PDA

View Full Version : HPA Trends...what's Hot?

Russ
03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm getting back "into" paintball, and when I was playing, adjustable reg systems were the shizzle.

Flatlines, CenterFlag, Air America etc were the "best" air systems available.

Now it seems everyone is using a screw-in tank, and many companies have discontinued all their adjustable systems?

Why?

...and what's the "best" screw-in for Mags, particularly Mags the shoot fast and like around 1k PSI of input pressure?

olinar
03-27-2007, 07:53 PM
well theres the new i-reg from nitroduck that is an adjustable preset in a sanse. its got spinrgs that you swap out in order to adjust the psi output. its also a screw in. im going to be picking one up as soon as i find a 45/45 tank to my liking.

MANN
03-27-2007, 07:53 PM
I still use my adjustable....but Im old

My oppinion is dont fix it if it isnt broke

olinar
03-27-2007, 08:09 PM
im acctually running a raptor reg, i had a screw in but i just sold it since i dont use it anymore. i would love a raptor rex reg but i cannot find one or anything on them. im starting to think they never existed.

LS1 WS6
03-27-2007, 08:11 PM
For 1000 psi you are going to need an adjustable. I use to have an Air America Apocalypse on my mag and really liked it. Most of the preset screw in high pressure tanks are going to be around 800 to 850 psi. I like Pure Energy regs.

Watch out, because not all adjustables can go that high.

CKY_Alliance
03-27-2007, 08:19 PM
If you want to use screw in go Crossfire HP (red label) they have the some of the most consistent regs out and they have an output of 800-850 psi...

Don't worry about any other brand if you're getting screw in just go crossfire and save yourself time.

Styg's post below reminded me...Draxxus and Cp are releasing tiny tanks, IDK what the numbers for consistancy or output are on them, but I'm sure they are decent..

/wonder why no one had tried to patent tanks/regs yet...

StygShore
03-27-2007, 08:25 PM
well theres the new i-reg from nitroduck that is an adjustable preset in a sanse. its got spinrgs that you swap out in order to adjust the psi output. its also a screw in. im going to be picking one up as soon as i find a 45/45 tank to my liking.

If I ever get a gun :( ... I'll let you know how recharge is on the I-reg - you might want to talk direct to Nitro duck, their new tuffskin tanks are TINY

Styg

cyrus-the-virus
03-27-2007, 08:48 PM
I like the macdev tanks myself...

I'm still running a conquest tank, but it sucks for mags because it's OPP it 650.....

Russ
03-27-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm old, too, and I have no intensions of replacing the Flatlines, or the Mac-Dev Conquest on my Son's 'cocker...

that said, I still would like to know the the "best" pre-set screw-in reg is?

The CenterFlag 420 SV is sweet, as is the Mac-Dev Legionair pre-set. I like the CP reg as well. All are easily rebuildable as well.

MANN
03-27-2007, 09:01 PM
If I ever get a gun :( ... I'll let you know how recharge is on the I-reg - you might want to talk direct to Nitro duck, their new tuffskin tanks are TINY

Styg

Still no gun??

Chronobreak
03-27-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm getting back "into" paintball, and when I was playing, adjustable reg systems were the shizzle.

Flatlines, CenterFlag, Air America etc were the "best" air systems available.

Now it seems everyone is using a screw-in tank, and many companies have discontinued all their adjustable systems?

Why?

...and what's the "best" screw-in for Mags, particularly Mags the shoot fast and like around 1k PSI of input pressure?

adjustable screw ins are where its at ;) :ninja:

there is the I-reg and a few others.

Dead Eye
03-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Count me a s old too... I still use my Armageddon every time I play, and it's on a 114/4500.

I also have an older Max Flow that I just picked up. love them both.

Croddfire hands down for screw in presets.

warbeak2099
03-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Nitro Duck also makes the X-stream. It's a screw in that is adjustable up to 900psi with an allen key.

Caboose
03-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Unless you have a mag, you don't need anything other than a preset HP tank. LP is for the regless Angels and nothing else. HP is good for everything else.

Dye Throttles are great. Crossfire is definately one of the best. Pure Energy is so-so.

Chronobreak
03-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Unless you have a mag, you don't need anything other than a preset HP tank. LP is for the regless Angels and nothing else. HP is good for everything else.

Dye Throttles are great. Crossfire is definately one of the best. Pure Energy is so-so.

throttles seem to fill slow, and have a horrid recharge rate...

crossfire is good

Caboose
03-27-2007, 10:08 PM

crossfire is good
Throttles work great for me. Generally, filling slow is a good thing... cold fills and all. I've never run into any shootdown with mine going all the way up to 35 bps (yes, ramping :rolleyes: ).

Al_Steel
03-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Adjustables are great if you have a mechanical marker and want to mess with your trigger's reactivity. If you have a reactive trigger valve then you can use an adjustable regulator to make your marker fire a bit faster.

If you have a mag Classic valve I don't think this will have any affect on the ROF and you are better off with a fixed output pressure, ~850psi is best for mags.

That said, not all regulators are created equal. Some recharge quicker than others, which will result in less shootdown at higher ROF. Crossfire is one of the best, so if you get a high pressure (red) Crossfire fixed regulator you are pretty much set in a Classic Mag. The Crossfire X-stream reg is only adjustable to 900psi. I think this is just shy of getting a RT to go into a rapid fire "bounce" mode so it may not work. I really don't know, haven't tried. You can get a Crossfire tank that is fixed at 1000psi (I asked CF about this) so if you know the point where your marker's trigger will bounce then you could go fixed.

Zak Vetter (www.zakvetter.com) has had experience with different adjustable valves and has posted his suggestions. You may want to take a look at those if you have an RT and want to get the highest ROF possible... it's pretty high BTW. :D

MaD_SaM
03-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I have a Retro Mag with a CenterFlag DynaFlow Air System (adjustable) with an output pressure of 1000psi. Trigger is very reactive. It has that nice on/off button that bleeds your marker in seconds. IMO you should go for the DynaFlow (http://store.centerflagproducts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=174&categoryID=2#) , a quick turn of an allan key and you can set the PSI to what ever you want. I rather turn an allan key then to switch out a spring.

bound for glory
03-28-2007, 08:20 AM
oi! dead eye, i have the same setup as you! last of a dying breed as for the 114 tanks. my right arm is pretty buff lol!

CKY_Alliance
03-28-2007, 04:02 PM

crossfire is good

I've never had anything but problems with throttles...and they are heavy.

Jerhew
03-28-2007, 08:43 PM
I, too, am oldskool and just getting back into it after about a 2 year layoff...
I was running a 68/45 AA Raptor Rex(yes, they do exist olinar) at 1k psi on my ult'd retromag and the trigger is beautiful on it, soft and very reactive, but not to the point of runaway bounce
now I'm finally able to get back into it and guess what I'm changing....
nothing.
i don't care how outdated anyone says my setup is, i'll probably use it until im so old, people will feel bad shooting me(thinking 70's), then ill retire(and i know my mag will last that long)

if you can get a crossfire preset at 1000psi for an rt mag, that'd be just fine IMO

new2mags
03-28-2007, 08:54 PM
i will be needing a new tank soon if i pick up another mag, has anyone used the ones that are screw in adjustable with the springs? any comments?

Jerhew
03-28-2007, 10:00 PM
i have a friend that has a nitro duck xstream, i see that theyre still around
as long as you're ok with a 900psi max output, the xstream is an excellent adjustable screw-in tank

Desega
03-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Anyone ever seen the pure energy 72/45 peanut tank, big, yet tiny.

MaD_SaM
03-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Do they still sell 114/4500 tanks NIB? and if so where can I get one? sorry dont mean to highjack this thread.