PDA

View Full Version : Anno, coating, or just wait?

Kyle.Kimber
04-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I got some raw aluminum parts, grip frame, velocity adjuster, ram arm, which all need to be annod. I wanted to get them done locally, but the guy I was talking to just got into some financial issues, and had to sell some stuff and go into hiding or something. Anyone know of a good Anno'r or someone who could plate some stuff? If anyone is doing it soon, can I add my stuff to there stuff, I'll help pay of course. I barely have anything to be anno'd, they are smaill parts + the grip frame. How do they price it? By size? THanks all.

/ Is there any sort of spray or treatment which I could pick up at homme depot to prevent rust? I might stick witht the raw look for a bit, or at least until I can get a "piggyback" on the trip to an annodizer. PM me if you are thinking about it. Thanks.

// Actually, the insides of some of the parts are still annod, Do they get that stuff off when they anno, and how much extra does it cost?

THANKSBUNCHESGUYS

Edit: or is it worth it to just get everything nickle plated?

craltal
04-09-2007, 12:45 PM
aluminum doesn't rust, fyi.

they should strip and prep all the pieces as part of their process

only you can decide if plating is worth it...

Kyle.Kimber
04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Okay then, well in that case, where can I get some CAUSTIC SODA? HOME DEPOT, because they have it on ebay. How nasty is the stuff? THanks

craltal
04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Not to sound mean, but it's caustic, ie designed to eat it's way through metal. If you are unsure, maybe you should steer clear of it...

SR_matt
04-09-2007, 04:53 PM
leaving it raw it will oxidize, using the caustic soda you build up a thicker layer of oxide so it wont break down as fast (check around for the concentration and length of soak though)

it should be fine to leave raw just as long as you dont leave it for a long time or eat off of it (al oxide isnt the best thing for you)

-matt

buzzboy
04-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I have heard good things about A plus anno (http://www.aplusanodizing.com/pricing.html) Also Gruntbull is pretty good but from what I hear they have a massively long waiting list.

Kyle.Kimber
04-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I looked it up, Caustic Soda is what I need. Were can I buy it? Autozone and the Deopt didn't have it. Ebay has it, but its in powder form. Anyone work with it and tell me what to look for? Thanks

SR_matt
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
try asking for lye, same thing
-matt

Kyle.Kimber
04-09-2007, 06:39 PM
try asking for lye, same thing
-matt

Don't they make soap and glass out of lye?

skife
04-09-2007, 06:56 PM
either way its getting oxidised.

what do you think annodizing is?

wjr
04-09-2007, 06:59 PM
I would hope that Lye isn't in the soap that you use.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to do here, but drain cleaner or oven cleaner does the same thing that Lye would do. Make sure to dilute it though.

thefool
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
ekk, please please dont dip your parts in lye.

please.

Acid rain had a picture that i cant seem to find of a gun someone kept in lye for too long. It wasn't pretty.

Aluminum doesn't rust in the traditional sense. Aluminum oxide is what rubies are made of.

It also oxidizes almost instantly so sticking it in lye isnt going to give you anything other than a ruined gun.

When you anodize a gun you simply grow an extra thick layer of aluminum oxide on the surface of the piece. It is much more scratch and abrasion resistant than the aluminum itself, so i suggest getting the piece anno'd before you play with it.

PM me if you are interested in anno and i might be able to do something for you.

sixtoes1313
04-09-2007, 09:11 PM
If you want to keep the alum look without oxidation just polish up the parts with car aluminum polish after you play or somthing.
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/3/6415373083.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4922524)
Works good for me.

SR_matt
04-09-2007, 09:14 PM
dipping parts in caustic soda wont ruin them, and it will put a layer of oxide on to protect the pieces a little better for a while, given you have to do it right but it does work (believe me i used "etched" al which has just been dipped in caustic soda for a given amount of time and it is much cleaner than undiped pieces in relation to the rub off and over all apperance even after the layer rubs off over time)

edit- forgot to mention about the polishing, if you polish it up correctly it wont get much oxide, get some lose wheels and some high grit compound and go to town
-matt

thefool
04-09-2007, 09:29 PM
thats becuase the pieces were never anodized.

anno them and you'll see a difference, it will never need to be dipped again. And while you cannot achieve a polish like that with anno you can get close with a thin layer and it will offer more protection than you have now and will take less time in upkeep.

wjr
04-09-2007, 09:32 PM
ekk, please please dont dip your parts in lye.

please.

Acid rain had a picture that i cant seem to find of a gun someone kept in lye for too long. It wasn't pretty.

Aluminum doesn't rust in the traditional sense. Aluminum oxide is what rubies are made of.

It also oxidizes almost instantly so sticking it in lye isnt going to give you anything other than a ruined gun.

When you anodize a gun you simply grow an extra thick layer of aluminum oxide on the surface of the piece. It is much more scratch and abrasion resistant than the aluminum itself, so i suggest getting the piece anno'd before you play with it.

PM me if you are interested in anno and i might be able to do something for you.

Here's the thread with that pic you're talking about:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1836380

thefool
04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
yep thats the one