PDA

View Full Version : japanese paintball...

ProblemKinder
04-05-2007, 11:32 PM
this video makes me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc9TUlY8jt8

what kind of gun are they using??

pennywise
04-05-2007, 11:44 PM
That was comical.

Paintball is actually not that popular in Japan--Airsoft is where it's at.

MoeMag
04-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Give airsoft time... its going to be big.

aqua_scummm
04-06-2007, 12:04 AM
It's been around longer, it's had enough time

MoeMag
04-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Really? I honestly dont know.

I played paintball for years. I didn’t think anything of airsoft being more than a toy. Then working at the paintball store, the guys that ran it got into airsoft and we started selling really nice airsoft guns. I cannot believe how realistic they are. Even gun people cannot tell the difference between my airsoft gun and a real Armalite M15, until they pull the magazine out or look down the barrel.

And at 300 for this thing its alot cheaper than paintball.

IDK. Honestly I think its kinda goofy. Charge up batters, load up the magazines (not hoppers), and get some safety glasses (I use motorcycle goggles).

The only drawback is its too easy to keep playing after getting hit. That’s why it’s only good with friends where there is nothing at stake other than fun.

aqua_scummm
04-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Airsoft has a lot of downsides IMO. Nice steel will cost you more than a real gun, I have seen people drop $1200-$1500 on M4 look alikes. It's easier to play on, it's less accurate, has less range, and parts such as gearboxes seem to wear out more. Plus the whole militaristic stereotypes paintball has been striving to shed itself from, airsoft relishes in. I looooove woodsball, much more so than speedball, but I hate it when people ask me why I play "wargames"

Airsoft has been around a lot longer, but only hit the US shores about 15 years ago, if my memory serves me. I got my first airsoft gun in about 96, but that was from a trip my dad took to Japan, he brought back the gun from there.

pennywise
04-06-2007, 12:28 AM
The thing about Airsoft that intrigues people is the realism--unlike paintball, you can achieve 100% milsim.

Think of it like a Civil War re-enactment, only for present day.

FlawleZ
04-06-2007, 12:57 AM

:rolleyes:

/thread.

cyrus-the-virus
04-06-2007, 01:15 AM
"paint-a-ball"

Ninjeff
04-06-2007, 03:05 AM
Ive been playing paintball for a long time, and i am AWARE of airsoft, but i dont know anything about it,

One thing gets me...how can you tell you hit someone. In paintball its pretty easy.

I dont get how it is in airsoft

pennywise
04-06-2007, 03:32 AM
Airsoft has been around a lot longer, but only hit the US shores about 15 years ago, if my memory serves me. I got my first airsoft gun in about 96, but that was from a trip my dad took to Japan, he brought back the gun from there.
I started a five-year tour Japanese in October of '96 and I remember being blown-away at the authentic-looks of the Airsoft, or, Hop-Up guns. I wanted one very badly, but I never got one--I spent the money on a MiniMag instead!

FiXeL
04-06-2007, 04:58 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt paintball illegal in japan? I know they have it there, but only on US military bases that are basicly american soil.

Euh, i think... :rolleyes:

Temo Vryce
04-06-2007, 08:04 AM
If I remember correctly. Paintball markers were/are illegal in Japan, which is why that Airsoft is so big there.

Lohman446
04-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Airsoft has a lot of downsides IMO. Nice steel will cost you more than a real gun, I have seen people drop $1200-$1500 on M4 look alikes. It's easier to play on, it's less accurate, has less range, and parts such as gearboxes seem to wear out more. Plus the whole militaristic stereotypes paintball has been striving to shed itself from, airsoft relishes in. I looooove woodsball, much more so than speedball, but I hate it when people ask me why I play "wargames"

Less accurate and less range than paintball? I'm not into airsoft at all but I think thats rather innacurate for the good guns.

As to the whole militaristic stereotype - its not necessarily a bad thing. You are never going to get paintball away from the fact that you *are* shooting at someone.

paint magnet
04-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Airsoft is great for spur-of-the-moment dorm room battles but I can't really see the point of going out into the woods and playing for hours. It may have been around longer but it's nowhere near as organized, at least not in the US. Maybe if there were more teams and fields dedicated to it, and some universal rules (namely chrono speed and ammo weight).

MoeMag
04-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Airsoft has a lot of downsides IMO. Nice steel will cost you more than a real gun, I have seen people drop $1200-$1500 on M4 look alikes. ... it's less accurate, has less range, and parts such as gearboxes seem to wear out more.

Not really. My M4 was about 300 stock + 200 in upgrades and its really nice. I have seen some of those crazy high ends but they by far are not the standard. That’s like a SL74 costing $1800 or some aurora nexus ego at $5000. What I'm saying is that they are out there but they are really special. Anything over $500 is something special.

They are MORE accurate and have a little more range than a paintball. In paintball you have an "effective" range where the ball will break. In airsoft you don’t have that. In big games I have played We shoot .2 gram bb's up to 400fps. Will say about 250 ft range.

And yes air soft guns tend to go through gears. But that’s maintenance like a shocker using up o-rings.

One thing gets me...how can you tell you hit someone. In paintball its pretty easy.I dont get how it is in airsoft
Honor system. Thats why I said its only fun amoung friends when there is nothing at stake. otherwise Its too easy to cheat and play on.

... authentic-looks of the Airsoft, or, Hop-Up guns...
Hop-up is an adjustable back spin feature. Its like a tippmann flatline and it really works quite well.

... and some universal rules (namely chrono speed and ammo weight).

There are, its just they are not well known. So much so I barely remember because I haven’t been to a big organized game in a long time but this is what I remember...

.12 grams are for cheap spring powered guns and usually stay around 250fps or less. Not a rule just physics.
.2 grams are for Gas and AEG's (automatic electric guns) with decent amount of power. These usually are limited to 400fps, or 450fps for semi auto "sniper"
.25 grams are also 400fps but cannot be used in semi auto.
.3 are usually aluminum and are not allowed.

Check out www.classicarmy.com and http://tokyo-airsoft-gun.com/ these are great guns. The classic army guns like mine are known for being all metal and under license with the real gun makers. Tokyo-marui are known for having really great internal workings. Both classic army and marui have interchangeable parts so like my gun I have the best of both... classic army metal and realism with marui internals.
Another company http://www.starairsoft.com/ has really great products at all price and quality range. They have some very impressive high ends like the L85 they have... WOW.

LegumeOfTerror
04-06-2007, 10:06 AM
they have to use smaller caliber guns because of their laws, its not legal to use our guns over there. pretty sure thats right anyhow...

mrbrutal
04-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Paintball guns are legal in Japan but they have to meet certain criteria. I forget what they are but only electronic guns are available. One of the custom airsoft shops, Killer Studios, is a distributer for SP Ions, at least they were 3 years ago. I dont know about now.

I love the airsoft gear and got a Classic Army MP5 SD6. I tried playing a casual game once with a friend who set up the game. At one point, I was bunkered down behind some branches when a hail of bbs started raining down on me. I could not tell if it was ricocheting off the trees and branches or if it was actually hitting me. After a few seconds, I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and called myself out. So far, that has been the first and last airsoft game I ever played.

One of the problems airsoft has had is the whole trademark and licensing issues. It is illegal here to have the HK or any company logo on the airsoft guns as these companies have not licensed them out. In Japan and Asia, we know that some laws are lax and people get away with alot of things. Most of the good stuff is manufactured in Asia. Due to laws against japanese citizens not being able to own firearms, airsoft gave them a way to own a "firearm". Airsoft has had a big jump on paintball so it may take several more years before it takes off. In the US, it is definitely easier to walk on to a field on any given weekend and play a walkon game. Airsoft games have to be more planned out and organized

Chronobreak
04-06-2007, 11:06 AM
ehh..

the vid looks like they are using those .50 cal balls

gun sounds likea tippmann type..

geekwarrior
04-06-2007, 11:09 AM
why arent they wearing reg paintball masks?

Desega
04-06-2007, 11:21 AM
:confused:
How did that vid turn into airsoft vs. paintball? BTW if airsoft will be bigger than paintball, why do they not have a National Airsoft Players Leauge? NAPL?

ProblemKinder
04-06-2007, 11:37 AM
"paint-a-ball"
:rofl: :rofl:

Lohman446
04-06-2007, 11:41 AM
:confused:
How did that vid turn into airsoft vs. paintball? BTW if airsoft will be bigger than paintball, why do they not have a National Airsoft Players Leauge? NAPL?

Why don't we have a centralized governing body like most established sports?

White_Noise
04-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Why don't we have a centralized governing body like most established sports?

because paintball isnt actually that well established

Lohman446
04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
because paintball isnt actually that well establishedI think that was a big part of my point :) Pretty gutsy to pick on other sports on what they have and do not have

geekwarrior
04-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I think that was a big part of my point :) Pretty gutsy to pick on other sports on what they have and do not have

while I agree with what your getting at....to my knowledge, airsoft doesn't have anything like the NPPL or PSP.

AZ_09
04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
What do you think..
I think Airsoft stings a lot more, but only stings for like 1 second(very close range). I only say close range, because i shot a cheap airsoft gun in my room, i didnt notice where i was shooting, the plasitc BB went off the wall and right to my neck. It stung more than a paintball.

bryceeden
04-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Airsoft isn't going to catch paintball in the US. With all the huge problems Law Enforcement is having with airsoft and the very large group who want it outlawed(which I actually support) Airsoft just has too many big issues that can't be delt with that will always hinder it. And befor anyone brings up all the people who want to ban paintball trust me its compleatly different.

Plus when it comes down too it Paintball is just more fun, and you can actually tell when someone is out.

Also paintball doesn't have a governing body because we can't agree on a playing style. Airsoft doesn't because they dont even have a leage.

DaFin
04-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Paintball had a governing body, the International Painbtall Players Association (IPPA). But it got rapidly ran over by the tournament series like the NPPL. I have not heard hide nor hair of the IPPA since I returned to playing.

Ninjeff
04-09-2007, 07:00 PM
What paintball needs is something like the AMA for motorcycles. You dont have to agree on a "style" to agree that a large unbiased governing type of body would be good for the sport.

pennywise
04-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but isnt paintball illegal in japan? I know they have it there, but only on US military bases that are basicly american soil.

Euh, i think... :rolleyes:
You are very correct. The only paintball fields I saw in my 5 years there were on U.S. bases and no one sold markers because they were illegal. (At least that's what we were told)

snoopay700
04-12-2007, 05:03 PM

I played paintball for years. I didn’t think anything of airsoft being more than a toy. Then working at the paintball store, the guys that ran it got into airsoft and we started selling really nice airsoft guns. I cannot believe how realistic they are. Even gun people cannot tell the difference between my airsoft gun and a real Armalite M15, until they pull the magazine out or look down the barrel.

And at 300 for this thing its alot cheaper than paintball.

IDK. Honestly I think its kinda goofy. Charge up batters, load up the magazines (not hoppers), and get some safety glasses (I use motorcycle goggles).

The only drawback is its too easy to keep playing after getting hit. That’s why it’s only good with friends where there is nothing at stake other than fun.
Hahahahahaha...heh...heh, yeah, friends, nothing at stake. When i played with friends there were always some jerks who had to get competitive and if you didn't go out because you didn't feel it they got really mad.