cracked after thousands of hits, falls, slides, drops, rolling aorund in gearbags and truck beds, etc.

additional profit to Viewloader in that time.... $0.00

Halo.... Going on 4 months.... replaced shell after about 9 hits, replaced board after about 6 uses, replaced drive cone assembly after fin snapped off after about 9 uses, never fell, never slid, never dropped, placed in padded lined bag in secure part of gear bag, etc.

additional profit to NPS.... $20.00, Warrior Sports Gear.... $30.00, Some guy on Ebay... $16.00

Bottom line is someone makes money on the players having to repeatedly buy new shells and components for their hoppers.

The first company to come up with a truly indestructible hopper will make a buttload of money, and then close up shop because they wont have anymore sales after someone has the perfect hopper.

Styg

indecisive
03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Unless they release an even better one, or lots of additional parts that make the loader "better"