PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Smartmag valve

custar
04-04-2007, 12:43 AM
I picked up a Smartmag valve (no Magic Box) as part of a package deal. I am having issues with the on/off, so I seek help from the sage experts here.

Can I swap the on/off in the Smartmag valve with a stock on/off, or am I stuck with the Smartmag on/off? This seems to be the source of the problem. Most of the time when I air it up, there is a leak from the on/off pin. Sometimes the pin will stay extended, making it difficult to remove the valve from the body (stock AM stainless steel body). Other times, the pin won't come out at all.

Am I missing something here?

custar

athomas
04-04-2007, 07:44 AM
The on-off assemblies are interchangeable.

flyingpootang
04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
The best on/off replacement would be an RT on/off with a .750 pin @ 15.00 in the classified section. It will give you a very light and constant trigger pull. With the pin be part way out after degassing is normal on mags. You just have to seperate the trigger frame along with the body and push the pin back in.

custar
04-04-2007, 01:15 PM
The best on/off replacement would be an RT on/off with a .750 pin @ 15.00 in the classified section. It will give you a very light and constant trigger pull. With the pin be part way out after degassing is normal on mags. You just have to seperate the trigger frame along with the body and push the pin back in.

First, thanks for the info guys. This is one of the many reasons this is one of the three best PB sites on the net.

I have run into the problem of the pin staying out enough to catch on the hole in the body, but with the Smartmag, I had a really difficult time pushing it in far enough to extricate the valve from the body. After taking it apart, the top teflon o-ring was out of place. I basically had to compress that o-ring to push in the pin enough for it to clear the body.

Now off to the classifieds for that RT on/off.

custar

flyingpootang
04-04-2007, 05:33 PM
You should have 2 o-rings on top of the on/off. The center one maybe to small... Post an add in the classified ISO on the Rt on/off w/.750 pin or contact Tuna at [email protected]

custar
04-04-2007, 05:43 PM
You should have 2 o-rings on top of the on/off. The center one maybe to small... Post an add in the classified ISO on the Rt on/off w/.750 pin or contact Tuna at [email protected]

Yep, a smaller teflon o-ring inside a larger urethane o-ring. This pattern is repeated on the bottom of the on/off.

custar

custar
05-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Update:

I tried an RT pro on/off to no good effect. The valve airs up and holds air fine. However, when I squeeze the trigger, it is very tight and the marker doesn't cycle. Any ideas on what the problem(s) is/are?

custar

maglover728
05-06-2007, 06:55 AM
If I remember, and I may be in error, the pin length from an R/T on/off and a classic on/off are not the same. Ask around about that. Also, from the original post, it sounds like you may just need to replace the o-rings inside the on/off. Did you try that before spending the money for a new assembly?

What do you that the o-ring patern is repeated at the bottom of the on/off?
http://www.airgun.com/downloads/valveexplodedview.pdf
Two at the top, one in the middle and one on the on/off assembly bottom piece. Thats it.

athomas
05-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Yep, a smaller teflon o-ring inside a larger urethane o-ring. This pattern is repeated on the bottom of the on/off.

custarThere should be two orings at the top (one inside the other). Between the 2 halves, there is only 1 small oring pressed into the bottom part of the assembly. A large oring goes around the base of the bottom part of the assembly.

The classic on-off pin length is the same as the standard retro on-off pin at .750" in length.

custar
05-06-2007, 12:46 PM
After doing some more research, the original on/off in the Smartmag valve is a Reactor on/off. Okay, I admit it wasn't actually research; I lucked onto that information.

The RT Pro on/off is exactly as athomas described it. I did try replacing the o-rings with the Reactor on/off, and I continued those over to the RT Pro on/off. I'll try it all again this afternoon or this evening and see if I have installed anything incorrectly.

Thanks for the help.

custar

Sumthinwicked
05-07-2007, 02:51 AM
lol i have one to but mine works LOL they are just great arnt they i owned 2 ;P gl in your endevors ever want to get rid of it let me know

custar
05-07-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm not attached to it. PM me an offer, and we can work out something.

custar

KayleAGD
05-07-2007, 02:13 PM
you may want to chect the sear rod length , sounds too short ..

I also have a box of reactor valves if anyone is interested ..

custar
05-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Valves or on/off assemblies?

custar

KayleAGD
05-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Valves or on/off assemblies?

custar

the "reactor valve" is a replacement on/off assembly ...