PDA

View Full Version : Backup/loaner recommendation?

emumikey
03-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I am looking to a get another marker to have on hand for a loaner when people come out to the field with me. I only currently have mags and cockers, when aren't very user friendly for first time players. I would like to get something "idiot proof"

The catch is, I would really like for it to have a cocker threaded breach so I can use all of my existing barrels. Looking to find something in the <$200 range.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mike

MANN
03-23-2007, 08:11 AM
hmmm. mags arent noob friendly?

My loaner collection consist of 1 automag, 1 autococker, 1 tippmann 98, 1 tippmann A5, 1 spyder, 1 raptor. I feel that that is a wide range of mechanicals that they can choose from. If they want something better they are more than welcome to go buy it.

paint magnet
03-23-2007, 09:20 AM
The only problem with Mags is that people tend to short-stroke them.

Tippmanns, Spyders, Piranhas...basically any blowback gun of decent quality works well as a loaner. If you want it to have cocker threads, you can get a thread adapter from Lapco for $15 or so.

turbo chicken
03-23-2007, 09:25 AM
idiot proof??? you mean ignorance proof right ... i sure you wouldn't be lending a pbmarker to an idiot ...

I really think mags are the best ... nothing to cock, can't really mess with the velocity unless you have an allen wrench in you pocket ... besides explaining that you have to pull the trigger all the way and then full release it ... i figured that you'd be ok with that ...

but an old beater of a blowback would be my second choice ...

and i wouldn't be spending 200.00 either ... but in that range ... i'd say ... some kind of electronic sear tripper ... you can get a whole setup for less than 200.00 ... but for just a gun ... check out a VS2 from kingman ...

emumikey
03-23-2007, 09:46 AM
The only problem with Mags is that people tend to short-stroke them.

That is my primary concern with the mag, I don't want someone to come out and have a bad time and not want to play again because they don't understand how to shoot the gun. There is a small learning curve with the mag.

idiot proof??? you mean ignorance proof right ... i sure you wouldn't be lending a pbmarker to an idiot ...

Yes ignorant proof. Even if I explain the trigger of a mag to a new user, do you think they are going to remember to focus on that their first time playing? I am sure every mag user had to get used to the trigger over the course of a few days at the field. I know I did, but it was also a little tough for me since I had shot cockers for 7 years before I ever got my first mag (whole 'nother long story)

I am basically looking for a sear tripper or electro style gun that is easy on paint and takes cocker threads. I would be content to find another ULE bodied level 10 but that would be tough to accomplish for <$200

StygShore
03-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Promaster and Lasoya Promaster are around 200.00 range ( just sold mine for $200.00 ) and they use cocker threaded barrels

Idiot proof as possible - screw on air, turn on gun, go mow faces.....

Styg

turbo chicken
03-23-2007, 11:18 AM
That is my primary concern with the mag, I don't want someone to come out and have a bad time and not want to play again because they don't understand how to shoot the gun. There is a small learning curve with the mag.

Yes ignorant proof. Even if I explain the trigger of a mag to a new user, do you think they are going to remember to focus on that their first time playing? I am sure every mag user had to get used to the trigger over the course of a few days at the field. I know I did, but it was also a little tough for me since I had shot cockers for 7 years before I ever got my first mag (whole 'nother long story)

I am basically looking for a sear tripper or electro style gun that is easy on paint and takes cocker threads. I would be content to find another ULE bodied level 10 but that would be tough to accomplish for <$200

Well dang ... i forgot about the cocker threaded barrels .. get a tippy and then a lapco thread adapter ... or even for spyder/clones get a barrel adapter for those as well ... just a thought ...

and now that i think about it ... i agree on the trigger for the mag ... i had one heck of a time shooting mine saturday after using my PGP exclusively for almost 9 months ... so mags not ignornat (did i spell that right?)proof ... i see what you were saying...

emumikey
03-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Promaster and Lasoya Promaster are around 200.00 range ( just sold mine for $200.00 ) and they use cocker threaded barrels

Idiot proof as possible - screw on air, turn on gun, go mow faces.....

Styg

Styg,

been looking at the promasters, are these good? I have had my bad experiences with Bushies that were absolute blenders, and that is why I have been skeptical of the promasters.

Thanks for your thoughts, turbo. And it is "ignorance" and "ignorant" :cheers:

paintballfiend
03-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Can't go wrong with spyders. I have 1 just incase I invite someone.

TrracerAce
03-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Tippmann Pro Carbine.

Cock it, screw in the tank, play all day.

StygShore
03-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Styg,

been looking at the promasters, are these good? I have had my bad experiences with Bushies that were absolute blenders, and that is why I have been skeptical of the promasters.

Only had mine for a short time, but shot about 1000 rounds eyes never missed a beat, didnt break any paint, no problems I could find at all really.

Spyder clones can be had for cheaper, and even an A-5 with the insert to use cocker barrels is an option for a newer player - sturdy, rugged, fast gun

Styg

peewee
03-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Styg,

I have had a lasoya PM for about a year. Very, very good marker. havent broke a single ball in it. I'd recommend it to anyone. mine actually get more play time than my Karni.

matteusz
03-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Get a pump gun. Heh something on the order of a sl 68 or a mav. That would be a more um traditional intro to paintball. But seriously I would rather maintain a spyder as a backup than a tippy. You can get an electro for cheap and buddies can keep up with most of what is out there reasonably well.

Toll
03-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Personally I'd get a spyder and a barrel adapter (if you really want) and have that be about it. Nothing fancy. Throw a stock Ion reg on there and be done with it. They're reliable for the most part, durable and above all : people may actually pay YOU to take the spyder off them...

My idiot proofer is my viking, but idiots don't deserve her ^.^

Cow123
03-23-2007, 03:36 PM
98 ACT with thread adapter?