PDA

View Full Version : AGD as a Niche Marketer?

WalkingTarget
03-23-2007, 01:21 PM
This is kind of in response to the 'how will AGD survive' threads that I have seen over the past several months here and on other boards. So, here is my response to all the questions and concerns raised.

It would also be very interesting to hear from Mr. Kaye and others on this subject.

I'm not exacty a marketing genius, but it seems to me that AGD is in an idea position to garner profits from a unique niche market in paintball.

There are the 'high end' markers, the Average and the Low end. These are generally classified into Electronic, Mechanical and Pump.

the dominant brands on today's scene generally are Smart Parts, Kingman, PMI, Tippmann with minor representation from companies like BT, WGP and WDP.

The basis for AGD's continued survival, and perhaps even it's greatest possibility for sucess, lies in the unique products that can be offered, things that other companies can't offer. things like...

-Mechanical Antichop
-Integrated Regulator
-Ultra Light Mechanical Trigger
-Ultra Light Body
-The Inteli-frame
-The y-frame

The simple, smart answer is: Don't compete with other companies when you don't have to!

AGD has taken a highly unique position in the 'Woodsball' type scene with the Tac-1 body, and in the 'speedball' type scene with the ULT Body. They are already doing what is good for them to sucede in this market!

The fact of all of this is AGD have very little they can do without paying massive royalties, and truely unique products they could produce would sell in quantities so limited as to be more harmful thatn helpful.

Basically, AGD has to wait until there is either a revolution in thinking in regards to players, or Smart Parts gets taken to court and schooled over their illegitimate patents, allowing for the possibility of new development without the gardener brothers doing what they do best.

The other interesting thing to consider is the fact that since WGP is no longer going to be producing the standard Autococker, there may be a market vacuum in the next year or so for high end mechanical markers. If or when this occurs, ADG will be the longest standing manufacturer of a decenty priced high end mechanical marker. This would be the idea opening to market the Pro-Classic or RT to the same people who are interested in Autocockers and even Tippmann markers.

The point is, if you love AGD and their products, buy warpfeeds, flatline air systems and convince others to buy AGD markers. with that kind of word of mouth advertising, they will be in a much better position to market in the near future.

Best regards to all, and sorry for rambling.

-Andy the 'Walking_Target' :D

Dark Side
03-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Yep, convinced 2 of my team members to buy mags. The first was from here, the second just picked up a brand new Tach1.

mag_lover05
03-23-2007, 05:57 PM
i agree with you...i like mech play the best...started with a tippmann...moved to cockers... and now mags. since i enjoy pump play i have owned a couple pumps in the past and currently own a phantom... mags can be electronic, or mech, or even pump... i think that what you are saying is correct and it will probly be happening more and more. i mean thats what happened to me and kind of how i "found" mags.

WalkingTarget
03-23-2007, 06:15 PM
the thing is now, there are no readily available 'high end' mechnicals like there were years ago. you have to go to ADG, Palmers or any number of other manufactures directly to obtain these markers.

In the next couple of years, mechanical markers will probably begin to fade away, as it becomes cheaper to produce electronic markersand players continueto pressure all manufactures for higher rates of fire and softer triggers.

i don't know how many markers i see at the field tuned to fire 25-30bps, who will 'pray and spray'

but among all of this, there will always be a place for people with discerning tastes, who prefer "A more Elegant Weapon, from a more civilized era"

That's why Palmer's Pursuit Shop is still doing great busniness, and thats why AGD will continue to do great business. To succede, they only need to stay the course.

AGD seems to be doing the very smart thing, and matching supply with demand, rather than going for a large production of parts that will sit aorund in a warehouse.

honestly? if we are going to see new developments, it will be when demand picks up to a degree where product will move, and they can order larger parts runs to offset costs ;)

lather
03-23-2007, 08:24 PM
I doubt that Mags sales will go up any appreciable amount with WGP no longer making a Mech Cocker.

I think most Cocker owners will continue using their existing cocker or just go electro with not much thought if WGP stops producing mech Cockers.

If the situation was reversed and AGD stopped production of Mags, wouldnt the vast majority of Mag owners just continue happily using their Mags?

WalkingTarget
03-23-2007, 08:35 PM
that is true *Current* owners will continue to use their existing markers.

my point is that prosepctive buyers have fewer companies to look to for a high end mechanical marker.

for instance, if you wanted a mag that is no longer produced, and you cannot find a used model, then you will procede to look for a suitable alternative.

it's the same concept as going shopping anywhere, if you cannot find the product you are looking for, you will generaly shop around for it, and if you still cannot obtain it, you will buy an alternate product.

think of it this way.

with WGP no longer producing Autocockers, what other companies produce a high end mechanical marker? not including custom shops and PPS... who else produces a nice mech marker?

Tippmann, BT, Ariakon. that's about it, and none of those are on the same footing as an Automag or Autococker.