PDA

View Full Version : Linear Solenoids

yaaaowHuggs
03-23-2007, 02:21 PM
hey guys, i don't really know specifics about pneumags... but i was wondering if any of these would work in place of an mpa-3?
Linear Solenoids (http://w2s.solenoids.com/ledx/ds/LXEZR/LXEZR2e.lasso?pcode=L304)

viper-mayhem
03-23-2007, 03:14 PM
hey guys, i don't really know specifics about pneumags... but i was wondering if any of these would work in place of an mpa-3?
Linear Solenoids (http://w2s.solenoids.com/ledx/ds/LXEZR/LXEZR2e.lasso?pcode=L304)
Thanks, I was trying to find something like this. Also, do anybody know if you can use this to trip the On/Off instead of tripping the sear?

Lenny
03-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks, I was trying to find something like this. Also, do anybody know if you can use this to trip the On/Off instead of tripping the sear?
You kinda need to trip the sear, though. The sear also latches onto the bolt.

JJ8VAN
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM

wouldnt using a solenoid defeat the purpose of a pneumag? if you use a solenoid you're going to need a battery and circuit board... might as well just buy a hyperframe then.

yaaaowHuggs
03-23-2007, 04:44 PM
But would it work, and which one? it'd be like making my own hyperframe in what ever grip frame i wanted...

wjr
03-23-2007, 05:16 PM
But would it work, and which one? it'd be like making my own hyperframe in what ever grip frame i wanted...

You may have better luck looking here:

Solenoid City (www.solenoidcity.com)

They have a very handy system used to select the right solenoid for you.

Keep in mind a ULT= 3.5oz
Rt on/off= 1lb (I think, may want to double check)

yaaaowHuggs
03-23-2007, 09:01 PM
how long should the stroke be? can it be longer, i know it cant be shorter?

yaaaowHuggs
03-23-2007, 09:03 PM
how much does putting an rt on/off in a classic reduce the pull to? thanks eveyone!

wjr
03-23-2007, 09:45 PM
It could be longer I guess. I'm not really an expert on this.. But I would guess that as long as you had a sear stop then you wouldn't damage the on/off.

I'm not sure how light the trigger is with an rt on/off. in a classic. Funny you mention that though. I was just thinking the other day about trying to find a way to measure it.

Pneumagger
03-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Guys.. I hate to burst your bubble... but there already is a linear solenoid gun. It's called the Emag and uses the S-10-50-AGD solenoid from Magnetic Sensor Systems. Unfortunately, this methid ses alot of power and you have a battery pack out front - but we all knew that already.

With a ULT, a fatter shorter weaker noid can be used. We call them pancake noids - but those too are just low profile linear solenoids.

wjr
03-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Guys.. I hate to burst your bubble... but there already is a linear solenoid gun. It's called the Emag and uses the S-10-50-AGD solenoid from Magnetic Sensor Systems. Unfortunately, this methid ses alot of power and you have a battery pack out front - but we all knew that already.

With a ULT, a fatter shorter weaker noid can be used. We call them pancake noids - but those too are just low profile linear solenoids.

But the emag uses a pull type solenoid, and he was talking about using a push type so he could make a hyper frame like gun.

And I've heard of people using a shimmed and shaved rt on/off in their classic valves with hyperframe. I'm not really too sure how well it works though or how good it is for the noid.

Pneumagger
03-24-2007, 11:36 AM
But the emag uses a pull type solenoid, and he was talking about using a push type so he could make a hyper frame like gun.

And I've heard of people using a shimmed and shaved rt on/off in their classic valves with hyperframe. I'm not really too sure how well it works though or how good it is for the noid.

technically, all linear solenoids are pull type. some just have a hole in the case and the rod sticking out the other end. So the magnet is pulling the rod into the field and out the other end. :p

yaaaowHuggs
03-24-2007, 12:02 PM
well i already have an e-mag...
BUT i guess i'll have to tell you all my master plan to get some answers... :ninja:
i want'd to put one of these in a y-grip with a t-board with an rt on/off in a classic valve... maybe eyes too... :cool:
but would it work?

p8ntbal4me
03-24-2007, 12:14 PM
well i already have an e-mag...
BUT i guess i'll have to tell you all my master plan to get some answers... :ninja:
i want'd to put one of these in a y-grip with a t-board with an rt on/off in a classic valve... maybe eyes too... :cool:
but would it work?

Im already working on one of these both EP and straight E.

I really dont want to go public with my design just yet (cause someone else is helping me as well) and Im sure you dont want to give out your designs either.

BUT,... if you want to know parts Ive used, where I got them, and all that little stuff to help you along,... PM me or post here and I will pass whatever I can!

For the on/off: Use an R/T, dont go with a ULT,.. yet. I have found right out the gate that working with the R/T on/off works best. I plan to run tests on my ULT as well, but per TK, the ULT somewhere about 20bps it wont push beyond. If your goal is to reach 20 and stop, great, but why when engineering something would you put limits on your goals?

From my personal tests, the R/T on/off is easiest. I have been toying with an idea to use dual tubular solenoids, but havent persued the idea just yet. I have too much on my plate with the EP kits now and I want to get them done.

Just to get you started: the solenoid found under "Solenoid City" labeled: S-10-50-23H is the minimum I have been able to use with the ULT w/ sear. That should give you a start.

If you have any more questions,.. just post and I will try to help!

Good Luck! :cheers:

~ P8nt

Pneumagger
03-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Im already working on one of these both EP and straight E...
EP mags for the win! It's only a stock ION board, but you get the idea :)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/jrm33/Mag%20Stuff/th_Video2-1.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/jrm33/Mag%20Stuff/?action=view&current=Video2-1.flv)

yaaaowHuggs
03-24-2007, 12:44 PM
well i figured that using an rt on/off in a classic would reduce the force needed to trip the sear, much less than an e-mag with the stock valve and on/off... meaning i can use a smaller noid. which means i can put it in w/e grip i want and not have a gigantic battery in front! i agree if i was doing it in a 45 frame and myself owning an e-mag it would be pretty pointless... BUT i dont plan on putting any of it in a 45 :ninja:

wjr
03-24-2007, 01:05 PM
EP mags for the win! It's only a stock ION board, but you get the idea :)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/jrm33/Mag%20Stuff/th_Video2-1.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/jrm33/Mag%20Stuff/?action=view&current=Video2-1.flv)

Nice! I can't wait till I get my Ion board and solenoids in next week. 'Cept mine is gonna be in a BKO frame, with a half backed classic valve and a palmers stab (LPR is a palmer too).

It's gonna be sweet. :shooting:

Chrishew09
03-28-2007, 02:32 PM
If you want to make your own PCB, and have the entire thing electonic I have a circuit that I have test and it works, it will only allow semi no special fireing modes. Its just a simple comparitor / RC network. PM me and I'll send you the schematics. :)