PDA

View Full Version : Officially a Mag Owner

WalkingTarget
04-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Hehehehe

Just recieved my first mag from one of the good folks over on MCB.

it's an Old mag.... i mean old enough that the valve/reg is stamped "68 Automag" not "68 Classic Automag".

the real kicker for me, and one that i'm having a tough time seeing elsewhere, is the fact that the rail isn't drilled/tapped for an ASA. it's a PF left body with a rail that seem to have dovetail sight rails milled into both sides, and mounts a backbottle ASA. valve has matched serials, CF32027.

about how old is this beast? i think it's older than most because of the lack of an ASA hole and the sight rails on the rail.

anywho, i just can't wait to take this thing out in a couple weeks... i don't know what people are always whining about, with a backbottle setup and a 12oz tank (or a 45/3k) this thing isn't any worse than another marker with a bottomline...

olinar
04-02-2007, 10:56 AM
it pretty old. automags started with only backbottles and if you wanted a foregrip you would have to buy a minimag. how much did you pay for it?

WalkingTarget
04-02-2007, 11:08 AM
roughly equivilent to $120 american (doing a bunch of leatherworking for the previous owner)

came with the mag, J&J 12" ceramic, Crown point, 8" Dye stainless and a J&J stainless back (need to buy a tip).

has the CF frame and black wood grips.

as for the overall condition... other than a couple scratches/scuffs on the body, it's like new. it literally looks like someone bought it, aired it up and stowed it in the bottom of thier gearback for the last 10 years.

... and it doesn't leak, last aired up last summer, still has (to my knowledge) all the original parts, incluing a foamy-less bolt.

sweet piece of mag

Desega
04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
pics?

Railgun
04-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Welcome to Aupmag ownership. I got my own just a few weeks before yours.

What with the weather around here I only got out to play with my own 'mag just this past weekend. However it's definetly a keeper.

My setup has a Classic valve on a straight in right feed body and I've got a PMI SS barrel. Accuracy is sweet but I had some issues with barrel breaks from the three month old paint I was using. I was breaking about 1 in 20 or so. Just enough to be really annoying.

However what I did find that I liked was the feel of the 'mag both in handling and the way it fires. You're in for a treat once you get out playing with it.

Smoothice
04-02-2007, 02:12 PM
the real kicker for me, and one that i'm having a tough time seeing elsewhere, is the fact that the rail isn't drilled/tapped for an ASA. it's a PF left body with a rail that seem to have dovetail sight rails milled into both sides, and mounts a backbottle ASA. valve has matched serials, CF32027.

about how old is this beast? i think it's older than most because of the lack of an ASA hole and the sight rails on the rail.

Have you removed the rail from the body to see if there is a hole drilled 99% of the way where the vertical asa hole should be?

Mine did not appear to have the vertical asa hole drilled until I removed the body from the frame. I then noticed that the hole was there but had a little bit of metal that still needed to be removed. It took about 2 seconds of drilling and the metal was removed.

This is what mine looked like before I removed the body and found the 99% drilled hole
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/39000/automag3.jpg (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic/39545.html)

I'm curious about the the dove tail on your rail. Does it look like this?
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/39000/automag2.jpg (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic/39544.html)

if so that dovetailed piece is not attached to the rail. It slides over the body.

viper-mayhem
04-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Welcome - Welcome. I just bought mine 3 weeks ago and used it for the first time this past weekend. All I can say is that I'm impressed with how well they perform. You will find the people here are very helpful to newcomers.

WalkingTarget
04-02-2007, 03:07 PM
smoothice was right, mine has 90% drilled hole..

i like the virgin rail though, so if i want to mount an ASA, i'll get another rail :)

Smoothice
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
smoothice was right, mine has 90% drilled hole..

i like the virgin rail though, so if i want to mount an ASA, i'll get another rail :)

Spoken like a true AO member. Why use what you already have when you can buy another.

Welcome to the family!

Jaan
04-02-2007, 03:49 PM
I bought my first 'Mag at the end of 1995, and the serial # is CF32323. How's that for an easy number to remember?

Mine also did not come with a verticle ASA and did come with a back bottle adaptor already in place. Unlike you, I drilled mine out for a verticle ASA before I even shot it once (c: