PDA

View Full Version : Any hams on here?

grEnAlEins
03-28-2007, 08:36 PM
I just passed my Technician test on Saturday and hope to have a hand-held soon. IDK my call sign yet, but I should find out soon. Just wondering if anyone else on here does the whole amateur radio thing.

:cheers:

Nick

Ole Unka Phil
03-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I been messing with it some. Spent most of the last part of last year studying my Code but dang if they didn't drop it. So I have yet to go take my exam! Need to get back on that. Probably forgot most of the stuff I had memorized for the test. Will have to brush up.

Some of my Radio stuff

http://www.cphilip.com/9.html

neppo1345
03-28-2007, 11:30 PM
This summer I worked with a guy who has been doing it for the past 30 years or so.

I was going to go take classes and get certified (he was going to give me some equipment) but I realized it would be too hard to get something going with my constant moving for college.

He had some stories though. Everything from talking to astronauts, watching his 30 meter antenna get struck by lightning while he was on the porch drinking a beer, to using satellites to bounce signals around the world.

If I ever graduate college I might pick it up.

Altimas
03-29-2007, 07:28 AM
I am actually a Ham myself. Just technician for right now, just havnt gone to a ham fest yet to take my General test.

73s!!!

skife
03-29-2007, 11:06 AM
buddy of mine is certified.
i dont know much about it, the closest thing to HAM i've used is a CB.

we've got like a 12 foot antenna outside. nothing's hooked up though.

grEnAlEins
03-29-2007, 11:47 AM
C-Phil,
That is a fancy lookin setup you got there. I am just going with a hand held for now, but hope to have a setup like that eventually.

I am actually a Ham myself. Just technician for right now, just havnt gone to a ham fest yet to take my General test.

73s!!!
Cool man. What is your call sign? What kind of setup do you run?

Altimas
03-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Right now I am mostly on 2-Meter talking on the local Repeaters. I live ontop of a mountain and have no problems at all with my Mag mount antenna on a cookie sheet. But I bought me a really nice vertical antenna and about 100 ft. of Coax at the last hamfest. I just havnt gotten it put up yet. Im using a Yaesu FT-8500 with one of the Potato Head Mics. I have a HF Rig but I just listen on it since I cant transmit yet. I'll PM you my Callsign.

d4m4don3
03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
My next door neighbor has a huge ham radio antenna in his back office. I believe he also has a repeater thats installed on one of the buildings at Kaiser Permanente. When I was a kid we couldn't use his computers for a while because he was part of some military relay system during the 1st gulf war. Used to spend time there with his son talking to people all over the us and sometimes the other countries.

pendulous
03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
I just passed my Technician test on Saturday and hope to have a hand-held soon. IDK my call sign yet, but I should find out soon. Just wondering if anyone else on here does the whole amateur radio thing.

:cheers:

Nick

Yep, extra class AB4KJ

ahellers
03-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Im assuming all you guys are Using the HF freq range right? weve got a RT 9000 at work, but we never use it, HF in the great lakes seems to suck.
t

grEnAlEins
03-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Yep, extra class AB4KJ
Ooooooooo, fancy :wow: An extra huh? You must know your stuff :cool: I saw some of that test, and it looked to be difficult.

Ole Unka Phil
03-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Many Colleges have a Radio club. Clemson has one thats small but loaded with equipment.

grEnAlEins
03-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Many Colleges have a Radio club. Clemson has one thats small but loaded with equipment.
My school does not have one, but my Socy prof is the pres of the county club IIRC. Oh and C-Phil, I have the ARRL study guide for the technician test if you want it (if that is the test you are gonna take). That thing is a godsend. It is like 75 pages of actual questions and answers from old tests. LMK if you want it and I can make a copy and send it to ya :cool: They gave a copy to me for free before taking the test so I could look it over.

maxama10
01-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Thread revival !

Well, ive been studying on QRZ and a little book I have and I'm gonna try to get my technician here in the next few weeks. My neighbor is gonna find me a test date and all in Reno. He's even got a repeater set up at his house.

Then I think my friend is gonna give me his old Icom radio. Not the best but to just start out its fine for me.

If not ill go get a 2m Kenwood for my truck. I really only want it because I live in the middle of nowhere NV and go fourwheeling a lot. That and if disaster happens my town will be the last to be helped.

p8ntbal4me
01-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I have my HAM Amature License. I went for the 5 word a minute code and test when I was in grade school.

Im out of NH for my call sign.

I sent my money in for the re-newal but it hasnt come back to me yet,.... guess I should start studying for a new one.

All Ive ever had was a 220 ahnd held and a rubber ducky for mobile reasons.

I had a larger post on my house but I took that down a few years ago.

Since I was in the Marine Corp I can code almost 15 words a minute now.

Theres a guy that lives up the street that has a van FULL of equipment! (his wife doesnt want more than 1 room of raido gear in the house) :)

~ P8nt