PDA

View Full Version : burst disk

FARMER00
04-24-2007, 10:23 PM
is it possible to burst a burst disk on a co2 tank from a bad fill? my bud has always come to me to get his tanks filled (i have a fill station) and we have never had a problem. But i was away one weekend so he went to the field and had them filled both of the burst disks burst that day. so he replaced them and came to me the next weekend and i filled them and had no problem, so he is playing at the field that he had them filled before and ran out. so they fill it and they both burst again. so of cource he got new ones and we have been playing for weeks and i have been filling them and have had no problem. and once again he takes them to the place to get them filled and they go like a day or 2 later. should he go back and get a refund? or is it luck of the draw? should he be using locktite or teflon tape on it or what do you think is going on

Coralis
04-24-2007, 11:32 PM
They are probably getting overfilled or storing them where they are getting to hot ... living in florida i never would fill my bottles all the way full if i wasnt going to play that day it was just asking to blow a burst disk.

MoeMag
04-25-2007, 01:48 AM
What is the rating on the burst disks? co2 burst disks should be 3k. Sometimes I have had people come in with 1.8k disks and if I don’t notice that and fill them, they will burst a few minutes after I fill them when they warm up a little.

If you are using 1.8k’s and your system does not have a booster or your tanks are not full, that you are not filling the tanks to capacity and you are not filling them enough that it would affect a 1.8k and your fine. The other place may be filling your tanks all the way and causing them to blow.

If that is not the case, the place is probably over filling the bottles, which should never happen!!! ALWAYS USE A SCALE!!! If someone fills your tanks without a scale call them stupid and take your tank from them. Not to mention you have no way of knowing you got your moneys worth of a fill.

I fill bottles full either by using full bulk tanks, chilling the pb tank, or using a booster pump while reading the weight on a digital scale and I never overfill. If you know how much co2 is in a bottle, you should know why a burst disk fails on it.

ALWAYS USE A SCALE!

If the right amount of CO2 is in the bottle and it fails then you know something is wrong with the burst disk or valve

Also a burst disk can just wear out, be faulty, or something in the valve is clogged up and causes the disk to blow… but that usually happens while hooked to the fill station, and the tank will not fill… or fill really slowly then all of a sudden BANG! WHOOOOOSSHHHHHHHH followed by an AHHHH THATS :cuss: COLD!!!!

NEVER USE LOCTIGHT OR TEFLON ON A BURST DISK!!!
They are made out of brass for a reason! Brass seals itself when tightened properly because it deforms the threads slightly to create a seal.
Loc tight could clog the burst disk and make it useless, making your tank a potential bomb, and the same with Teflon.

TrracerAce
04-25-2007, 02:46 AM
An alternate use for burst disks:

I have one threaded into the side port of my Mag's vertical ASA, which I bypassed. I may one day replace it with a gauge to make all the agglets' heads explode as they think I bypassed my LP reg and am running a marker at full regulator pressure.

Spider-TW
04-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Since your discs were relatively new, they should not have been fatigued. Unless the whole assembly popped out, the only issue for loctite would be to plug up the disc, which didn't happen.

I vote for the 1.8k disc and the booster combo. :)

I had a guy fill a bottle for me with a booster (the little two cylinder gizmo in the fill line) and no scale. When I weighed it, it was heavy. I vented it off and fortunately didn't need to go back.

The surest and one of the most exciting ways to blow a disc is to leave the bottle on the dash board of a car with the windows rolled up in the sun. Be sure and let some fresh air in before you enter. :ninja:

The odd thing is that a CO2 bottle will put out a relatively steady pressure of about 750 psi from full capacity to the last bit of liquid as long as it can pick up enough heat. As long as you have some vapor space in the bottle, it should be able to re-liquify at a given pressure and temperature. To blow a disc you have to 1) fill the bottle completely with liquid or 2) apply too much heat or 3) fatigue the disc.

I wonder if the way those boosters pump gas into the bottle isn't a little hard on the burst discs. Basically applying many more pressure cycles to the disc than the fill-dump-fill method.

FARMER00
04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
alright i know im going to get flamed but i never use a scale in fact i know im over filling them when i do them, Ive never had a problem and neither have my couisns (who were playing when mags first came out, both have level 5s and some of the first minimags made) they went semi pro and they did the same as me also all the other teams did too.

my chemesty/physics may be a bit off, but in theory if its a liquid, full is full and no matter what a tank will be around 750psi if there is a small space or if there is a lot of space in the tank, so its always under the same pressure

by the way all the disks were 3000psi ones

MANN
04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
I agree with Farmer. I have been filling my own CO2 tanks for ~10-12 years with 20lb tanks, and while I did have a scale at first I have found that I can watch how full a CO2 tank is visually.

Chill it real good, and then when you fill it you can hear and watch it fill up. I usually stop it ~ an inch from the top. Its probally wrong, but to date I have never had a burst disk blow on me.

FARMER00
04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
I agree with Farmer. I have been filling my own CO2 tanks for ~10-12 years with 20lb tanks, and while I did have a scale at first I have found that I can watch how full a CO2 tank is visually.

Chill it real good, and then when you fill it you can hear and watch it fill up. I usually stop it ~ an inch from the top. Its probally wrong, but to date I have never had a burst disk blow on me.
yeah im thinking that that could be the problem at the field. i chill the tank and watch it but i dont think ive ever seen them do it at the field