PDA

View Full Version : The First Air Gun?

Ole Unka Phil
04-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Or at least one of the first... some interesting historical technical facts here about a famous Air Rifle from the Lewis and Clark expedition. Yea... did you know they used an air rifle?

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/#

Download the video...

Remington
04-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Pretty cool stuff! Amazing that someone was able to think up that technology back in the 1800s! :wow:

Paintchucker
04-16-2007, 10:30 AM
I wonder how fast it shot (FPS). It looked like those targets were pretty far away. Looked like an awesome squirrel gun! That was cool seeing Dr. Beeman there. I was sorry that Beeman Air Rifles never got into the PB arena.

snoopay700
04-16-2007, 05:20 PM
I knew about it, doc nickel mentioned it in one of his post things that i read.

Automagsam
04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
If you want more information you should ask Tom, I'm pretty sure he was there with them on that expedition, since they requested he make the rigfle, there is this awesome picture of him with lewis and clark, and that great Kaye style mustache.

snoopay700
04-16-2007, 07:51 PM
If you want more information you should ask Tom, I'm pretty sure he was there with them on that expedition, since they requested he make the rigfle, there is this awesome picture of him with lewis and clark, and that great Kaye style mustache.
You know, the only reason bone was the only thing that could withstand the pressure is because they took resin (made from tom's sweat) and clippings from his mustache and coated the horn with it. When later models were made with metal they did the same thing they did with mags, put the clippings in the molten metal.

d4m4don3
04-16-2007, 09:04 PM
I believe snipers used to use them at the time of the American Revolution. I saw it on the history channel. British used to hate them cause it didn't have any telltale flash of gunpowder. :shooting: