PDA

View Full Version : Milling "oops"

shorty24
04-14-2007, 10:38 AM
So...I was milling my micromag clone body yesterday to get it ready to send to anno, and it actually was turning out pretty sweet!

Until I found out that whoever used the mill before me forgot to clean debris off the milling platform, so the body that I thought was on there nice and flat...wasn't so nice and flat.

Mill cut real deep on the one side as it got farther forward, and I noticed it too late. While the body is still functional, the one side looks like crap and is not possible to fix, as the metal is way too thin now.

Oh well, I learned...and I have a new one on the way. Also, the rest of it turned out pretty sweet after that, so I have high hopes!

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5728/micromagwarpbody2002rf2.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/8412/micromagwarpbody2001np4.jpg

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2052/micromagwarpbody2003sy9.jpg

*EDIT: There's your pics...

geekwarrior
04-14-2007, 10:45 AM
this thread is useless without pics :p

cant wait to see your finished pnuemag! :headbang:

PBI82
04-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Have any pictures of it? :D

this thread is useless without pics :p

cant wait to see your finished pnuemag! :headbang:
*cough* you beat me to it

shorty24
04-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Ok, got your pics guys :rolleyes:

Top one is the good side, bottom one is the not so good side :cry:

geekwarrior
04-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Ok, got your pics guys :rolleyes:

Top one is the good side, bottom one is the not so good side :cry:

shweet :dance:

FiXeL
04-14-2007, 11:03 AM
That sucks... Oh well, i do CNC milling for a living and i also sometimes mess a workpiece up... :rolleyes:

shorty24
04-14-2007, 11:07 AM
That sucks... Oh well, i do CNC milling for a living and i also sometimes mess a workpiece up... :rolleyes:

That would be a sweet job. And yeah, I guess I get a second shot at it, so it's not all bad...

CoolHand
04-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Now what did we learn here?

Never assume the man before you left the machine in the exact condition you need it in.

Clean it, check the vise for square, and check the head for tram every time someone other than you gets done using the machine. Hell, I check the tram on my machine if it's been more than a week or two since I used it, even if no one else has, just to be certain that it's still square with the world.

I think it's smart to always check your gibb locks before you make a cut too. It's very embarrassing to have the machine migrate on you in an axis that is supposed to be locked.

And lastly, make sure the collet/tool holder is the correct size for your end mill, and that it is tight in the machine taper and holding the tool securely. Don't try to collapse an R-8 collet more than about 1/32", or it won't hold tight enough and the tool will pull out as you use it, which makes a cut that looks an awful lot like that bottom pic.

I learned this stuff the same way you are, by breaking things and ruining work. You can take the suggestions or leave them, your call, I'm just trying to shorten your trip and save you a few broken tools and headaches.

shorty24
04-14-2007, 12:32 PM

Never assume the man before you left the machine in the exact condition you need it in.

Clean it, check the vise for square, and check the head for tram every time someone other than you gets done using the machine. Hell, I check the tram on my machine if it's been more than a week or two since I used it, even if no one else has, just to be certain that it's still square with the world.

I think it's smart to always check your gibb locks before you make a cut too. It's very embarrassing to have the machine migrate on you in an axis that is supposed to be locked.

And lastly, make sure the collet/tool holder is the correct size for your end mill, and that it is tight in the machine taper and holding the tool securely. Don't try to collapse an R-8 collet more than about 1/32", or it won't hold tight enough and the tool will pull out as you use it, which makes a cut that looks an awful lot like that bottom pic.

I learned this stuff the same way you are, by breaking things and ruining work. You can take the suggestions or leave them, your call, I'm just trying to shorten your trip and save you a few broken tools and headaches.

TY very much for the advice. I'm new to milling, and you're not, so any advice will be well received. But hey, experience is how I learn... And yes, I believe these are things I will be more careful on in the future.

CoolHand
04-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Yup, no better way to learn than to just get in there and do it.

Just so long as you keep all your fingers, toes, eyes, ears, arms, and noses.

:ninja: <----That look only works if you're really a Ninja.

:cheers:

Russ
04-14-2007, 12:56 PM

Very good advice :)

I've been a tool & diemaker for 28 or-so years...remember to measure twice, cut once!

wjr
04-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Apart from that one mistake, that thing looks really nice! I can't wait to see it when you're completely done with it.

skife
04-14-2007, 01:49 PM
i hate checking the head for tram.

i've only done it a few times but it takes me like 20-30 minutes to do it.

but i'm going to go to the community college for some tooling classes, looking to pickup a small desktop lathe and maybe a small mill for my basement, just to see what i can do.

snoopay700
04-14-2007, 02:06 PM
TY very much for the advice. I'm new to milling, and you're not, so any advice will be well received. But hey, experience is how I learn... And yes, I believe these are things I will be more careful on in the future.
As i always say, the best way to learn is to make a mistake, and generally the bigger the more you learn because you will make extra sure you don't mess up so you don't have the same accident. As long as you don't lose any body parts and no one else is hurt in any way, there's nothing wrong with big mistakes, that's how i learned a lot of stuff (like when one tactic works to bunker someone with a sypder victor 2 while the person you're bunkering has an ion in one game, don't try it the next game afterward, because their whole team will be watching that spot and you'll get lit up really badly).

SummaryJudgement
04-14-2007, 02:32 PM
That sucks man!!! That's a nice design for a micro at least. Is that from one of those micro slugs that were in the Dealers section a while back? I guess you can't get a replacement :(

That one side looks nice at least!

shorty24
04-14-2007, 02:58 PM
That sucks man!!! That's a nice design for a micro at least. Is that from one of those micro slugs that were in the Dealers section a while back? I guess you can't get a replacement :(

That one side looks nice at least!

yessir, it's one of the micro clones. However, I managed to get my hands on another one, and it's on the way. (massive props to Jay for hooking me up there) :D