PDA

View Full Version : Cheytac Intervention M200, best sniper ever?

UTDragun
04-18-2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvvuxhD3z5E
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vvvuxhD3z5E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vvvuxhD3z5E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

teufelhunden
04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Damnnnnnnnnnn

bornl33t
04-18-2007, 12:43 PM
nice, I'll take 2!

MoeMag
04-18-2007, 01:00 PM
wow. thats great.
Props to that company.

warbeak2099
04-18-2007, 01:02 PM
And I'm willing to bet we won't buy it. The government, especially Congress, has shown a complete and utter refusal to upgrade our troops' weapons systems. The M16 line of rifles for example should not be our primary anymore, especially with the existence of superior assault rifle platforms out there. This probably won't be adopted either, even though it would greatly increase the effectiveness of our scout/sniper teams in the field and contribute to fighting terrorism. Think about it, a weapon that can accurately exterminate a high ranking Al Qaeda leader from almost 2 miles away.

thecavemankevin
04-18-2007, 01:23 PM
ok, so i may be slow, but what exactly does this do? i mean does it compensate somehow inside the scope for all of the variables?

teufelhunden
04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
ok, so i may be slow, but what exactly does this do? i mean does it compensate somehow inside the scope for all of the variables?

I took it as the computer will output what changes need to be made and the shooter will make the manually [via those knobs on the telescopic sight for windage/etc]

Lohman446
04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
And I'm willing to bet we won't buy it. The government, especially Congress, has shown a complete and utter refusal to upgrade our troops' weapons systems. The M16 line of rifles for example should not be our primary anymore, especially with the existence of superior assault rifle platforms out there. This probably won't be adopted either, even though it would greatly increase the effectiveness of our scout/sniper teams in the field and contribute to fighting terrorism. Think about it, a weapon that can accurately exterminate a high ranking Al Qaeda leader from almost 2 miles away.

I'll bait this for Army.

Why is the M16 weapon inadequate?

Rudz
04-18-2007, 01:33 PM
yeah the computer acounts for the variables, and puts the cross hairs where they need to go :shooting: man that thing is awesome

bleachit
04-18-2007, 02:15 PM
:ninja:

Lohman446
04-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I think that might be more fun :)

thecavemankevin
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
I took it as the computer will output what changes need to be made and the shooter will make the manually [via those knobs on the telescopic sight for windage/etc]

ahhhhh!!

SCpoloRicker
04-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I'll bait this for Army.

OMG!1 HK's new system is teh R0X0RZZ!1 ;)

HOMELANDEFENDER
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM

I would agree with you as far as Congress not appropriating the system for our GI's. But the Special Operations Communities have been obtaining the "High Speed" gear from back door sources for a while now. Something that your more common units can't do. If this system is as good as they claim -- I'd bet its already out there in the hands of the very few. This system has been out for some time. Maybe not in its exact form as shown, but they have been offering a smaller caliber version prior to this set up. Computer and all. IIRC - at least a few years.

Cool concept though.

As far as approving various weapons systems -- There has been a ton of testing involved with upgrading the standard infantry weapon, the M16. But I hear Congress had nothing to do with that. I believe the Army decided to hold onto the M16 in favor of a "new" technology weapon using next gen munitions. I wouldn't hold Congress completely at fault.

The SCAR program is still in the works and SOCOM'ish guys are putting that system through its paces presently from what I read. The HK 416/417 is also out there testing. Nothing moves as fast as it should -- tests and field testing in particular is a slow proceedure . But the M16/M4 is eventually going to be replaced for sure IMO. I am a novice in terms of exact info on this subject -- but I'm sure more knowledgable guys will chime in soon.

HLD...

Army
04-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I'll bait this for Army.

Inadequate for what? Shooting 2 miles away? Then yes it is.
Used in the assault for which it was designed, and it is perfect for the job.

Can it be improved? Certainly. Which also explains why we don't use steam powered trains, or fabric wings on jetliners...yet we still have trains and jet liners.

I have touted a piston op-rod for the rifle for 30 years...but who am I but a small voice in a big bomb crater. Ergonomics, range, rate of fire, lethality, adaptability, and light weight are the M16 hallmarks which have never been questioned, and needn't be.

As I have always told my people: "Take care of your rifle as you would take care of your butt, and neither will be full of poop(insert obvious word there) at the end of day".

BTW, the Chaytac requires all possible componant and shooter info to be downloaded prior to firing. Change one tiny detail, and the scope system will fail. The M107 does just fine, no need to have another ammo logistic speedbump. Besides, if it's two miles away, why not simply call in arty or an airstrike? Last thing I want, is for hajji to quickly figure out that I'm in the hills above him.

warbeak2099
04-18-2007, 06:47 PM
That's what I meant. The HK 416 is just a fantastic firearm and IMO perfects the AR15 platform. I hope Homeland is right and that we do eventually transition to it. It's also cool that it can convert to using 30cal ammo.

Army
04-18-2007, 08:27 PM
That's what I meant. The HK 416 is just a fantastic firearm and IMO perfects the AR15 platform. I hope Homeland is right and that we do eventually transition to it. It's also cool that it can convert to using 30cal ammo.
But it's not appreciatively different than an M16, other than the piston. So why spend nearly 3 times as much for an unproven system from another foreign contractor, when we could cheaply, easily, and quickly upgrade the M16?

Swapping calibers is an answer to a non-question. There are squad and company level weapon systems of .30 caliber and larger that are much more useful and meaningful than a heavy recoiling, over-bore assault rifle.

warbeak2099
04-18-2007, 08:43 PM
But it's not appreciatively different than an M16, other than the piston. So why spend nearly 3 times as much for an unproven system from another foreign contractor, when we could cheaply, easily, and quickly upgrade the M16?

Swapping calibers is an answer to a non-question. There are squad and company level weapon systems of .30 caliber and larger that are much more useful and meaningful than a heavy recoiling, over-bore assault rifle.

What is your opinion on the G36 then? I just think there are better platforms than the M16. Do you think it's the best we could be using?

Steelrat
04-18-2007, 09:11 PM
What is your opinion on the G36 then? I just think there are better platforms than the M16. Do you think it's the best we could be using?

G36, like the XM8 that was derived from it, tends to melt during sustained fire, from what I have read. It speaks volumes that Norway just picked the HK416 over the G36, and the HK416 is nothing really but a piston op-rod M16 with a heavy and chunky rail system and HK diopter sights.

I like the SCAR, but it's built for a specific purpose. A piston rod M16 would be a great weapon, and would serve our troops well.