PDA

View Full Version : Marker Resale Theory

robnix
04-18-2007, 12:02 AM
My marker resale theory:

"A markers resale value is inversely proportional to the amount of new milling, blinky lights, and hype the manufacturer puts into their markers each year."

If it's been postulated before, oops. If not, please discuss.

SummaryJudgement
04-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Anything is only really worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If NO ONE would pay over a thousand dollars for a new paintball gun, then DMs and Egos wouldn't cost more than a thousand dollars. If no one will buy it, how much can someone say it is worth? Outside of the actual cost of production that is.................

New guns tend to have worse re-sale than some "classic" markers because the next year there is a new "up-graded/improved" version of it out and usually in mass quantities. A Smartparts or Eclipse gun that is a couple of years old would probably have lower re-sale (percentage wise) than a red-sponge RT. That is, if you can find someone who wants one. There weren't that many made compared to Egos probably. On AO you would probably have really good luck, but not elsewhere. Palmer guns hold up really well, because there aren't that many floating around out there (in the big picture) and of course they are great quality. Hard to find markers tend to do better, because of the "rareness"/headturning/collectable factor.

Eh, my opinion at least............. :)

snoopay700
04-18-2007, 12:15 AM
You forgot one basic principal to that theory, the amount different useless modes that a gun has.

SummaryJudgement
04-18-2007, 12:17 AM
You forgot one basic principal to that theory, the amount different useless modes that a gun has.

:clap:

Lol, that's right :)

I'm waiting for one to come out with a blender attachment, or a cheesegrater!

robnix
04-18-2007, 07:57 AM

After discussion, we'll modify the theory.

Lohman446
04-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Anything is only really worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If NO ONE would pay over a thousand dollars for a new paintball gun, then DMs and Egos wouldn't cost more than a thousand dollars. If no one will buy it, how much can someone say it is worth? Outside of the actual cost of production that is.................

New guns tend to have worse re-sale than some "classic" markers because the next year there is a new "up-graded/improved" version of it out and usually in mass quantities. A Smartparts or Eclipse gun that is a couple of years old would probably have lower re-sale (percentage wise) than a red-sponge RT. That is, if you can find someone who wants one. There weren't that many made compared to Egos probably. On AO you would probably have really good luck, but not elsewhere. Palmer guns hold up really well, because there aren't that many floating around out there (in the big picture) and of course they are great quality. Hard to find markers tend to do better, because of the "rareness"/headturning/collectable factor.

Eh, my opinion at least............. :)

To some degree. If I were to have bought that red splash new the $225 value today (or whatever) would really suck. If I bought it two years ago for $225, that $225 would seem great.

There are certain markers that have simply bottomed out on resale value. Please don't misconstrue that as a negative.

geekwarrior
04-18-2007, 08:50 AM
the exception to the rule is the xmag

PumpPlayer
04-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Which cost $1400 new and now sells for roughly $900 +/-
That doesn't really sound like much of an exception to me.

The resale value on any marker is always going to be lower because the buyer is taking a chance. They're taking a chance that the previous owner didn't "improve" it.

I can't tell you the number of markers I've bought that have had the sears filed down, the springs stretched or cut, the seals replaced with incorrect ones, etc. 'Cockers are notorious for this type of abuse but they by no means have a corner on the market.

The market will dictate what they go for and most of that market is on eBay.

eBay has been good and bad for the resale market. One the one hand, it's easier to find markers previously thought unobtainable. The rare pieces go for premium prices and are more widely available.

On the other hand, the ones that are extremely common flood the market and drag the price way down.

Each marker has its own following and market and any universal generalization about the resale value of any given marker is too variable to be reliable.

MANN
04-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Its worth more tho if it was used by a pro. :cool:

A-Tach-One
04-18-2007, 10:09 AM
the exception to the rule is the xmag
Well that's because there wasn't a follow up electro marker to it by AGD and nor does it look like there will be, so it will retain a pretty decent value. It would be a different story if a new AGD electro was released every year. :)

Mongoose
04-18-2007, 11:11 AM

A BOTTLE OPENER....at lease i'll us that!! :cheers:

tribalman
04-18-2007, 11:35 AM

been done, but i can't find the images. there is a snatch grip either made from, or to look like a bottle opener.

and to quote the whiteboard "can i call you back in a minute? the call feature disables the shoot feature."

AGDRetro
04-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Those electric cheese graters arent worth squat. My teammate recieved one as a wedding present, it was almost enough for me to swear I'd never get married. But then I rallied the troops (groomsmen & close friends) and we got him a Mini Orracle. It was the only gift fit for a man in a room full of sissy presents. Seriously the chick seems to make out much better with these things and I just hope he helps to return the favor when i get married this fall!

Now, back to the topic at hand men!

MoeMag
04-18-2007, 02:03 PM

http://www.planeteclipse.com/folders/dataproduct/large/DarkEgo6_Red.jpg

The back of the dark ego frames have bottle openers.