PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle riders......

punkncat
04-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Had a really odd thing happen to me today. In all the years (since 89) I have been riding road bikes I have never had this happen.

I was going down the road and caught a hawk to the face. I was doing about 65 down a state road, caught it out of the corner of my eye right at the last minute. I tried to duck out of the way, but it happened too fast.
WHAM!!! Caught that joker full on in the face. Rocked my whole head back...feathers everywhere.

This would have been very notable, except that for some reason something told me before the ride to put on my full face helmet, other than the half shell I normally wear. That bird would have crushed my nose at the very least.....

Think I am going to go back to the full helmet all the time.

SCpoloRicker
04-24-2007, 09:34 PM

Good idea. Sounds like one of the good scares, in that you didn't get hurt.

Keep the rubber side down. :)

gimp
04-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Holy crap! Glad your ok. I actually think about that a lot. I've clipped some birds driving the car, so I always assumed it would happen on the bike. I came close once, almost got a seagull. I almost dumped it trying to avoid it. Those things are big! I don't know how big a hawk is, but I assume it's big too. That's pretty impressive to take a hawk in the face and keep rollin. Bravo.

+1 on the full face helmet. I won't go without it. Think of all the pebbles that kick up and chip your windshield in the car. I've taken a pebble in the shield. That would have left a really good mark on my face. Not to mention the whole comfort thing. Unless you've got a big windshield, then it's not really that great. Seriously, stick your head out the window when your doing 75mph down the highway if you've never ridden a bike. It sucks.

trevorjk
04-25-2007, 12:23 AM
i was out riding on sunday and actually had a pigeon fly into the side of my bike and actually hit my boot. was very weird, felt like i kicked a tree though

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
04-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Keep yer TWFO
love those flip up shoei;s.
Glad you're okay. Punkncat 1 Hawk 0

Ninjeff
04-25-2007, 02:47 AM
:eek:

Jeez man. I know i ALWAYS wear my full face just for this (sorta) reason.

Big'n slo
04-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Scraped two 18 year olds off the pavement Monday night.
Seems mommy and daddy didn't explain the whole speed kills theory before handing them keys to new crotch rockets. Both had helmets on but at this point their prolly wishing they didn't.

fire1811
04-25-2007, 08:39 PM

Good call. I rode last year for the first time without my helmet. It was the worst experience I have ever had on my bike. I was constantly being hit with bugs. Grasshoppers and beetles hurt like a mother. It wont happen again.

I will stick to my lid.

AirAssault
04-26-2007, 05:26 AM
I had a dog run into my right foot b4, hurt like heck. Riding the twisties here in Colorado and had a deer on the side of the road start to cross. Could of made a diamond in my butt if you know what I mean. I had to stop after that one, would of been bad for sure.

skyless
04-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I had a full grown raven fly through the spokes of my front wheel while i was going 65 ish. it was like black confetii all over the place with all the feathers. Glad to hear you did not go down with a knock to the dome like that. :tard:

punkncat
04-27-2007, 04:01 PM
I had a dog run into my right foot b4, hurt like heck. Riding the twisties here in Colorado and had a deer on the side of the road start to cross. Could of made a diamond in my butt if you know what I mean. I had to stop after that one, would of been bad for sure.

Actually had a Jack Russel Terrier run out in front of me a few months back and strike my left foot controls and heel. I have forward controls so it was the first thing it hit. I just recently had my heel stop hurting from that incident.

I am beginning to think these things might not be safe..... :eek:

Spartan X
04-27-2007, 04:52 PM
I could never used any thing but a full face, Not only would I not be able to see since my eyes get teard up easily, but I am always cleaning off my visor from all the bugs we get, and in the spring and fall it's the worst. I have only had a few large grass hoppers hit me right in the center of the visor and I know i felt the full force of that and it hurt my neck, I could not image what it would have felt like with no visor. I love my Icon, though if I could find one that was comfortable I'd get a Aries

Oh and to that guy that talked about scrapping 2 kids off the pavement, what did you mean you bet they where wising they did not have helmets on? You think that made it any worse? if they are going to have a crash thats going to kill them, at least there face is still there for the viewing.

skife
04-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Scraped two 18 year olds off the pavement Monday night.
Seems mommy and daddy didn't explain the whole speed kills theory before handing them keys to new crotch rockets. Both had helmets on but at this point their prolly wishing they didn't.

explain...

how'd they get into an accident.

Big'n slo
04-30-2007, 09:16 AM
explain...

how'd they get into an accident.

Well, they found that they can't decelerate as fast as they accelerate.
Both hit the back of a box truck that pulled out in front of them, the police approximate they were traveling 100mph.

Big'n slo
04-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Oh and to that guy that talked about scrapping 2 kids off the pavement, what did you mean you bet they where wising they did not have helmets on? You think that made it any worse? if they are going to have a crash thats going to kill them, at least there face is still there for the viewing.

Pain my man, pain.
Ever have a skin graft?

Mango
04-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Haha thats crazy.

I had an owl fly into my windshield once. I can't imagine being hit in the head by a hawk.

Can I call you "Bird Brain" now?