PDA

View Full Version : On/Off pin sizes

hmudd13
04-23-2007, 12:38 AM
I've been doing some flipping through the forums, looking for info on what to replace the on/off in one of my classic valves with.
After reading a lot of threads the general consensus is an RT on/off with .750 pin.
I had an Emag on/off sitting around, so I measured it, and it was .685, or near that.
I measured one of my RT's pins and it was .750

Now here's my dilema, on the Airgun Designs site, they list available pins as;
.712 Emag

There is no mention of a .750. Although, they offer an RTon/off with a .750 for sale as a unit.
Also, what are all the different sizes for?
How does the pin length affect the performance? :tard:

athomas
04-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Classic valves don't use the same pin as retro valves. They use a classic pin. It is .750" If you are using a retro on-off assembly then you need to use a retro on-off pin and it should be .750".

The pin length affects performance by changing the timing between when the on-off closes the front chamber and the sear releases the bolt. If the pin is too long it requires a longer pull and release and there is a greater chance of short stroking. If you don't fully release the trigger due to an excessively long pull, you restrict the recharge rate of the front chamber. Short stroking occurs when you pull the trigger before the chamber is fully recharged with air. If the pin is too short, the sear can be released before the front chamber is closed. This would cause bolt stick due to escaping air preventing the bolt from properly resetting.

The .685" emag pin that you have is a micro-emag pin.

hmudd13
04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
The .685" emag pin that you have is a micro-emag pin.
Thanks for the info,
Now that I look at the reg I took it out of, you're right, it does say Micro Emag.

Can I use that reg (with that on/off) in any frame? Or does it have to be a Micro mag frame.

Walrus
04-23-2007, 03:47 PM
You can use the valve and on/off on any other setup, but you need to replace the on/off pin first. That pin that you have is specific to Micro EMags. The regular Emag on/off pin should work if you are using this in an EMag setup or just get an RT length pin or the whole RT on/off assembly if you want to use it in a standard mech Mag.

athomas
04-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info,
Now that I look at the reg I took it out of, you're right, it does say Micro Emag.

Can I use that reg (with that on/off) in any frame? Or does it have to be a Micro mag frame.Yeah, all the retro valves are the same regardless of the writing on them.