PDA

View Full Version : automags suck?!? what?

Wolf7
04-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Alright, so I told this sports park that I wanted to buy an automag pro classic, and he goes: "you dont want a automag, they are old technology and they always break, buy an inver mini or something else, cuz you will just be holding yourself back." is this true? He called it a crap gun, and said they always break! I havent bought one, or played with one, but from everyone I have heard from, they are great guns that rarely break!
help me out!

robnix
04-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Alright, so I told this sports park that I wanted to buy an automag pro classic, and he goes: "you dont want a automag, they are old technology and they always break, buy an inver mini or something else, cuz you will just be holding yourself back." is this true? He called it a crap gun, and said they always break! I havent bought one, or played with one, but from everyone I have heard from, they are great guns that rarely break!
help me out!

Buddy of mine just aired up his classic to test it. It's about 10 years old and hasn't been fired in two years, it worked just fine.

I have three mags and a phantom. Two mags are for my use, and one is a loaner for when other peoples markers go down. It's loaned out just about every time I play to someone. The few times my mags have given me problems on the field, an o ring or a spring has fixed the issue.

Outside of reg pistons, I've never had an issue that actually kept my mags from shooting paint. Replacing reg pistons takes about two minutes if you have one in your toolbox.

The funny thing is that I've given out more o rings to other players than I've used myself over the past few years.

Contact Tuna if you want a pro classic. It's a small investment for what's a solid, and very upgradable marker.

Wolf7
04-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I did contact him, but I think I will just buy it from a local store.

Tao
04-12-2007, 05:34 PM
help me out!

No mags are the most reliable guns out there, at least top 3 and even though this forum is biast many people can honselty say this from their own experiences. Mags are old technology, but they are still close to the top. They lack fancy looks so that is why no one uses them in professional play anymore. There hasn't been much need for improvement on them.
They tend to always break when you "tinker" with them (do it yourself mods). Back in the day the people who were used to tinkering with other guns such as cockers would get a mga try and tweak it themselfs and have nothing but problems.
Paintball culture now embraces good looks without asking any questions. Most players have no idea of what actually works or what is just empty claims to fame from the industry. For example the only solid evidence for imporving accuracy is for having a set of barrels with slightly different bore sizings to accomodate the variance in paint sizes between manufactures. I went to the local "pro" shop to buy a barrel kit and the guy said "don't buy that, buy this dye two piece barrel it is all you need. It has the biggest bore size so it will take any paint and is the most accurate". Anyway anyone who knows anything about barrels would walk right out the store at that.

To make a long story short mags are great guns. Don't necessarily take our word for it, but do some research. If a company states the features of the gun with some scientific back up rather than stating the features in big exciting eye catching logos it might actually be a better product rather than just something churned out with features powered by magical elves :rofl:

Tao
04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I did contact him, but I think I will just buy it from a local store.

Be careful with price. I guess that is the only downside about mags (but not really when you only need to spend about $25 on a parts kit which will last 5-10 years :) )

Buying used on ebay is ok too. Mags are very reliable so used isn't so bad. Since the used market is low you can find next to new guns for cheap! :bounce:

Wolf7
04-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I know they are good, it just upsets me that cuz it aint eletronic and it isnt flashy, its not good.

TippmannGuy
04-12-2007, 05:41 PM
they are great guns period. :shooting:

Saying they break is a load of crap.

Mongoose
04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
I know they are good, it just upsets me that cuz it aint eletronic and it isnt flashy, its not good.
Hold on my friend!!! mags do come in the electric form....look around this forum and you will see all kinds of mags.
you can get a mech mag, pnuemag, and emags.
also you will find many people that have done some crazy custom work to there mags..."Spydermag" "egomag" ect...
99% of all mag parts work together, so you can customize just about everything.
visit " themagsmith.com" here is a great example of how a mag can look,
Bottom line is: MAGS WORK...ALL THE TIME :headbang:
-Goose-

pierce
04-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Go ahead and buy that flashy Invert Mini, and in a couple a years when they don't make them anymore and you can't get parts you can use it as a paper weight. Then you can buy the Mag. :cheers:

Tao
04-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Hold on my friend!!! mags do come in the electric form....look around this forum and you will see all kinds of mags.
you can get a mech mag, pnuemag, and emags.
also you will find many people that have done some crazy custom work to there mags..."Spydermag" "egomag" ect...
99% of all mag parts work together, so you can customize just about everything.
visit " themagsmith.com" here is a great example of how a mag can look,
Bottom line is: MAGS WORK...ALL THE TIME :headbang:
-Goose-

True, but I doubt that the moms buying the guns out there are going to be doing much custom work for their kids...better off just buing a DM7 :rofl:

Wolf7
04-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey, when I meant the eletric part, I was talking about the automag pro classic, I know there are electrics and pnuemags, but I was talking about the classic. And Tao, that isnt neccessary, I have bought all my gear, and I dont plan on having my mom pay for anything.

Target
04-12-2007, 06:52 PM
It seems that many " Pro-Shops " have the same kind of people.
Not everyone is a speedball junkie that drools over the latest flashy " gun-of-da-day".
I like pumps and solid performers like mech Cockers and Mags.
There is very little that can go wrong with a Mag that an Oring won't correct.

I would reccomend a level 10 bolt on whatever valve you get ( Classic, ReTro, X) to prevent chopping. They work well when tuned and broken in.

I like the Intelliframe, but there are others out there. Y frame, Z frame, Benchmark, Dye...

The rate of fire of a basic mech Mag does not rival an Electro but they can be setup to be pretty close.The level 10 negates the need for "eyes".

Their valves need high pressure (850 psi or so) making HPA the prefered air source. CO2 works fine for many people with the proper setup. This also causes the misconception that Mags have poor efficiency. You are limited by not being able to use the last 1000psi or so in the tank.

Aftermarket and stock parts are hard to find. Most stores and distributors do not carry Automags or parts.
Many aftermarket companies no longer make accessorie or "upgrades" although, the stock parts are pretty darned good.

Try one if you can to see if they're comfortable to you.
I've been through many a gun to find ones that work with me.
I always fall back to older Cockers and Mags.
The others just don't feel right . I am not an electro kinda guy. I have a B2K but seldomly use it over my other guns.

Skill will overcome any marker's abilities.

You won't hold yourself back by using a Mag or pump for that matter. You will just have to change your game stratagy.

SR_matt
04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
well however nice it is to think our gun of coice is perfect and doesnt break ever, truth be told all guns will break and all guns will have problems.

oldschool mags were total tanks in reliability and in weight :p

a more modern mag w/lvl10 and a ult are still pretty reliable but a little more tepermental.

if you are playing in tournies dont get an old school mag unless you want to be shooting at half the rof of every one else.

mags are very easy to learn and to tech pretty fast (i swaped carriers and shims 3 times at a scenario to try and retune it and it only took me like 10 mins total from when i started to open up my gun untill i was getting paint and air to go back on).

they suck? hmm well compared to my friends electros i do chop more paint than they do with my lvl 10 compared to theire eyes but i am running my ult on the edge and i use rt and walk my trigger a lot.

but i can clean my gun out quick even on field, ya it might take a little longer than the just pull your bolt out but i get it all cleaner.

its lighter than a lot of electros and they are very simple.

if your playing rec and scenarios or even a tourney scene where its not all about the bps any mag will be great but if you want a lot of bps the old school mag wont give it with otu some upgrades.

in short - mags are good, but im not going to put them on a pedestal (even though i love my mag)
-they are good guns

-matt

Wolf7
04-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I know, guns do sometimes break, but I heard that AGD is fairly easy to maintain. I will get a Level 10 soon, but I am buying the pro classic, and the HPA, then, probaly a level 10, then a drop forward.

PhantomStalker
04-12-2007, 08:37 PM
i got a 68 classic from a friend of mine. i gave him 50 bucks for it. he got the gun back in 97 or 98. he used it like 3 times then he put it in his closet. i got it from him about 3 months ago. put some o rings on it and oiled it and it works just fine. Mags are great guns.

snoopay700
04-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Buddy of mine just aired up his classic to test it. It's about 10 years old and hasn't been fired in two years, it worked just fine.

I have three mags and a phantom. Two mags are for my use, and one is a loaner for when other peoples markers go down. It's loaned out just about every time I play to someone. The few times my mags have given me problems on the field, an o ring or a spring has fixed the issue.

Outside of reg pistons, I've never had an issue that actually kept my mags from shooting paint. Replacing reg pistons takes about two minutes if you have one in your toolbox.

The funny thing is that I've given out more o rings to other players than I've used myself over the past few years.

Contact Tuna if you want a pro classic. It's a small investment for what's a solid, and very upgradable marker.
Speaking of regulators keeping a gun from firing, my classic RT that i got off of ebay never had the reg piston replaced, so i noticed it start leaking out of the back more. It still fired fine, just got really bad efficiency, luckily i got a new one, but the only thing that stunk is that i couldn't go above 255 or 260 fps without it leaking horribly.

skife
04-12-2007, 09:20 PM
the local shop around here has forums, every once in awhile someone posts and asks what kind of gun to buy.

you get 4 replies to that.

ion
rail
mini
or tippmann.

but its moastly ion/rail.

I always suggest a mag and someone told me mech mags are slow, i posted DW's video and the guy shut up real quick.

Tao
04-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey, when I meant the eletric part, I was talking about the automag pro classic, I know there are electrics and pnuemags, but I was talking about the classic. And Tao, that isnt neccessary, I have bought all my gear, and I dont plan on having my mom pay for anything.

Sorry, it wasn't aimed at you just the trends in paintball today. There is a high turnover in guns because many players have the cash to drop $1000 or so every year on a new gun. The stereotype goes that it is kids with parents with lots of money :rolleyes:

hmudd13
04-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Yes it is true, Mags are "old" technology, however, they were way ahead of their time.
I have loaned out mech mags a few times and because of that 3 guys bought themselves a mag. It was better than what they were having so many problems with.

I was at a charity tournament early this year and a guy I was talking to had just bought a used mag and it had a leak he couldn't get rid of.
I asked where it was leaking, he said out the back of the valve. I told him to turn down the velocity. Problem solved. :)

I own lots of mags. The most problems I've had has been because I've added an inferior aftermarket part.
They are the most dependable guns I own. :headbang:

Mongoose
04-13-2007, 05:59 AM
well however nice it is to think our gun of coice is perfect and doesnt break ever, truth be told all guns will break and all guns will have problems.

oldschool mags were total tanks in reliability and in weight :p

a more modern mag w/lvl10 and a ult are still pretty reliable but a little more tepermental.

if you are playing in tournies dont get an old school mag unless you want to be shooting at half the rof of every one else.

mags are very easy to learn and to tech pretty fast (i swaped carriers and shims 3 times at a scenario to try and retune it and it only took me like 10 mins total from when i started to open up my gun untill i was getting paint and air to go back on).

they suck? hmm well compared to my friends electros i do chop more paint than they do with my lvl 10 compared to theire eyes but i am running my ult on the edge and i use rt and walk my trigger a lot.

but i can clean my gun out quick even on field, ya it might take a little longer than the just pull your bolt out but i get it all cleaner.

its lighter than a lot of electros and they are very simple.

if your playing rec and scenarios or even a tourney scene where its not all about the bps any mag will be great but if you want a lot of bps the old school mag wont give it with otu some upgrades.

in short - mags are good, but im not going to put them on a pedestal (even though i love my mag)
-they are good guns

-matt
your lvl ten if set up right should not be chopping paint. i would say mags are more then good guns! just good guns dont stick around this long

captian pinky
04-13-2007, 07:10 AM
i have 5 mags i think

I LOVE AGD WOOT!!

SR_matt
04-13-2007, 08:59 AM
your lvl ten if set up right should not be chopping paint. i would say mags are more then good guns! just good guns dont stick around this long
its not being nice to the paint because i have it with the softest spring and am running the ult so close to the edge (meaning that if i put any more shims in it will go F/A, using bounce or RT but only having an imput of 850; i think its more so short stroking causing the choping) and i was shooting paint that is more brittle than average. i got probably 5 chops in over 2 cases and i was going thrugh the paint so fast that i would end up being on field at the scenario taunting people more than shoting at them because i would run out of paint.

not bashing the lvl 10 in any way but its definatly not the cure all but neither is any other anti chop system
-matt

Chrishew09
04-13-2007, 06:14 PM
I had the owner of my local field pull an old mag he had in his garage out one day that hadn't been aired up in years. A few drops of oil and a few dozen dry fires and I used it for half the day just for fun.

Buy a mag and don't look back like the rest of us. :headbang:

Wolf7
04-13-2007, 07:17 PM
I will be getting one from chronobreak soon, sorry tuna, his is cheaper.

craltal
04-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Speaking of regulators keeping a gun from firing, my classic RT that i got off of ebay never had the reg piston replaced, so i noticed it start leaking out of the back more. It still fired fine, just got really bad efficiency, luckily i got a new one, but the only thing that stunk is that i couldn't go above 255 or 260 fps without it leaking horribly.

I'm going to venture a guess that the valve was old and you had a level X kit in it...

Wolf7
04-13-2007, 08:14 PM
mag for me!

TrracerAce
04-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Yay! :D

I get the "Mags are soo ooold" line all the time. I usually silence them when I dunk my mag (aired up) in the water bucket to get rid of a nasty hit and go play some more. Also when I fix a "leak" by dry firing it a few times.

madcrisis
04-15-2007, 10:31 AM
a guy at a local shop told me mags are old technology. i laughed at him and told him to show me a bettr gun. he handed me the rail then the mini. now i am a kid so he thought he could outsmart me but im not stupid. i said what happens if im in the ran and i want to play? he say use a plastic bag. and i replied doesnt that defeat the purpose of them looking good and always working? he gave me a funny look. i said what happens when im in the river flanking. he said dont do it. and i said i can with my mag. he said but u cant get a higher rate of fire though. i laughed and said what happens when u hit the capped ROF on a board. he said but u can never reach that high on a mag. so i pointed him to the computer and zak vetters videos. he had nothing tosay at that point. and i asked still think they are bettter? all he said was the trigger pull was lighter. i said one word, "pneumag."

Tunaman
04-15-2007, 10:52 AM
I will be getting one from chronobreak soon, sorry tuna, his is cheaper.
You are mistaken. No one is cheaper than me when you add up all the freebies and benefits...do your homework.

Mongoose
04-15-2007, 04:10 PM
You are mistaken. No one is cheaper than me when you add up all the freebies and benefits...do your homework.
You can't beat rogue and tuna on new mags!!
just my 2 cents

Tao
04-15-2007, 04:20 PM
a guy at a local shop told me mags are old technology. i laughed at him and told him to show me a bettr gun. he handed me the rail then the mini. now i am a kid so he thought he could outsmart me but im not stupid. i said what happens if im in the ran and i want to play? he say use a plastic bag. and i replied doesnt that defeat the purpose of them looking good and always working? he gave me a funny look. i said what happens when im in the river flanking. he said dont do it. and i said i can with my mag. he said but u cant get a higher rate of fire though. i laughed and said what happens when u hit the capped ROF on a board. he said but u can never reach that high on a mag. so i pointed him to the computer and zak vetters videos. he had nothing tosay at that point. and i asked still think they are bettter? all he said was the trigger pull was lighter. i said one word, "pneumag."

lol lighter trigger pull...try an EMAG :) At least he gave it an honest try though, not pouting and going to the"..but mags are too heavy!" :rofl:

I had my emag set up that all you had to do was touch the side of the trigger and it would go off, I don't think you can go lighter than that :dance:

WalkingTarget
04-15-2007, 04:28 PM
huh... i deal with the kiddies who's mom and dad buy them the newest 'paintslinger 3000'

i tend to fix them about 4 times a day at the field, and i get calls about once a week during the summer, all kids who need me to fix their marker.

i shoot a mech autococker, ILBB and now a mag... none of these has ever 'died' on me.

i have the local tourny kids telling me constanty that i need to get the 'paintslinger 4500' because my mech markers hold me back.

there are 2 responses to this

1. i shoot just as fast as i pull the trigger
2. probability is mathematics, not a theory on aiming.

do yourself a favor, go to Tuna, order the Pro/Classic, Lvl 10, ULT and if you're feeling advernturous, a warp feed.

if you can't keep up with the paintwasters with that, it's not the marker, it's your game.

ProblemKinder
04-15-2007, 05:02 PM
i have 5 mags i think

I LOVE AGD WOOT!!

I only have two =[ a Y-grip and a Z-grip.

I ALSO LOVE ADG WOOT WOOT!! :headbang:

C.J.
04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
help me out!

The fellow you were talking to has been duped. He's been duped by modern marketing. I say this knowing full well whereof I speak: I'm the marketing director for an airline.

Companies would have you believe you MUST buy "new" because last year's model is obsolete and they do this with very powerful messages that play on human desires and weaknesses.

I used to own an electro and sold it in favor of a PPS Blazer but I rank Automags in the same class as the Blazer - "legendary."

When you buy a 'mag or a Blazer, you're getting a "handmade, split tonkin cane bamboo fly fishing rod with handmade, spun brass reel."
Every electro you see at your local shop would be the equivalent of "high modulus graphite fishing rod with polycarbonate reel - $39.99 at Walm*rt."

You can catch fish with either. The latter has no character and you will throw it in the trash before your kids inherit it. Why not buy something with character that'll still have value in a decade? The 'mag has that.

I'll let others comment on the technical issues but 'mags are technologically advanced markers - the epitome of an evolved mechanical marker. Just because electro-pneumatics are "the next big thing" doesn't make Automags obsolete.

Another comparison: would you poo-poo on a Shelby Cobra telling its owner to go buy a Mazda RX-7? Only an ignorant person would. Unfortunately, there are a lot of ignorant paintball enthusiasts. I see them at my field too - they tell me to get rid of my Blazer and get something that "shoots faster." My next marker will be a stock class pump, not an electro.

Thotograph
04-17-2007, 12:30 AM
I have two mags (one RT ule and one Classic) and I'm about to get another retro valve, warp, rail, and other fun bits to make a warp'd RT beast. Mags are amazing. . Legends never die, AGD 4 life!

Way to own the bps-lings there Crisis and Target. I don't mind the hype the cool kids regurgitate either... b/c when they have to sit out to make hastily repairs on there patent pending 4000, I'm out having fun playing.

TrracerAce
04-17-2007, 03:59 AM
"...you dont want a automag, they always break, buy an inver mini..."

:tard:

Chrishew09
04-17-2007, 06:53 AM
The lasting time I played, a guy showed up that I havent played with in a while and I was looking forward to playing with him. After using a 68 classic for years with no problems something made him go out and by a $1200 Angel. Needless to say he and his friend spend the entire day trying to get there brand new Angels working, while me and the rest of use with Mags were having a great time playing.
When he was in the market for an electro we all tried pushing him towards and Emag, but he didnt listen....

mbd2
04-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Another comparison: would you poo-poo on a Shelby Cobra telling its owner to go buy a Mazda RX-7? Only an ignorant person would. Unfortunately, there are a lot of ignorant paintball enthusiasts. I see them at my field too - they tell me to get rid of my Blazer and get something that "shoots faster." My next marker will be a stock class pump, not an electro.

anyone who poo-poos a shelby is an idiot! I really love those cars. I had an ion for a bit, hated it, then sold it and bought a new mag (had an old one too) And I have a phantom stock class pump also. I love the smerks people give me, until it takes them out on the field. Mechs rule! :D

The Hellforger
04-26-2007, 07:12 PM
here is a cold hard fact to look at. Why did FNH use the automag as a basis for its FN303 LTL launcher over an ego or shocker or something? because they are reliable and easy to maintain. thats why

Spider-TW
04-26-2007, 09:11 PM
buy an inver mini or something else, cuz you will just be holding yourself back."

My son was looking at inverts until one of his friends got one and broke the front grip/battery pack off on the first day. He heard this was not uncommon.

So far, I don't need a case for my pneumag. He carries it everywhere and I haven't been able to play with it yet. :argh:

automag_holder
04-27-2007, 06:24 PM
hey dude he doesnt know what he's talking about. he's just try'n to get you to spend more money. buy the mag i've got 4 of them there great. i would tell you buy one with an xvalve and lvl 10. you wont regert it...
oh yeah by the way very easy to maintain. :dance:

ThePixelGuru
04-30-2007, 01:59 AM
It all comes down to preference. I've never shot any other marker that's felt easier to aim and more natural in my hands than my Minimag (and I've shot a lot of markers). I've decided speedball's not my thing, so I'm selling my E-Cocker to buy another 'mag as a loaner marker. It's all about using whatever setup is most comfortable for you. I'll probably never sell my Minimag, and I'm not sure I'll ever buy anything but an Automag again.