PDA

View Full Version : sizable leak, please help

mbd2
04-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Now I know that you get alot of these, but I have a major leak down the powertube. I have replaced everything oring and spring wise. I have tried many different combinations of spacers (all of them). I even tried putting the valve in another mag, and still does not want to work. its an old valve (s/n CF29030) and it has been well used, but everything seems to be alright, at least as far as I can tell. I'm new to mags, but I'm mechanicly inclined (cant spell though) and I have read through alot of threads on simular issues. its a classic valve with I think a lvl 7 bolt. help...

Cow123
04-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Have you tried a smaller carrier?

mbd2
04-06-2007, 07:36 PM
forgive me, what is a carrier? you mean the body? I tried a valve that I knew worked in another gun and it did work with my body/rail/frame. and the other mag that I put my valve into had a ULE body on it, and it did not work in that.

Cow123
04-06-2007, 08:44 PM
They are little brass things with a black oring in the middle.

I am by no means a tech wizard when it comes to agd guns, but I was checking through the level 10 cd, and it said to always use the largest carrier that doesn't leak. Therefore, if it's leaking and there is no other reason, then maybe a smaller carrier would work. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help you.

wjr
04-06-2007, 08:54 PM
They are little brass things with a black oring in the middle.

I am by no means a tech wizard when it comes to agd guns, but I was checking through the level 10 cd, and it said to always use the largest carrier that doesn't leak. Therefore, if it's leaking and there is no other reason, then maybe a smaller carrier would work. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help you.

"Spacers" are the LVL 7 equivalent of LVL10 "carriers". He said he tried all of the different sized carriers, so I would assume he has a lvl 7.

I'm afraid I don't know the solution to your problem though. But I'm sure tuna or another mag tech will be able to help you out.

Dewok82
04-06-2007, 09:10 PM
You say you think it is a Level 7 bolt. Does anything extend past the base of the bolt (ie can you stand it up flat on a table)? What does the face of the bolt look like? I just want to make sure you don't have a Level 10 bolt or some ANS junk and don't know it.

I know you said you checked every spring and o-ring, but, in my experience, barrel leaks in a Classic Valve with a Level 7 bolt are usually the results of a missing or shot powertube o-ring (there should be an o-ring behind the spacer inside the powertube) and/or a worn bolt spring. Make sure the powertube o-ring is there and the spring extends past the face of the bolt.

Does the leak stop when you pull and hold the trigger?

Push down on the bolt with a squeegee. If that stops the leaking, then you probably need a new bolt spring, shorter spacer, or different (less worn) powertube tip.

If that doesn't stop the leaking, then your bolt or powertube o-ring could be shot.

What does your powertube tip look like?

The more info you give us the better we can help.

mbd2
04-06-2007, 09:17 PM
First, check and make sure there is an o-ring (the powertube o-ring) behind the spacer in the powertube.

Second, check your bolt spring. Does it extend past the front of the bolt? If not, replace it. A worn bolt spring will cause barrel leak.

Does the leak stop when you pull and hold the trigger?

The more info you give us the better we can help.

yes there is a oring behind the spacer, and I replaced the bolt spring. It does stop leaking when I hold the trigger down. thats why I think its a powertube problem. I do have a lvl 7 bolt. I replaced everything I could think of. what other info do you need? it only leaks out the powertube and Its not the on/off from what I have read here.

Dewok82
04-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Heh sorry, I hit edit right away because I thought I could post more info and then went to take a leak and get a snack.

Do you have a rail bushing in place? It is a little piece of metal between the frame and the rail. The field strip screw goes through it.

mbd2
04-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Ya I have one. where does it really go, cuz Im not sure.

Dewok82
04-07-2007, 12:26 AM
The bushing goes between the trigger frame and the rail. The hole where the field strip/thumb screw goes should have a bushing in it. The bushing will be about halfway inside the trigger frame and the other half inside the rail. When installed, it will keep them from shifting around from side to side.

mbd2
04-07-2007, 06:37 PM
I might have found the problem. it seems like if I push down as hard as I can on the valve when I tighten the field strip screw I can get around 15 shots before I notice the valve push itself back a little, then I have leak problems. I looked at the bolt too and it has a beveled corner to it, I can try to take a pic if that will help. could the bolt be worn enough to cause this to happen? or the sear? like I said it is a much older valve.