PDA

View Full Version : I think I made an oopsie....

LFD92
04-05-2007, 02:53 PM
I have issues. Everyone who knows me knows that. But now my X-valve has issues. Please read below and tell me if you can help.

I have an Xvalve (VV7550) with Level 10 and a newly installed ULE Trigger kit. When I received this valve from another AO user it was not working and was missing parts (namely the on/off top oring). It leaked like a sieve down the barrel (a result of a poopie PT tip o-ring and the lack of on/off o-ring).

I have since rebuilt the Valve to the best of my abilities twice with AGD and TMS Xvalve parts kits and installed the ULT. Then, I had about 3-4 good shots and then a chuff. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. I eliminated the chuff and thought I was doing well. Then, after 12-15 consistent shots without leak, the leak returned.

I have scoured the forums and read all of the instructions from Tom Kaye, BlackVCG, other users, etc and I am unable to help with the current problems (chuffing and leak).

The leak appears to be coming down the barrel again.

Now, the Level 10 has no shims and the Gold Spring.
The ULT has 5 shims.

If I take a shim out of the ULT, it won't fire at all. If I add a shim to the Level 10 it leaks badly.

I am sure that all I need is to figure out the correct combination of shims in each, but I am so frustrated that I don't really know where to begin. Everything is just starting to run together when I read it.

Please help.

mclaggan123
04-05-2007, 04:00 PM
try changing out the carrier (gold ring) in the power tube. it sounds like your lvl 10 needs tuning.

athomas
04-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, use the largest carrier size that doesn't leak.

LFD92
04-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Okay. I have tried the different sized carriers with no luck.

Could my spring be too short so it's allowing the bolt to sit too far forward?

Why would I have had a consistent string of shots without a leak and then have the leak return?

Please, could I have some more suggestions? I have had this valve for over a month and I can't get the leak out of it. I may just buy another level 10 kit and start over again with new pieces.

Thanks!

yaaaowHuggs
04-08-2007, 11:44 AM
well if you tried using the largest one that doesn't leak, and after a few shots it leaks... i'd say use the smallest carrier that lets you fire reliably. basically work backwards.

lots of oil... i remember when i installed my lvl 10 i did the largest carrier thing, but i think after a bit the o-ring gets a little worn and started to leak a little again. so i started with the smallest and worked my way to the one that would fire everytime.

oh, try using the red spring and put 2 shims in and tell us what happens.

mclaggan123
04-08-2007, 01:06 PM
i couldnt use the red spring at all. my setup is the 1.5 carrier, gold spring and no shims. it works great and i have yet to break a ball.

athomas
04-09-2007, 07:46 AM
How old is the sear in your rail? If it is worn, it would allow the bolt to sit farther forward so that the vent hole is exposed. It doesn't take much wear either. Check the sear tip. If there is any indentation (usually worn a silvery color instead of the normal gold) at all where it holds the bolt, then it is worn and needs to be replaced.

LFD92
04-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.

After becoming fully frustrated, I found that there were 3 problems and now it works without a hitch.

Problem #1
The washer that sits below the carrier was divoted from my NUMEROUS attempts at changing out the carrier.

Problem #2
The white carrier o-ring that sits in the carrier on the non-beveled side was worn out from changing it into different carriers so often.

Problem #3
After rebuilding it and following BlackVCG's instructions I forgot to turn the velocity back up.

None of those had ever occurred to me as possible problems.

Well, it works well (chrono @ 280, 282, 283) and I know my levelX and XValve so intimately now. Thanks for all your help guys!

PhoenixWolf
04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
One more thing: if you need to reduce your velocity, try the gold spring instead of the red one.