PDA

View Full Version : Keep it, or move on??

meshark
04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi, I am returing to the paintball world and haven't played in several years. My borther has a 68 automag that he bought a several years ago that is in great working order. Everything on it is stock. The only problem is the gun is all he has, no tank (its out of date), no hopper ect ect. So I am trying to figure out what the best plan of action is. A new air tank at my local shop is 80 bucks (and its a far drive to refill it everyweekend compared to the close Dicks that does Co2). So if I have to shell out 80 for a air tank then all the other stuff I'm wondering if it would be best just to buy a new gun. I've been lookin at the new 98 customs and new comp select autocockers. From what I understand the mag is a great gun, just out of date. I'm not sure how I feel investing alot of money into it, while for a little more I can get a whole new setup. Just looking for advice, thanks in advance,
Mark

GroovYChickeN 2.o
04-02-2007, 10:59 AM
What kind of valve is on the mag? If it is a classic valve you can just run co2.

meshark
04-02-2007, 11:06 AM
It has the A.I.R. Valve, the guy at the paintball shop said in the summer I could run Co2, but it wouldn't be best for the gun.

CKY_Alliance
04-02-2007, 11:09 AM
If you get an anti-siphon tank and a 6-stage (i believe, maybe 4 stage) expansion chamber you should be just fine...there are plenty of AO'ers who have the same problem with N2 so they run CO2..

WalkingTarget
04-02-2007, 11:10 AM
the AIR valve is supposed to work with CO2 as i remember...

so, i think that with an anti-siphoned CO2 tank, you'd be golden. just add and x-chamber.

meshark
04-02-2007, 11:26 AM
I was looking online for expansion chambers and found a 32 degrees on for around 25 bucks shipped on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-32-degrees-EXPANSION-CHAMBER-IN-BLACK_W0QQitemZ190098084519QQcategoryZ10554QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem) . If I am to stick with the automag would a barrel upgrade be a good choice? If so what way should I look at going?

WalkingTarget
04-02-2007, 11:30 AM
I was looking online for expansion chambers and found a 32 degrees on for around 25 bucks shipped on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-32-degrees-EXPANSION-CHAMBER-IN-BLACK_W0QQitemZ190098084519QQcategoryZ10554QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem) . If I am to stick with the automag would a barrel upgrade be a good choice? If so what way should I look at going?

J&J are always a good name, as are Dye.

personally, looking down my Crownpoint, i see no reason it needs to be upgraded unless you need something with a small bore to handle small paint.

93civiccpe
04-02-2007, 11:38 AM
A new barrel depends on what kind of play you are doing and what kind of barrel you currently have. To get a tighter grouping/more consistency, typically a paint to barrel match helps but that will cost you a good bit. I would advise you to just take it out and try it with the stock barrel, or check the Classified forums here on automags.org and look at picking up a couple of those twistlock barrels for cheap. (Usually you can get a decent barrel on here for 10-15 bucks cheap. Then I'd try the two in order to see what you like better. More porting means it's a little quieter but less efficient on air. Longer typically is a little better for tighter groupings. Honestly, I'd try what you have first or maybe pick up one extra used barrel and see how you like it.