PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista or XP?

Smoothice
03-24-2007, 05:10 PM
I am buying a new Dell laptop and I can choose between Vista or XP.

My current laptop is XP and I have had no problems with it.

Any input on which OS to choose would be great.

Thanks

Glickman
03-24-2007, 05:29 PM
I am buying a new Dell laptop and I can choose between Vista or XP.

My current laptop is XP and I have had no problems with it.

Any input on which OS to choose would be great.

Thanks

Having tried all of the Microsoft OS' ever put out, i would have to recommend Vista Ultimate.
Honestly, it does run much better then XP (despite me only have 1.5gig ram, although it is DDR667), it has some little intuitive things here and there that make you want to give the big M$ a pat on the back. So far i've had no problems with anything aside from trying to do the "upgrade without reformat" option on my laptop which is highly not recommened.

I would recommend Vista if it doesnt cost extra.

if it does, well, lets just say that with some simple googling and torrent client, anyone can get a copy of vista

zackzel
03-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Depending on the components of the computer you are buying I would say go for vista, its as easy to use as XP and has some cool features. The big down side of it though is if your system isn't going to have a very minimum of I would say a core 2 duo and 2 gigs of ram and a 128mb video card I would stick with XP. Vista is a resource hog. I think that XP media center does just as good of a job lacking a few of the more visually appealing features that Vista has. I computer with less then the above compenents will run vista but not really well.

Smoothice
03-24-2007, 09:37 PM
The big down side of it though is if your system isn't going to have a very minimum of I would say a core 2 duo and 2 gigs of ram and a 128mb video card I would stick with XP.

Here are the specs:

-Inspiron 6400 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
-Memory 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
-Video Card 128MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1300 HyperMemory™

I could add $125 for 2gb of memory, BUT it is it worth it? What is different between the 2 systems?

Having tried all of the Microsoft OS' ever put out, i would have to recommend Vista Ultimate.
I would recommend Vista if it doesnt cost extra.

I would have to add $199 for ultimate.

Is it worth it for the few intuitive things that it does?

Blazestorm
03-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Honestly, stick with XP

I've been running Vista since it's release (Vista Ultimate) and because my dad is a past Microsoft employee it was fairly cheap... ($45)...

As an operating system, it is MUCH faster than XP... it utilizes resources much better and is an overall better experience

But there are many issues with drivers/compatibility... as well as the fact that games and programs run a lot slower because hte operating system is using up resources.

If you play games/use CPU/Ram/HDD/Video intensive programs... I would stick w/ XP

As soon as Vista craps out on me I'll switch back to XP :) But it's honestly been good so far, I got over the slowness of some programs and can't really notice it much anymore (I'm doing HD Video Editing and have zero problems...)

zackzel
03-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Here are the specs:

-Inspiron 6400 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
-Memory 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
-Video Card 128MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1300 HyperMemory™

I could add $125 for 2gb of memory, BUT it is it worth it? What is different between the 2 systems?

I would say 125 is definatly worth it for double the ram. With your specs listed that system with 2 gb's or ram would handle vista no problem. However as Blazestorm stated vista is a resource hog and really in the end it comes down to what you want the computer to do.

Glickman
03-25-2007, 02:41 AM
now, i am not recommending you do anything illegal, cause.... that would be illegal.

but how vista works is that there are no different disks, the version you get is based on the cd key you type in. so.....

*cough* *cough*

google it.