PDA

View Full Version : Somone tell me why co2 sucks in mags so bad and why i need a compressed air tank?

Wantalearnmymag
01-05-2002, 01:36 PM
I have been using co2 for a while and am in the market for compressed air tank because my gun freezes up with co2 im looking at the flatline but if someone has some cheaper suggestions that are worth the buck that would be great thanks

SoupRman
01-05-2002, 01:47 PM
maybe a cheaper compressed air tank? 47 ci's go for about 60-80 you can find them for about 50-60 used. cheap 68/3k steals go from liek 120-145 new. an option to compressed air is a whole bunch of palmer stuff. check www.palmer-pursuit.com and for that much you can buy a compressed air tank.

[NA]WARLORD
01-05-2002, 01:56 PM
YOU just answered your own question as to why co2 sucks... but IMO you dont need a Flatline, They are nice, but you can get a less expensive system, like the PMI PURE ENERGY or CROSSFIRE for a lot cheaper in cost and will last just as long. Also the steel tanks are cheaper than the carbon fiber bottles, and dont require a bottle cover. Carbon fiber does, so you dont scratch the tank, if it gets deep scratches it will degrade the integrity of the tank, making it a safety issue in the long run. If your running a Regular Mag valve, get a preset system, if your planning on a retro valve in future get a Flatline, this will help to adjust the retro valves trigger response. Checkout WWW.PAINTBALGEAR.COM, for prices on tanks. Also a good drop forward is the KAPP Drop Zone II, IMO...

PowderdToastMan
01-05-2002, 05:35 PM
you dont need to buy an expensive n2 tank a bought a 68 crossfire and it works great.

[NA]WARLORD
01-05-2002, 06:03 PM
Nah dude you dont need an extra reg., it has one built in already! Heres one from paintballgear.com, its steel,preset, and only 130.00;

[NA]WARLORD
01-05-2002, 06:07 PM
Only trade off is its a lil heavier, and ya only have to hydrotest it every 5 years, instead of every 2 on fiber wrapped tanks. Also it screws in just like a co2 bottle, the only thing i would recommend is a drop forward/cradle and an on/off valve, KAPP makes a good one. Heres pic of fiber wrapped tank:

personman
01-05-2002, 06:43 PM
I got a Crossfire 68 3000 psi Stub, and today I played with it for the first time. It works like a dream! I love it.

mountaindud
01-05-2002, 07:57 PM
Get the 68/3000 steel one WARLORD showed a picture of. You don't need ant fancy fiber wrapped crap, the only advantage to them is they break easier; wait that's not an advantage. OK no advanteges except a tiny bit lighter.

DYE-BaLLeR
01-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by [NA]WARLORD
Only trade off is its a lil heavier, and ya only have to hydrotest it every 5 years, instead of every 2 on fiber wrapped tanks.

yes if i would you dont even thinkn about buying a metal tank, you will be MUCH better off spending the extra money, trust me, i made that mistake. and NA, i believe any nitro tanks must be hydroed every 3 yrs, metal or fiber, except for some tanks can have it every 5 yrs

paintbattler
01-05-2002, 09:34 PM
since this is ur first n2 tank. i wood get a crossfire 68 3k
IMO

shupore
01-05-2002, 11:29 PM
when I have to use co2 with my mag, i use a palmers stabilizer. It shot great, but it didn't compare to my new nitro duck tank. and the new fiber wrapped dont have to be hydroed for 5 years. it's called tuff skin or something. so, nitro would be a much better investment

paintbattler
01-05-2002, 11:31 PM
if u have to use co2, use a remote and a good expansion chamber cuz the liquid will screw ur valve up

[NA]WARLORD
01-05-2002, 11:37 PM
Hey DYE, can ya explain how you contradicted yourself in one sentence,"i believe any nitro tanks must be hydroed every 3 yrs, metal or fiber, except for some tanks can have it every 5 yrs" Dude thats funny, but on fiber wrapped tanks its every 2 years,except Nitro Ducks with the Tuff Skin coating, and steel tanks are every 5 years. I own a fiber wrapped tank but tank cover is el cheapo, but hey, it works. Plus we have a Heating/Air Condition Tech on our team and he gets em tested for only 20.00 a tank....

DYE-BaLLeR
01-06-2002, 01:05 PM
NA you dont kno anything, its every 3 years except for SOME exceptions like i said before, so i am explaining my self. and there are some exceptions, such as nitro duck tuff skins and luxfer. think about where ur talkin about before u act all cocky

personman
01-06-2002, 03:09 PM
I really dont know anything about nitro tanks, except they are expensive.. lol, so when, why, and how do I get my Crossfire Stub Hydroed.. btw, you can get the crossfire 68 ci All metal 3000 psi tank for 119 bucks at www.crossfireinc.com thats where I got mine.. the box was a little beat up when i got it but the tank was fine. (they had the tank bubble wrapped) The only downside is, Im a little trigger happy and the tank doesnt last me that long.. lol (but hey, its only 2 bucks to get it filled..)

HoppysMag
01-06-2002, 04:39 PM
Check these out good for first N2 tank
http://www.actionvillage.com/031-7111.html
http://www.actionvillage.com/031-7110.html
http://www.actionvillage.com/031-3003.html
http://www.actionvillage.com/031-7130.html

i personaly perfer carbon fiber tanks but its all about price

[NA]WARLORD
01-07-2002, 02:10 AM
As one of the oldest teams in MD, we as referees, tourney players and old fart rec players, do keep up with general info especially when it comes to the maintence of our equipment. I know for a fact that its 2 years on Fiber wrapped tanks becuase, if you read the supplied info that comes with your tank, it will tell you right there in fine print, instead of listening to the lil kid down the street that just bought a model 98 as his first gun. Also the steel tanks arent as likley to get scratches or gouges in them like the fiber wrapped ones that could weaken their outer shell to the point of it being declared a useless tank, and pitched in trash. You can get your tank checked every 3 years if you want, but Fiber wrapped is every two, so if you are at a tourney, and they wont let you play because your tank hasnt been updated then dont cry, cuz i told ya soo! Also any p[lace that does industrial filling of tanks (not just c02 or H.P.A.) but like a gas supply should be able to have it done for you, but it usually aint cheap, we got lucky since its a friend of a friend.

[NA]WARLORD
01-07-2002, 02:59 AM
OK, i admit it, I was wrong, I apologize to DYE, its every 3 on fiber wrapped tanks, but every 5 on steel tanks, so i was half right, tehe...

Dealaman
01-07-2002, 08:59 AM
I thought you had to get steel tanks hydroed every year because metal is easier to corrode.

Thordic
01-07-2002, 09:30 AM
3 years for Fiber tanks with DOT Exemption E11005

5 years for Carleton and Luxfer tanks with DOT Exemption E11194 / E10915(http://www.carltech.com/new-composite/extension.html ; http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news_010521.html)

I can't find the exemption number for steel tanks right now, or I'd put that for sure too, but I'm pretty sure its 5 years.

http://hazmat.dot.gov/exemptions_index.htm

You can look up your tank there.

HoppysMag
01-07-2002, 01:45 PM
ok iv got a 68ci 3000psi Nitro Duck. i dont think its a "Tuff Skin" . Someone said Luxfer need to be tested less often. My nitro duck says Luxfer on it. Its below the DOT number and next to some other numbers. Is this a Luxfer? If this isnt what is?

Thordic
01-07-2002, 01:57 PM
Hoppys -

http://hazmat.dot.gov/exemptions_index.htm

Go there, and look up your exemption number. It'll tell you there how often it needs to be tested.

HoppysMag
01-07-2002, 04:05 PM
i dont gotta test it till 2003 but its a tank from 2000 so its only a 3 year tank

HoppysMag
01-07-2002, 04:07 PM
asking a question like that and seing the words "Senior Member" under my user name makes me feel stupid

o thanx Thordic

Jonny05
01-07-2002, 04:32 PM
Since hoydro test dates are out of the way here is some more info.

Steel tanks will hold less air when being filled the carbon fiber. When the tank is being filled the Steel expands more and contracts on the gas to make for a higher pressure. So you think you are putting in 3K (3000 psi). Well look back in 15-20mins when the tank has cooled and it will read between 2500 and 2600. Not a problem for most people though.

As for fiber wrapped it will do the same but only drop to 2800 or 2900.

This is what I have come across in my expirence.

SoloMag
01-11-2002, 11:19 PM
pleaze only answer my question if you really know. Is the only thing that happens when you get Co2 in your valve is the o rings pop or dose it cause damage to other more exspensive parts. like the piston