PDA

View Full Version : Sydarm -vs- Tac 8 thoughts?

Al_Steel
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Giving serious consideration to purchasing a Sydarm or a Tac 8. This will be for scenario ball as I am primarily a scenario role player. I spend a large portion of my time with just a sidearm for self-defense b/c I am carrying props or doing deals. I don't really like the WarSensors or Armotech pistols and 32 Deg PT line is junk IMO. I want a quality pistol that will act as my primary when I need to defend myself in a "deal gone bad" or to possibly shoot my way out of a crossfire. I have a PMI USP, but its got it's quirks so my choices are limited.

That narrows my choices basically down to a Sydarm or Tac 8. Now normally there wouldn't be a choice, it would be Sydarm all the way :headbang:, BUT I read reviews and saw some people on here talking about how the Sydarm freezes up on rapid fire and how it won't really shoot above 250fps without problems (!), not to mention it's a little pricey and hard to come by.

So anyone have thoughts on either of these fine markers and which you feel may be best?

Thanks for any advice!

BigEvil
03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
The Sydarms are nice, but the TAC8s are just SOO much more functional. The magazine system alone makes it better imo.

turbo chicken
03-21-2007, 02:32 PM
I'll mention a PPS stroker of some kind ... only because a TAC8 with a few clips will run you about the same price. Just something to consider.

I've shot and played with a tac 8 as my main on a couple of walkons ... good fun and easy to load if you have a few clips. But once your out of clips it's a challenge to load balls into it.

I still prefer my PGP over anything i have tested as a pistol for that reason ... it's easier to load and i'm not limited by the amount of clips I hold ... one day ill send it to plamers ... for a conversion ... but only after i get a mint pre 2k to have as keep as my pump ...

anyways ... to get back on track

If you aren't going to use it as your main marker ... i'd say tac 8.

As far as the sydearm haven't played with but only shot in a crono .. so ill leave those comments to someone more qualified.

Chaos_Theory!
03-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Tac 8 all the way. I had originally planned on getting a Sydarm but after some research realized its just not worth it.

Lohman446
03-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Having owned both Tac 8 all the way. More accessories available, just as good a shooter, and that magazine system is cool. Loading a 12-gram in game in the Sydarm is a pain.

Al_Steel
03-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I have thought about just staying with a PGP or other classic sidearm (I've got both a Nelspot 007 and a PGP). Since I plan to get outta dodge as quick as possible it will be essentially a last resort weapon. However, if I do get pinned down I would at least like enough quick fire power to be able to punch a hole. That's a little tough when you are pump -vs- a field full of semis. :)

Never thought of a PPS though.. that's seriously worth considering, except I'd probably be afraid I'd scratch it or something.

So I really want a semi so I can fire on the run a bit better. The Tac 8 is pretty sweet b/c you can change mags REAL fast but it does get pricy. I would want at least 4 mags + rig and that runs damn near the cost of a Sydarm. So we are talking in the $350+ neighborhood for a sidearm.

Now my other un-mentioned option is to rig up a Classic mag with a CO2 12-gram ASA quick changer with a tube feed (maybe rig a Phantom feed tube) and use that as a side arm. Anyone try this? I know it sounds Ghetto but it might just work. It's a LOT less expensive if nothing else. :D

LegumeOfTerror
03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
tried it, 12 shots or so from a 12 gram... so i just run a verticle 3.5 and it does nicley witha 50 round hopper and 10in boomstick.

Al_Steel
03-21-2007, 05:50 PM
12 from a 12 gram. hmmm. that's not too good. That's with an older valve right? I know the RT valves only run on N2, but what about Classic valves?

Thanna
03-21-2007, 05:54 PM
I think he did mean a classic valve.
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210568&highlight=sydarm

You could look at the T68 pistol. That's a bit cheaper... not sure how well they work though, I have yet to use one. I haven't tried using a PPS squall. They're pretty darn expensive, but beautiful pieces. I've seen and held the tac8, I don't like the grip very much since it is large because it needs to hold the 8 rounds plus the 12grams in the magazine.

p.s. on second thought. I believe they're(T68Pistol) the same style as the pt extreme, so you might not like them.

LegumeOfTerror
03-21-2007, 11:52 PM
yeah, its a classic valve. id say 3.5oz on a classic...

magman007
03-22-2007, 11:07 AM
the sydarm is cool and neat, but in all reality, it isnt too functional on the field. I owned one for a while and enjoyed fooling around with it, but i also enjoyed the fact that i wasnt going to loose any money on it when i bought it from the surplus sale Tuna had. cool? very, functional, not so much. Its a pain to load 12 grams, and its a pain to load the paint.

craltal
03-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Using the classic valve mag will end up being bigger no matter how you try to configure it. The barrel will be longer and you'll have a foregrip so either you'll need to carry it or find some odd holstering method.

At this point the Tac would probably be your best bet, even with the cost of mags.

warbeak2099
03-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Using the classic valve mag will end up being bigger no matter how you try to configure it. The barrel will be longer and you'll have a foregrip so either you'll need to carry it or find some odd holstering method.

At this point the Tac would probably be your best bet, even with the cost of mags.

Um, he's not talking about a classic valved mag, he's talking about a sydarm. And no you don't have to have a foregrip on any mag. You can take it off. There have been regular mags converted to pistols. Sydarm valves are their own thing.

Lomarandil
03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
well, he had mentioned earlier that he was considering converting a classic for this..

I got a chance to shoot both during a pistol duel this last September... It was a Tac8 Duel, but the Tac8s kept failing to work, so Jim "Hangernaid" Helton brought out his pair of Sydarms..

So I'm a bit biased towards the Sydarms.. for the reliabilty and ease of repair... but that may just be me..

Lo

Al_Steel
03-22-2007, 04:19 PM
You don't need a foregrip on a mag, but what you do need is a good air supply. A "pistol" style gun can be done with a classic mag. All you need is a non-powerfeed feedneck (CF or L/R) cut short so that you can fit a Palmers Phanton feed tube or similar. Then install an ASA either on the rear of the rail or bottom of the grip. Then tack on a 3.5oz CO2 tank or 12 Gram Quick change. The largest problem I have found with the QC is the gas efficiency of 12 gram through a Classic Valve. This can likely be remedied with a Palmers Stabilizer, he has one which is specifically designed to use on mags. Someone else here has done it and I am strongly considering the option.

If I do it I intend on it being somewhat different in that I plan to use a stabilizer which incorporates an ASA and then the 12 Gram QC screwed directly into it. I plan to orient the entire assembly along the length of the main body so the QC faces forward. This will make the marker the same height as a Sydarm and about as long, just a little wider and likely heavier.

BUT I am STILL considering a Sydarm. Can anyone tell me if there is any truth to the myth that a Sydarm can't shoot above 250fps?? Also, is poor gas efficiency, shootdown problems, and freeze-up in the Sydarm that I have heard about just rumors or is there any truth to this. Those things weight HEAVILY on my decision to purchase a Sydarm as opposed to a TAC 8 or a Classic Mag pistol build-up.

Thanks!

ultralight
03-22-2007, 04:51 PM
not sure if you're open to the idea or not, but what about running a stick fed mag on a coil remote? you could get a stock minimag barrel which would make it pretty holsterable. just think of the remote as a weapon-retention lanyard.

craltal
03-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Now my other un-mentioned option is to rig up a Classic mag with a CO2 12-gram ASA quick changer with a tube feed (maybe rig a Phantom feed tube) and use that as a side arm. Anyone try this? I know it sounds Ghetto but it might just work. It's a LOT less expensive if nothing else. :D

I knew I read him mention it somewhere!!!

you could always gut the classic valve and just use a stabilizer as the reg portion of the valve...

Al_Steel
03-22-2007, 05:43 PM
not sure if you're open to the idea or not, but what about running a stick fed mag on a coil remote? you could get a stock minimag barrel which would make it pretty holsterable. just think of the remote as a weapon-retention lanyard.

Yeah that would make for a VERY compact and light rig. Coil remote to a 3.5 oz on my hip or back. It would be a very light rig, worth considering. My only problem is that sometime a coil remote can get a little clumsy but I do like the idea. :)

Oh, know of anybody that makes a spring loaded stick mag that I could retrofit?

craltal
03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
you could always go with a long steel braided line instead of the coil...

you could try to get one of the spring magazines for the pt style guns and retrofit it...