PDA

View Full Version : Tourney advice needed

bryceeden
03-29-2007, 09:19 PM
OK, I registered one of my stores teams for the Spyder cup but we have never played three man. We've played alot of 5 and some 7 man stuff but never 3. Does anyone have any advice on how to best train for the differences and such? Three is not many players so I don't really know how to best react to it as dropping one early will be a much bigger problem. Any help would be great.

68magOwner
03-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, focus on eliminating one opponent, then go on the attack hard. If you shoot one out then wait a while, the remaining 2 players can communicate and get things back on lockdown, but, if you just tear down the field as soon as you G1, they wolnt have time to close holes before you are through them.

With only 3 guns up on the other side of the field, making big moves off the break becomes extremly easy, dont hold back, but, dont get shot either.

If you drop a player, cross it up, talk it out, get it done.

CKY_Alliance
03-29-2007, 09:42 PM
All guns rolling off break, make sure you run and gun..

White_Noise
03-29-2007, 09:49 PM
usually for 3 man ive done atleast 2 guys run and gun, with one guy posting, possibly all run and gun to your bunkers. keep your head up off the break and watch where everyone went, it'll be alot easier than 5 man and will be good to know as soon as you get to your bunker.

for most fields for 3 man, then center is the easiest spot to send someone far off the break, usually lots to hide behind and can possibly hide behind their gun to move up further.

as soon as you get G1, everyone should be moving up to atleast the 30 so you can pinch the other team out. if you play smart and aggressive you can get games down to under a minute with 2-3 guys left no problem.

Desega
03-29-2007, 11:24 PM
HAHAHA! This thread makes me laugh. I'm on the previously mentioned team, and we could definatly use some advice. Bryce, I think we should do some jousting as practice.

Jimmykaboots
03-29-2007, 11:34 PM
HAHAHA! This thread makes me laugh. I'm on the previously mentioned team, and we could definatly use some advice. Bryce, I think we should do some jousting as practice.

Jousting ha, thats what those uber long two piece barrels everyone uses are for, CHARGE!

Desega
03-29-2007, 11:41 PM
LOL! No, jousting is when two players (one on each end of the field) run towards a center bunker while firing at eachother. The only rules are you can't stop moving, and first one to the center wins, or first on hit loses.

Jimmykaboots
03-29-2007, 11:43 PM
LOL! No, jousting is when two players (one on each end of the field) run towards a center bunker while firing at eachother. The only rules are you can't stop moving, and first one to the center wins, or first on hit loses.

really? I never heard of that rule, so in tournament if two people on opposing teams are running towards centre bunker(does it have to be the exact centre bunker, or bunkers around the centre), the first one who makes it there, the other person is out even if he/she didn't get shot?

Desega
03-29-2007, 11:47 PM
No, it's a practice drill, we don't use it in real tourneys.

Jimmykaboots
03-30-2007, 12:26 AM
No, it's a practice drill, we don't use it in real tourneys.

O gotcha, thats a good practise drill, if you don't mind I think I'll run that through with my team durring practise. Unless you consider it plagerizm or have patented it then we won't, no I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being serious, with Smart parts these days next thing you know the paintball will be patented by Smart Parts and then no one can produce paintballs.

68magOwner
03-30-2007, 01:45 AM
....i cant tell if you are being serious in your posts or not (Jimmykaboots).

I have never heard of anything thinking that "jousting" is part of a tournament. Or asking for permission to do a drill.

Oh, and for the record, your not suppossed to run to a middle bunker when jousting, your suppossed to each run down a tape.

Head knight of Ni
03-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Two words: Break Dancing.

Honestly, aggressive play wins three man. Buying the other competitors a "few"* rounds, at the bar the night before, also helps.

* I mean AFTICA's definition of a "few" drinks. ;)

ProblemKinder
03-30-2007, 02:37 AM
....i cant tell if you are being serious in your posts or not (Jimmykaboots).

I have never heard of anything thinking that "jousting" is part of a tournament. Or asking for permission to do a drill.

Oh, and for the record, your not suppossed to run to a middle bunker when jousting, your suppossed to each run down a tape.

i think "supposed" is a strong word. there isn't one way you're "supposed" to joust. Jousting can be done running to a bunker or running down the tape, it depends on what the two members involved feel will help them best.

Blazestorm
03-30-2007, 02:50 AM
Easiest way to play... 2 guys to the corner 1 guy up the middle to the center 30/50

There was a local 3man series that was BIG. Pretty much the most typical breakout, sometimes one would stay in center if it made more sense (big lanes to shoot) etc.

In all reality, 3man is more personal skill than team. If you lose one guy in 3man, it's usually 1 guy who does something smart to get more eliminations... atleast from what I've seen...

I'm rambling on... 3man is simple paintball if you play smart and do a job... aka go to a corner, wrap and shoot, run down the tape... if you're at the center 50, you get there and a.) go around and shoot the guy who went to the center 50 and get to their 30 and shoot them... or die trying...

trevorjk
03-30-2007, 03:52 AM
or die trying...

i dont think we want anyone dying now ;) or getting hurt :cheers:

Lohman446
03-30-2007, 05:30 AM
It is very easy to lose track of a player in three man, and because you don't have enough eyes to be watching all the time it is very easy for that player to cause a lot of problems. If you get into a snake or ladder unnoticed (which is far easier than it sounds) and can move up it quickly you can decimate the other team. Tides can also change quickly in a three man as the difference in 3v3 and 2v1 is major. Be aggressive, be ready to take opportunities that result in you taking 2 players out, even if it results in your elimination.

bryceeden
03-30-2007, 07:15 AM
O gotcha, thats a good practise drill, if you don't mind I think I'll run that through with my team durring practise. Unless you consider it plagerizm or have patented it then we won't, no I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being serious, with Smart parts these days next thing you know the paintball will be patented by Smart Parts and then no one can produce paintballs.

Since we "borrowed" it from Dynasty Smart Parts may have a patent on it already ;)

Easiest way to play... 2 guys to the corner 1 guy up the middle to the center 30/50

There was a local 3man series that was BIG. Pretty much the most typical breakout, sometimes one would stay in center if it made more sense (big lanes to shoot) etc.

In all reality, 3man is more personal skill than team. If you lose one guy in 3man, it's usually 1 guy who does something smart to get more eliminations... atleast from what I've seen...

I'm rambling on... 3man is simple paintball if you play smart and do a job... aka go to a corner, wrap and shoot, run down the tape... if you're at the center 50, you get there and a.) go around and shoot the guy who went to the center 50 and get to their 30 and shoot them... or die trying...

The rules on this one allow you to "break" from anywhere on the back line. Your team dosn't have to stay together or anything you start from where ever you want so it won't be hard to make it to whatever bunker you want off the break.

Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming.

Also the rules require the use of Spyders and the only upgrades allowed are Barrel, feedneck, regulator, and bolt. So marker wize everyone will be about the same it'll come down to skill for sure.

StygShore
03-30-2007, 08:48 AM
They still giving out a car to the winners? Or did they realize they have to sell a lot of Spyders to pay for that thing?

Styg

bryceeden
03-30-2007, 09:37 AM
They still giving out a car to the winners? Or did they realize they have to sell a lot of Spyders to pay for that thing?

Styg

They're still doing the cars, but you have to use Spyders, its field paint only, and they expect like 600 teams so they may be able to pay for them.

Desega
03-30-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm way stoked, and even though SP owns Dynasty, everyone should be able to run a joust. I'm going to be rocking a vs3 with a pepperstick barrel, yellow highlights to match our jerseys. I also gotta give mad props to our sponsors for sending us all the way from Utah to Cali on this trip. Paintball Addiction (Bryceeden's store) Pizza Hut, Eightball Trucking, Northern Oil, and hopefully more coming soon. :cheers:

bryceeden
03-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Nice shameless plug. So Basically the reccomendation is be aggressive but not stupid. Sounds good.

Toll
03-30-2007, 05:11 PM
If you can shoot one guy off the break you're chances are going to win. You effectively eliminated 1/3 of the opposing players. Who ever loses a member first is going to be at a huge disadvantage.

If you get desperate all of you can put paint at the same target while hitting your bunkers and try to maximize a 3v2 but it's probably not a good idea

Desega
04-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think that our biggest problem w/ everyone on one player is tunnel vision. I don't know though.

CKY_Alliance
04-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Ye tunnel vision isnt good...just work all sides of your bunker(minimize coming over the top if at all) and if your teamates are doing their job then you should only have to focus on what you need to get done...

bryceeden
04-02-2007, 07:53 AM
Ye tunnel vision isnt good...just work all sides of your bunker(minimize coming over the top if at all) and if your teamates are doing their job then you should only have to focus on what you need to get done...

Yes, tunnel vision is bad. But an occasional over the bunker snap is one of the best ways to mix it up and catch the other guy off guard, you don't want to do it alot but sometimes its a great way to go.

CKY_Alliance
04-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes, tunnel vision is bad. But an occasional over the bunker snap is one of the best ways to mix it up and catch the other guy off guard, you don't want to do it alot but sometimes its a great way to go.

Ye also if there isnt much gun fire going on, coming over the top gives you a good view of the field and lets you get your barrings..but deff don't want to do it too much..

bryceeden
04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Hopefully there won't be a lot of down time on the field since its 3 man 3 min.