PDA

View Full Version : Velocity issues

Sammy Sandbag
04-06-2007, 03:28 PM
I took the Tac-One out today for some woodsball. Chrono'd it to the best of my knowledge according to the instructions. I would fire, hold the trigger, then fire as quickly as possible again. I consistantly got 300 fps +/-5. The issue was when I would just pull the trigger once with a few seconds between pulls. The velocity would spike to 340-350 fps. From my understanding of the velocity adjustment instructions, the velocity spikes due to rapid fire with the gas moving into the valve quickly without having time to cool. So I would think (not really knowing) that the velocity would go down during slow rates of fire, not up.

Someone please school me.....

Tao
04-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I took the Tac-One out today for some woodsball. Chrono'd it to the best of my knowledge according to the instructions. I would fire, hold the trigger, then fire as quickly as possible again. I consistantly got 300 fps +/-5. The issue was when I would just pull the trigger once with a few seconds between pulls. The velocity would spike to 340-350 fps. From my understanding of the velocity adjustment instructions, the velocity spikes due to rapid fire with the gas moving into the valve quickly without having time to cool. So I would think (not really knowing) that the velocity would go down during slow rates of fire, not up.

Someone please school me.....

It should drop down if you wait a few seconds between firing it....
What pressure are you feeding into the gun? My only thought at the moent is that the gun is being starved so when you rapid fire it doesn't have enough gas feeding into it to recharge completly. Thus when you do give it time it fires hot.

I am not too familiar with the workings inside the valve itself, but if your regulator wasn't working correctly it could be leaking into the valve, thus building up pressure inside the valve that is higher than it should be. Anythoughts from someone who knows about the workings of the x valve a bit better than me?

The only other thing that could do that is CO2 if you were feeding liquid into the gun while playing, assuming you have lots of luck to get your tac one to run on CO2 that well in the first place...

Sammy Sandbag
04-06-2007, 04:22 PM
It should drop down if you wait a few seconds between firing it....
What pressure are you feeding into the gun? My only thought at the moent is that the gun is being starved so when you rapid fire it doesn't have enough gas feeding into it to recharge completly. Thus when you do give it time it fires hot.

I'm using a Guerrilla Air Assault HP reg, advertised at 850 psi. I have two of them, so I suppose I could try both at the chrono and see. FWIW, I haven't made any velocity adjustments to the gun since it sent to me. The only thing I've done is change the carrier to one size smaller.

Tao
04-06-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm using a Guerrilla Air Assault HP reg, advertised at 850 psi. I have two of them, so I suppose I could try both at the chrono and see. FWIW, I haven't made any velocity adjustments to the gun since it sent to me. The only thing I've done is change the carrier to one size smaller.

Well that system should be fine. Yeah change tanks and see if that works. If it doesn't try putting autolube into the air line (5 drops or so) and dry fire about 10 times and see if that works. That is put the oil in the line between the tank and the gun not into the tank itself when you fill it. This is about all I can recomend with my experience (I have never had any problems with any of my mags in the inside of the vavles to learn from) so hopefully someone else wil be able to shed a brighter light on this :P

Sammy Sandbag
04-06-2007, 05:20 PM
If it doesn't try putting autolube into the air line (5 drops or so) and dry fire about 10 times and see if that works. That is put the oil in the line between the tank and the gun not into the tank itself when you fill it.

I've been putting drops of Autolube in the ASA prior to firing it every time I use the mag. I've also broke it down and lubed it a couple times. So far I've maybe put 3-5 cases through it. Hopefully I can get this figured out. Thanks for the help.

athomas
04-06-2007, 05:24 PM
.....The issue was when I would just pull the trigger once with a few seconds between pulls. The velocity would spike to 340-350 fps. .......So I would think (not really knowing) that the velocity would go down during slow rates of fire, not up.

Someone please school me.....You are correct in your assumption. The velocity should be lower if you wait. The fact that it is considerably higher usually indicates a leaking regulator seat oring.

Sammy Sandbag
04-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Anyway I can verify this is actually the issue? I'll try some different tanks to see what happens, but I've used both of my tanks on the Fusion shooting 25 bps with no issues, so I think it would be alright for the slower rates I'm shooting the Tac at.

Also, I can't seem to find a labeled diagram of the X-valve. The online tech support doesn't have a detailed exploded diagram to show exactly where the regulator seat o-ring is.

Would using some Dow 55 on it help, by swelling the o-rings? I wouldn't think I've shot this gun enough to have issues, but who knows.

Does an extra o-ring come with the gun, I've got such a mix of rings, I'm not sure what is what.

Tao
04-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Anyway I can verify this is actually the issue? I'll try some different tanks to see what happens, but I've used both of my tanks on the Fusion shooting 25 bps with no issues, so I think it would be alright for the slower rates I'm shooting the Tac at.

Also, I can't seem to find a labeled diagram of the X-valve. The online tech support doesn't have a detailed exploded diagram to show exactly where the regulator seat o-ring is.

Would using some Dow 55 on it help, by swelling the o-rings? I wouldn't think I've shot this gun enough to have issues, but who knows.

Does an extra o-ring come with the gun, I've got such a mix of rings, I'm not sure what is what.

Here is a link to the exploded x valve view (it is called retro valve but it is an x valve in the picture) http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=201&categoryID=22

Extra O rings wouldn't come with the gun (unless you got lucky). Here is what you would need if you have a bad oring: http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=458&categoryID=23

Sammy Sandbag
04-06-2007, 06:14 PM
I copied this from the user manual:

http://strikewarn.com/uploads/paintball/xvalve.jpg

From what I can tell, the regulator seat o-ring is part #844, which is listed twice on this diagram. I'm assuming it is the one labeled #31.

I also found this graphic in the lvl 10 CD:

http://strikewarn.com/uploads/paintball/valvelvl10.gif

Here it looks as though it is labeled item #11.

Can anyone verify this? And are there any instructions available on how to disassemble the X-Valve?

Thanks again.

Tao
04-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I copied this from the user manual:

http://strikewarn.com/uploads/paintball/xvalve.jpg

From what I can tell, the regulator seat o-ring is part #844, which is listed twice on this diagram. I'm assuming it is the one labeled #31.

I also found this graphic in the lvl 10 CD:

http://strikewarn.com/uploads/paintball/valvelvl10.gif

Here it looks as though it is labeled item #11.

Can anyone verify this? And are there any instructions available on how to disassemble the X-Valve?

Thanks again.

The parts are label differently on the cd diagram. There must be a key to the cd chart which is seperate from the key to the online chart. The important thing is the part number which leads to this: http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=116&categoryID=23

athomas
04-07-2007, 06:45 AM
#31 top diagram and #11 bottom diagram are indeed the reg seat orings.