PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Chamber qustion for 68Automag valve

meshark
04-04-2007, 04:36 PM
For starters I am pretty much new to paintball and my bro had a 68Automag with the A.I.R. Valve. Aa far as I know the gun is completely stock. I am trying to use Co2 in the gun, so I bought a expansion chamber off ebay (here's the link (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-32-degrees-EXPANSION-CHAMBER-IN-BLACK_W0QQitemZ190098084519QQcategoryZ10554QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem) ) There is a decent chance I bought the worng thing, seeing as how I'm not sure where it goes. The only female part on the gun is where the tank goes. So I'm wondering if I bought the worng part, or If i need some add on to use it. Either way i'm just trying to figure it out, Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Smoothice
04-04-2007, 04:55 PM
That will work fine.

A picture of your gun would help.

Here is what mine looked like stock
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/39000/automag2.jpg (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic/39544.html)

If this is what yours looks like then I would recommend getting a vertical asa to screw the expansion chamber into.

This is what my gun looks like after the vertical asa and expansion chamber were added
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/39000/DSC01106_rs.JPG (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic/39874.html)

I also added a drop forward and new trigger frame. Neither of these are required.

If you go this route with the vertical asa then you will need to rerun your hoses. I would recommend putting a quick connect where the hose goes into the valve.

Here is what mine looks like with the hoses run
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/40000/IMAGE_00204_rs.jpg (http://www.jayloo.com/photo_gallery/show_pic/40663.html)

(this gun is now a pneumag- yours will not need that extra silver piece (lpr) coming out of the vertical asa)

I would also recommend putting an antisiphon tube into your co2 tank. This is only about $5-10 at your local pb store.

meshark
04-04-2007, 05:15 PM
here are a couple of picutes of my gun, i hope it works. it looks pretty similar to yours,

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w296/meshark03/Picture002.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w296/meshark03/Picture001.jpg

Smoothice
04-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah. I would recommend getting the vertical asa for the expansion chamber. It will look good and you will like the feel of a foregrip.

You will need to run new hoses. Or at least get 1 more length of hose. 1 from the back bottle asa (which you have) to the expansion chamber & 1 from the expansion chamber to the valve.

And i would definetly recommend the antisiphon tube for your co2 tank.

Smoothice
04-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Also, It looks like the hole for the vertical asa is not visible.

All you should need to do is remove the body from the rail. You will see a hole where the vertical asa hole should be. It will be 99% drilled out. There will just be a little bit of metal left for you to remove with a drill.

Spider-TW
04-04-2007, 05:21 PM
You bought the right thing. You just need more ;)

The Vertical ASA on smoothice's gun is the straight part above the expansion chamber/grip in front. It's only about 1.5 inches long and has threads like your back bottle adapter. It should come with a screw that mounts it in a hole in your rail. You will probably have a blind hole in your rail now that you will have to drill out for the screw. It's pretty thin and easy if you have any kind of drill. There's no air going through the hole, so it is not critical.

Screw your exp. chamber in the to vertical ASA. Now you have to run a hose from your bottle adapter to the bottom of the ASA, and a hose from the side of the ASA to your valve. If you think about the hose to the bottom of the ASA, you'll see why most people put on a 'bottom line' or drop forward ASA so that the hose won't lay across your hand or bow around. But if you go under the grip, you'll also need the anti-siphon tank since the tank is now more horizontal. :rolleyes:

So, at a minimum, you'll also need a vertical ASA, another pair of air line elbows, and another air line. All of it should be around $20-$30 or less.

For CO2 though, expansion chambers are great. :D

Russ
04-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Here's what you need...

http://www.tunamart.com/index.php?c=27&p=87

Tunaman is the best. Buy with confidence! :cheers:

meshark
04-04-2007, 05:44 PM
wow, thanks for the help it makes sense, and i should be able to get it all done just fine. i was wanting to add a drop foward, anyone know a good place to get one? on another note, i doubt i can get all this by this weekend, and my friends are planning on playing on sunday, will it hurt my gun to run Co2 w/o the expansion chamber? or should i hold off?

Smoothice
04-04-2007, 05:48 PM
wow, thanks for the help it makes sense, and i should be able to get it all done just fine. i was wanting to add a drop foward, anyone know a good place to get one? on another note, i doubt i can get all this by this weekend, and my friends are planning on playing on sunday, will it hurt my gun to run Co2 w/o the expansion chamber? or should i hold off?

It should be fine.

Stay away from long strings of fast shots.

Also don't have them fill your co2 all the way. If it is a 20oz tank have them fill it to 16 or 17 oz.

This will help keep the liquid co2 out.

Smoothice
04-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Here's what you need...

http://www.tunamart.com/index.php?c=27&p=87

Tunaman is the best. Buy with confidence! :cheers:

you may be able to get them cheaper in the b/s/t section for a used one.

Russ
04-04-2007, 06:07 PM
you may be able to get them cheaper in the b/s/t section for a used one.

You will also need new hoses and fittings along with that ASA. Tunaman can hook you up right.

Smoothice
04-04-2007, 06:11 PM
You will also need new hoses and fittings along with that ASA. Tunaman can hook you up right.

agreed. If you are looking to purchase everything at once (asa, hoses, fittings) tuna is the place to go.

I don't believe he sells drops though.

I would highly recommend checking the b/s/t's for these items. You will save at least 50% from buying new. I wish I would have done it that way instead of purchasing new online.

Russ
04-04-2007, 06:16 PM
agreed. If you are looking to purchase everything at once (asa, hoses, fittings) tuna is the place to go.

I don't believe he sells drops though.

I would highly recommend checking the b/s/t's for these items. You will save at least 50% from buying new. I wish I would have done it that way instead of purchasing new online.

True dat, but in my case, I've bought so much used "stuff" that I couldn't use for one reason or another, that now I prefer to buy new "stuff" whenever I can.

Sorry for getting off-track :argh:

meshark
04-04-2007, 09:08 PM
I could be blind, or not looking for the right name, but I failed to find hoses on tuna's site, is this something i can pick up at lowes? or a specail item?

Smoothice
04-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I could be blind, or not looking for the right name, but I failed to find hoses on tuna's site, is this something i can pick up at lowes? or a specail item?

tuna sells 20 x more then what is on his site. The best thing would be to email him. or pm him.

tunaman

Also. before ordering you need to decide how long of hoses you need. That depends on your setup.

Are you putting a drop forward? (measure the 1/8npt hole from the asa to your expansion chamber)

Are you going to use a quick disconnect? (measure from the 1/8npt hole in the top of the expansion chamber to the valve) If you are using a quick disconnect you need to factor in the length it will take up (about an inch).If you are not using a quick disconnect then you need to have enough extra hose to be able to remove the valve without unscrewing the hose.

meshark
04-04-2007, 10:16 PM
ok, gotcha. looks like i need to get my stuff put on then measure my hoses. yeah, i'm planning on using a drop forward as well, would it be best to buy one off ebay? i've found them around around 25ish shipped. I'm not sure how old my gun is, or what valve is in it (other than it says A.I.R.) so is this something i should look at updating as well, or should i be ok?

hmudd13
04-05-2007, 12:58 AM
If you're going to use a drop forward, is it going to be level or angled down slightly?
If it's level (like in the picture below) then you'll need an anti-siphon tank.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/hmudd13/100_0046.jpg

With this setup below, a regular tank works fine.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/hmudd13/100_0007.jpg

hope this helps. :)

Spider-TW
04-05-2007, 08:44 AM
ok, gotcha. looks like i need to get my stuff put on then measure my hoses. yeah, i'm planning on using a drop forward as well, would it be best to buy one off ebay? i've found them around around 25ish shipped. I'm not sure how old my gun is, or what valve is in it (other than it says A.I.R.) so is this something i should look at updating as well, or should i be ok?

A stock AIR valve can run around 12 bps IIRC. Doing that mostly continuously for a couple of loaders with CO2 is pushing it. With some work, the old AIR valve can make 16 bps continuously with HPA. Search the forum for threads by the Electrician. Don't confuse the AIR valve with the 'Classic'. The 'Classic' is labeled as 'Classic' and is "almost exactly" the same thing, but has larger internal ports. The larger passages make it more compatible with HPA. The Classic has hit 20 bps for some here ('flyingpootang') and they think it can go higher. There were also some issues with the regulator spring packs on some guns when changing from CO2 to HPA, although my AIR valve didn't care.

There are lots of upgrade paths, but getting from a 68 mag to a walkable trigger requires some homework. If you learn to love your mag, then it won't matter. :D

Before you upgrade your mag, consider your gas source choice (CO2 or HPA). Some people still can't get HPA reasonably.

meshark
04-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Would upgrading the tigger (and if so what route would be a good one to take?) be a wise move? What general range of price would we be talking about for something? If I switch to compressed air it will be down the road, I need to make sure my friends don't bail out on me before I dump too much into gear and what have you.

Smoothice
04-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Would upgrading the tigger (and if so what route would be a good one to take?) be a wise move? What general range of price would we be talking about for something? If I switch to compressed air it will be down the road, I need to make sure my friends don't bail out on me before I dump too much into gear and what have you.

What type of trigger do you want?

The only real upgrade would be a double trigger, pneumatic trigger, or e-trigger.

Spider-TW
04-05-2007, 11:09 AM

You have hit the hot button with that question. :wow:

A LARGE number of posts here, if not most, go back to ways to make the mag trigger better. Other than searching around the forum, I can only add a couple of notes:

1) The AirGun Designs store front says that the ULE trigger pull kit is NOT suitable for 68 Automag, Classic, and Minimag valves. However, I see threads in here where people seem to be using them in those valves. :confused:

2) Without some sort of assistance like the ULE trigger pull kit (ULT), a double finger frame will only allow you to tire two fingers out instead of one and you will not be able to walk it. A well tuned RT on/off will help a lot, but I don't know if it will get it where you want it. A ULT is not an electro trigger feel, but most people seem to be able to walk it.

Beyond that, you can do all sorts of electro, electro-pneumatic, and pneumatic conversions. :bounce:

meshark
04-05-2007, 03:34 PM
What type of trigger do you want?

The only real upgrade would be a double trigger, pneumatic trigger, or e-trigger.

I can't really say that I am too familar with the differences between them all. The only one I have experience with is a e-tigger (i assume its electronic, yeah, like i said i'm pretty new to all of this)

Spider-TW
04-05-2007, 04:26 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k70/hmudd13/100_0046.jpg

^^^ That is the nicest looking open trigger guard I have ever seen. :hail:

hmudd13
04-06-2007, 12:29 AM
^^^ That is the nicest looking open trigger guard I have ever seen. :hail:

Yes it's a beauty, but I can't take credit for it. I bought the marker with that already there. I just added the barrel and the Retro valve.
It's super reactive, gets lots of looks.

Sorry for the mini hijack, now back to the thread.

If you are planning to eventually switch to air instead of Co2, You'll have to ditch the expansion chamber. :)

Smoothice
04-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Yes it's a beauty, but I can't take credit for it. I bought the marker with that already there. I just added the barrel and the Retro valve.
It's super reactive, gets lots of looks.

Sorry for the mini hijack, now back to the thread.

If you are planning to eventually switch to air instead of Co2, You'll have to ditch the expansion chamber. :)

most of the stuff i have heard says that an expansion chamber works with hp. It doesn't serve a funtion but it should still work. i could be wrong.

FiXeL
04-06-2007, 10:12 AM
most of the stuff i have heard says that an expansion chamber works with hp. It doesn't serve a funtion but it should still work. i could be wrong.

No you're not. A marker with expansion chamber will work fine on HPA. But it does indeed do nothing about preventing liquid COČ in the marker because there isnt any. Does make for a nice front grip tho. :)

My expierence with expansion chambers is they don't always keep liquid COČ out of the gun. My minimag has one, and if i fill the bottle (a 12oz) to it's maximum capacity, liquid COČ will enter the gun and freeze up the valve. But if i fill to about 4/5 of the bottle's capacity i rarely have problems, but sometimes i still get liquid in the marker. What i do is cut the COČ flow by closing the on/off on my asa and wait a little bit to stop the freezing. You should act right away when you notice your gun starts leaking, otherwise it will take longer because everything is frozen up.