PDA

View Full Version : Smart Mag question

LS1 WS6
04-11-2007, 07:52 PM
A buddy of mine has an old mag. The thing looks brand new. It is a classic powerfeed Mag with the Smart Parts "Magic Box" on it. The valve has been drilled with multiple holes on the inside kind of like the old ANS valves.

I was wondering if something like this is worth anything to a collector or if its just more of a novelty now? It is in perfect shape, just like new. It even still has the old Crown Point barrel on it. The serial # on the valve is CF14934. Any info would be appreciated.

snoopay700
04-11-2007, 08:15 PM
It's an old mag with modifications that people thought did something. All in all, it's nothing special.

hmudd13
04-12-2007, 01:28 AM
IIRC the Smart box on the side was to equilize Co2 pressures more evenly so the marker would be more consistant. However, it was also called a "cheater box" because of something you could do to actually increase velocity after chronoing the marker.
I think it allowed liquid to bypass the valve and enter the firing chamber.
I think. :tard:
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

ahellers
04-12-2007, 05:28 AM
IIRC the Smart box on the side was to equilize Co2 pressures more evenly so the marker would be more consistant. However, it was also called a "cheater box" because of something you could do to actually increase velocity after chronoing the marker.
I think it allowed liquid to bypass the valve and enter the firing chamber.
I think. :tard:
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
Im fairly sure the true funtion of the magic box was to make the mag run on LP.
t

warbeak2099
04-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Important thing is it doesn't do anything. It's a useless bulge on the side of the gun. I believe the term goes, "peice of crap."

robertsr1811
04-12-2007, 07:25 AM
If you tipped the gun on CO2 you could get a wicked velocity spike. We didn't call them "Smart Boxes", we called them "Cheater Boxes".

Other than that possibly unintended side effect they really didn't do a damn thing. You might convince a hardcore collector it was worth 20 extra bucks or so. I really haven't seen much of a market for them except as a novelty.

hmudd13
04-13-2007, 12:10 AM
If you tipped the gun on CO2 you could get a wicked velocity spike. We didn't call them "Smart Boxes", we called them "Cheater Boxes".

Other than that possibly unintended side effect they really didn't do a damn thing. You might convince a hardcore collector it was worth 20 extra bucks or so. I really haven't seen much of a market for them except as a novelty.

Ok, so I was sort of right. :tard: