PDA

View Full Version : Valve anodizing

G Squat
03-22-2007, 11:13 AM
why dont more people anodize/powder coat their valves? Some reason you cant or shouldn't?

RvB Caboose
03-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Automags are built with tight tolerances. From what I've heard it's possible to mess up these tolerances and the valve won't work.

Also, the anodizing process removes the laser engraved serial number, voiding the warranty.

G Squat
03-22-2007, 05:07 PM
does anyone think I would run into problems if I actually did have my RT valve powder coated? (just the visiblt portion. I could even leave the engraved part visible.

craltal
03-22-2007, 06:11 PM
the powder would only be on the outside so you shouldn't have any issues unless it ends up being too thick and throws off the angle of the valve in relation to the body (had an overtightened screw do that to one of my mags)

G Squat
03-22-2007, 06:18 PM
the powder would only be on the outside so you shouldn't have any issues unless it ends up being too thick and throws off the angle of the valve in relation to the body (had an overtightened screw do that to one of my mags)

yeah, I thought about that being a problem. Post-er above said the heating process might mess the valve up. Its an RT valve and I dont like the gray back. So I was looking to get several parts on my gun powder coated black but now I'm thinking I might just polish it.

Dark Side
03-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Heard people have that problem that the gun will not shoot after a botched anno. Talk to Tunaman. He might be able to do something for you.

craltal
03-22-2007, 07:15 PM
an RT valve has a stainless back half so powdercoating is the only option anyway.

Edit:
Woo Hoo, just hit my 1,000th post!!!

Russ
03-22-2007, 08:42 PM
The RT and Emag valve bodies are hard-coat annodized. It both penetrates nad build up on the surface of the aluminum. Only a fool would "polish" it off!

The aluminum, once stripped of the coating, will corrode, and look like crap. The valve will loose it's value as well. Does it really look THAT bad?

G Squat
03-22-2007, 09:01 PM
it just kida bothers me. I guess I could have only what is shown powder coated. I dunno, that sounds kinda hackish. Something will be done. Even if I have to match the rest of the gun around it.

craltal
03-22-2007, 09:14 PM
they don't look THAT bad...
http://idisk.mac.com/cral/Public/Mine/Emag811.jpg

ta2maki
03-22-2007, 09:17 PM
an RT valve has a stainless back half so powdercoating is the only option anyway.

Edit:
Woo Hoo, just hit my 1,000th post!!!

Isn't the front half stainless? I always thought that the back half was anno'd that dark grey color.

G Squat
03-22-2007, 09:18 PM
c'mon now... you know whats goin on there... the lighting has it looking much darker than it is... its actually a dull gray... I'll make something happen.

craltal
03-22-2007, 09:39 PM
c'mon now... you know whats goin on there... the lighting has it looking much darker than it is... its actually a dull gray... I'll make something happen.

well, it is emag valve serial number 811 so it's an old one...

and maybe it is the fronts that are steel...

for2nato
03-22-2007, 09:48 PM
you can powder coat it but you have to remove all orings and seals prior to doing it. or else the oven will bake them. possibly in. and to be a little more specific on the anno of it. stripping the old anno removes material off of the valve. not just the color. when the anno is reaplied it builds the material back up to the original specs. thats where the problem is. if the shop doing the anno over does it, or under does it. your valve will be a paper weight. a $200 paper weight. just something to think about.
my background: i am a 10 year journeyman painter with alot of experience in special coatings such as powdercoating.

G Squat
03-22-2007, 09:54 PM
you can powder coat it but you have to remove all orings and seals prior to doing it. or else the oven will bake them. possibly in. and to be a little more specific on the anno of it. stripping the old anno removes material off of the valve. not just the color. when the anno is reaplied it builds the material back up to the original specs. thats where the problem is. if the shop doing the anno over does it, or under does it. your valve will be a paper weight. a $200 paper weight. just something to think about.
my background: i am a 10 year journeyman painter with alot of experience in special coatings such as powdercoating.

:clap: YAY for knowledgable advice :clap:
Thank you for that. Powdercoating, here I come.