PDA

View Full Version : Myth or Reality

Silent Death 105
04-16-2007, 05:57 PM
My local paintball field makes me shoot my Tac-One at 250fps instead of the standard 280fps. When I asked why they said mags hurt more than other paintball guns. I was wondering if this was actually true because it makes no sense to me. All opinions will be accepted. Please Help Me!

Caboose
04-16-2007, 05:58 PM

That makes absolutely no sense :tard:

EDIT
Well, only if it has an HK sticker on it.

Lohman446
04-16-2007, 06:00 PM
A ball coming out of the barrel at 280FPS hurts the same as a similiar (weight, consitancy) ball coming out of any other barrel at 280FPS. However, some mags with the RT/X valve have shoot up if the proper chrono procedure is not followed - some people always just set theres a bit low to avoid an issue, and I think this may be part of the misunderstanding.

Paintchucker
04-16-2007, 06:02 PM
My local paintball field makes me shoot my Tac-One at 250fps instead of the standard 280fps. When I asked why they said mags hurt more than other paintball guns. I was wondering if this was actually true because it makes no sense to me. All opinions will be accepted. Please Help Me!

And they said the legend of the mag is dead. ROFLMAO...

When I had my emag out a couple years ago, the ref came over and had me go and chrono to check if I was hot. I was wondering if it might be, since I hadn't shot the gun in a couple years previous. But it chrono'd fine (+/- 4 FPS) and was well under the limit !!!

Those mags, they just shoot harder...

:rolleyes:

Silent Death 105
04-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Wow, thank you that was a quick respond.

Automagsam
04-16-2007, 06:15 PM
This is simple physics, and they are morons, if it is going at the same velocity, and is the same paint, it will feel the same, as much as i'd like to say mags are godlike (hell ill say it anyways, mags are godlike :) ) But yeah seriously lol u should right in to mythbusters tho as free publicity for mag owners. -Sam

Silent Death 105
04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
This is simple physics, and they are morons, if it is going at the same velocity, and is the same paint, it will feel the same, as much as i'd like to say mags are godlike (hell ill say it anyways, mags are godlike :) ) But yeah seriously lol u should right in to mythbusters tho as free publicity for mag owners. -Sam I am sure that would make a great episode.

going_home
04-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Tell them you will chrono to the same velocity as all the other players.
Dont put up with that garbage. Its descrimination.
They are just :tard: ......

madcrisis
04-16-2007, 07:04 PM
if they say u cant shoot the same fps as every1 else after explaining to the their reasoning make no sense at all. then be like smart parts and drop a lawsuit.

d4m4don3
04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
They were probably making sure you don't go over 280, a tac-1 has an x valve and the rt effect can increase the speed of the marker to 270 if its set at 250. They're just making sure you do the correct chrono procedure.

Russ
04-16-2007, 07:11 PM

I don't beleive it for one second!

There isn't a field operator in the country that would say/do that. This thread is a Myth!

Head knight of Ni
04-16-2007, 07:28 PM
I don't beleive it for one second!

There isn't a field operator in the country that would say/do that. This thread is a Myth!

I believe it.

captian pinky
04-16-2007, 07:33 PM
well lets see if u hit someone with a mag its steel and other guns are plastic so ya it will hurt more duh

Russ
04-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I believe it.

some are more gulible that others ;)

snoopay700
04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
You can't argue with him unless you get him a shrubbery.

mag_lover05
04-16-2007, 07:57 PM
just like the noobs "he has nitro, it hurts more!!!"

never heard that about a mag, normally i just get wied looks from people, but the owners at the field know whats about to go down :eek:

Ninjeff
04-16-2007, 07:58 PM
A Shrubbery????

Neee!

Head knight of Ni
04-16-2007, 08:01 PM

The Cocker and 'Mag war fallout leaves a long lasting influence. There are field owners who don't know the difference between an RTPro and Tippmann's RT triggers. 'Mags are misunderstood by most people, just like velociraptors.

snoopay700
04-16-2007, 08:04 PM
A Shrubbery????

Neee!
And you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith...a herring!

[/threadjack]

EDIT: Yeah they are misunderstood like raptors, mine rights emo poetry and no one understands him, but i still love him.

mag_lover05
04-16-2007, 08:05 PM
'Mags are misunderstood by most people, just like velociraptors.

:rofl:

Pneumagger
04-16-2007, 08:13 PM
'Mags are misunderstood by most people, just like velociraptors.

IDK, mostpeople is very knowlegeble, and he understands mags. Your wrong :p

And everyone knows velociraptors are AGG.

mostpeople
04-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeh dude, i <3 mags!

And I understand them quite well... :confused:

neppo1345
04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
And you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith...a herring!

[/threadjack]

EDIT: Yeah they are misunderstood like raptors, mine rights emo poetry and no one understands him, but i still love him.

I like the laurels particularly.

FARMER00
04-16-2007, 08:39 PM
well lets see if u hit someone with a mag its steel and other guns are plastic so ya it will hurt more duh
im with you on this, physics, steel will hurt more than plastic with the same force exherted

snoopay700
04-16-2007, 08:45 PM
I like the laurels particularly.
I knew i was going to start something like this up, glad to see i'm not the only nerd who loves that movie.

cyrus-the-virus
04-16-2007, 08:45 PM
.......... :spit_take :rofl:

No it's not true at all.

Jaan
04-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Read this:

http://www.airgun.com/rtchrono.shtml

Yes, a paintball going 280fps is the same as another paintball of the same build going the same speed. But it goes beyond that...there is a proper way to chrony some Automags since shoot up can occur. It's a design "feature".

If you didn't know the proper procedure to chrony the gun, the field owner was correct in making you lower the velocity to be on the safe side...and being safe is the whole point isn't it?

Next time, read the manual :)

Beemer
04-16-2007, 09:11 PM
a tac-1 has an x valve and the rt effect can increase the speed of the marker to 270 if its set at 250.

I dont think so. Where did you hear that?

Nick E
04-16-2007, 09:13 PM
yeah..I hadn't yet understood how drastic the shootup was untill I went the the chrony and tried it...i'd be fien the "BEEEP"(or whatever annoying noise it makes) and I couldn't figure it out. Shoulda just let it be and shot slower..

EDIT: beemer, read the manual. the gas blasting into the chamber heats it up, expanding it, and thereby raising the pressure. the faster you do it, the hotter it gets and the faster it shoots.

blamtro
04-16-2007, 09:22 PM
complete Dumbarse

afortuna
04-16-2007, 09:23 PM
This is a perfect opportunity to have some new gear made.

Front: Why play with an Automag?

Back: Because they shoot harder!

Hats, t-shirts, bumper stickers.

Beemer
04-16-2007, 09:30 PM
EDIT: beemer, read the manual. the gas blasting into the chamber heats it up, expanding it, and thereby raising the pressure. the faster you do it, the hotter it gets and the faster it shoots.

Ummm ya I know. I was a beta tester on the original RT. Show me where it says a 20 fps climb. What it does say is the faster the more consistent.

To add....If I can pull release pull and hold faster then you I will crono your gun at a higher fps then you will with the same velocity setting that you cronoed with. :ninja:

Nick E
04-16-2007, 09:35 PM
I wish I had my m manual so I could photocopy it. I never said 20, but a significant climb is expected. which is why there is a proper and an improper chronographing procedure fo rthe rt's..

d4m4don3
04-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I dont think so. Where did you hear that?

I've seen it happen a couple of times to my own marker, but given the variables it can also be the paint size. 20 was a rough estimation I made.

Beemer
04-16-2007, 09:43 PM
I wish I had my m manual so I could photocopy it. I never said 20, but a significant climb is expected. which is why there is a proper and an improper chronographing procedure fo rthe rt's..

I know you didnt. I quoted D4m4. You were the one who told me to read the manual. I KNOW very well how to crono the RT, X valve. 5fps is significant but it aint no 20 either.

SummaryJudgement
04-16-2007, 09:46 PM
If they do it again, say "ok", but ask if you can keep the shoot-around-corners option on ;)

Dark Side
04-16-2007, 09:48 PM
This is a perfect opportunity to have some new gear made.

Front: Why play with an Automag?

Back: Because they shoot harder!

Hats, t-shirts, bumper stickers.

No.

Have it say....

"Mags do it harder".

snoopay700
04-16-2007, 10:10 PM
No.

Have it say....

"Mags do it harder".
"Save a horse, ride a mag"

cyrus-the-virus
04-16-2007, 10:44 PM
"Save a horse, ride a mag"

no......just no

----------------------
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8948/thepbforumse3.jpg (http://www.thepbforum.com)

snoopay700
04-16-2007, 10:59 PM
no......just no

I'm going to make it into a shirt just for you, and i'll make em for AO days. :p

Tao
04-16-2007, 11:18 PM

It makes absolutly no sense the impact is based on the velocity and mass of the paintball alone. Where this comes from are RTs that climb in velocity. if you follow the proper RT chronographing proceedure you (or your opponents) will have no problems.

MoeMag
04-16-2007, 11:54 PM
IDK. people always tell me my mag hits harder than other guns.
All I stand by is that they shoot straighter and flatter than most guns for whatever reason.
But. It’s a myth.
Hey anything to keep people thinking I am going to kick some rear, when I walk on with a mag. LOL!

wow. big thread for 6 hours old.

Glickman
04-17-2007, 12:03 AM
IDK. people always tell me my mag hits harder than other guns.
All I stand by is that they shoot straighter and flatter than most guns for whatever reason.
But. It’s a myth.
Hey anything to keep people thinking I am going to kick some rear, when I walk on with a mag. LOL!

wow. big thread for 6 hours old.

Player 1 "Hey! the teams are not fair!"
Ref "But you guys are all evenly matched in skill and number of players"
Player 1 "But they have automags!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Blazestorm
04-17-2007, 12:47 AM
They were probably making sure you don't go over 280, a tac-1 has an x valve and the rt effect can increase the speed of the marker to 270 if its set at 250. They're just making sure you do the correct chrono procedure.

I think I'm the only ref in the past 5 years to properly chrono an RT.. which is pull and hold, quick release and pull-hold, quick release pull-hold... etc.

I did it at some local 3man where some kid had an RT... it broke so I lent him my cyborg at the time (2004) ahha.

Zone Drifter
04-17-2007, 01:32 AM
I think I'm the only ref in the past 5 years to properly chrono an RT.. which is pull and hold, quick release and pull-hold, quick release pull-hold... etc.

I did it at some local 3man where some kid had an RT... it broke so I lent him my cyborg at the time (2004) ahha.Thats exactly how they explained to do it in that cheesy video that came with my rt pro. Aside from it looking like a cheap 80's video, its actually pretty informative.

trevorjk
04-17-2007, 02:04 AM
I know you didnt. I quoted D4m4. You were the one who told me to read the manual. I KNOW very well how to crono the RT, X valve. 5fps is significant but it aint no 20 either.

i know you know your stuff beemer so im not argueing with you. but 20fps is a real possibility as alot of people that tune there own level 10 do not have it properly set up. which can (and i have seen) cause fluctuations into the teens. as alot of people use a carrier that is a little to tight and that can also cause fluctuations (as you already know) :p

btw, is it true PBSams is $25 for all day play and air and bring your own paint? is that everyday?
(im assuming your still up at Sams alot)

we get people that come into the store (paintball sally's on hwy 50) that have told us this. and we just want to make sure its true. as i know for sure i point alot of players to Sams :cool:

Pneumagger
04-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Player 1 "Hey! the teams are not fair!"
Ref "But you guys are all evenly matched in skill and number of players"
Player 1 "But they have automags!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you laugh now, but people used to say that years ago.

DaFin
04-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Half of all people are below average.

This reminds me of the Joe Pesci "instant grits" cross examination from "my cousin Vinny".

*paste from IMDB*
Q. Oh, oh, I'm sorry, you testified earlier that the boys went into the store and you had just begun to make breakfast, you were just ready to eat and you heard a gunshot, so obviously it takes you five minutes to make breakfast.
A. That's right

Q. So you knew that. Do you remember what you had?
A. Eggs and grits.

Q. Eggs and grits. I like grits too. How do you cook your grits? You like 'em regular, creamy, or al dente?
A. Just regular, I guess.

Q. Regular? Hmm. Instant grits?
A. No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.

Q. So, Mr. Tipton, how could it take you five minutes to cook your grits, when it takes the entire grit-eating world twenty minutes?
A. I don't know. I'm a fast cook I guess.

Q. I'm sorry, I was all the way over here, I couldn't here you. Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than in anyplace on the face of the earth?
A. I don't know.

Q. Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove? Were these magic grits? Did you buy from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

So they'd *hurt* the same unless of course you bought your paint from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

The gene pool has a shallow end too.

d4m4don3
04-17-2007, 02:43 PM
i know you know your stuff beemer so im not argueing with you. but 20fps is a real possibility as alot of people that tune there own level 10 do not have it properly set up. which can (and i have seen) cause fluctuations into the teens. as alot of people use a carrier that is a little to tight and that can also cause fluctuations (as you already know) :p

Hmm when i went up a carrier I started leaking :(
Guess I'll have to look into getting my mag tuned better. :D

trevorjk
04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Hmm when i went up a carrier I started leaking :(
Guess I'll have to look into getting my mag tuned better. :D

note, i said PROPERLY set up. :cool:

**not saying yours is or isnt... but working in a paintball shop, you see some things that make you want to beat the customer