PDA

View Full Version : Using MySpace to adopt a child

warbeak2099sgf
04-25-2007, 10:50 PM
So I was reading about this on CNN today and I was wondering what other people would think about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/internet/04/25/myspace.adoption.ap/index.html

Aparentally a couple from Michigan is using MySpace to adopt a child. So far they have had no success but they are hoping for someone to respond. Now I, being an adoptee, can not understand why adoptive parents would ever do such a thing. Personally I think that this is a horrible way to adopt a child. I was wondering what you guys thought about it.

thecavemankevin
04-26-2007, 08:23 AM
adoption process is mucho expensive if going through an adoption agency. however if you know personally the baby mama and do it through lawyers and so on, it's not too expensive. thus the reason they are trying to meet someone wanting to give up for a adoption and go the less expensive way.

not saying it is very appropriate, but i can sort of understand it.

StygShore
04-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Not to mention... they are from Michigan... we are technically the Hillbillies of the north...

Styg

thecavemankevin
04-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Not to mention... they are from Michigan... we are technically the Hillbillies of the north...

Styg

Dontchaknow, QFT

warpfeedmod
04-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Do you think theres any sort of emotional impact to the child (if they find one) if he or she isn't in their adoptive parents' top 8?

DADDY DOESN'T LOVE YOU BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT IN HIS TOP 8!

"Sally is in your extended friends list"

warbeak2099sgf
04-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Do you think theres any sort of emotional impact to the child (if they find one) if he or she isn't in their adoptive parents' top 8?

DADDY DOESN'T LOVE YOU BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT IN HIS TOP 8!

"Sally is in your extended friends list"

From personal experience I have emotional attachtment issues from when I was adopted, eventhough I was only five days old at the time. I think that no matter when a child is adopted they have this void in their life and tend to feel like at some point someone close to them abandoned them in a way.

emumikey
04-26-2007, 05:55 PM
From personal experience I have emotional attachtment issues from when I was adopted, eventhough I was only five days old at the time. I think that no matter when a child is adopted they have this void in their life and tend to feel like at some point someone close to them abandoned them in a way.

Warbeak,

You stated that very effectively. My fiance is adopted and she has had similar feelings. I think it would be common for adopted people to have issues like this. Not necessarily good or bad, just issues that people raised in a "traditional" setting do not experience.

Do you think the method of adoption would have an impact on the childs life as time goes on? I don't know that it would...

warbeak2099sgf
04-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Warbeak,

You stated that very effectively. My fiance is adopted and she has had similar feelings. I think it would be common for adopted people to have issues like this. Not necessarily good or bad, just issues that people raised in a "traditional" setting do not experience.

Do you think the method of adoption would have an impact on the childs life as time goes on? I don't know that it would...

Personally, I think that the method of adoption would have an impact on the childs life. My parents told me how I was adopted and all of the details since I was able to understand it. But that is only how I feel, my brother on the other hand seems not bothered at all by the fact that he is adopted. Not that I am upset about it, I think that it is a wonderful thing for a family to do. But really I think that it depends on the person who is adopted and how their family goes about telling them that they are adopted. I know some people who's parents did not tell them that they were adopted until they were in their teens. And I know that if I were ever to adopt a child I would want them to be informed about their adoption, and I hope that my boyfriend would agree with me on that. But like I said, I think that it depends on the people involved.

warbeak2099
04-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Warbeak,

Woah woah, let's not call her me. She has the lady parts and I have the man parts.

Lol, good job on your first thread. I can't believe my gf joined AO. You are now a part of the chaos and insanity, not just a bystander.

behemoth
04-26-2007, 10:00 PM

Styg

Much to be said about Ann Arbor, too...

tech-chan
04-27-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm adopted and I don't care a darn about how I'm adopted.

emumikey
04-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Woah woah, let's not call her me. She has the lady parts and I have the man parts.

Lol, good job on your first thread. I can't believe my gf joined AO. You are now a part of the chaos and insanity, not just a bystander.

LOL, sorry. I didn't realize that there were too of you, didnt catch the different SN

warbeak2099sgf
04-27-2007, 11:25 PM
yeah there are two of us. And I am adopted too and I do care how I was adopted. Maybe its because I'm a girl and I am more prone to feelings like that, but it just seems important to me.

Spartan X
04-28-2007, 03:10 PM
I have a adopted brother and we got scammed on our first attempt. We lost out on 23 grand from a agency in California. People do have to be wary about the process. I think the Myspace thing is a great idea for meeting a couple that wants to set there child up for adoption, because some people that want to adopt try so many ways, and the internet has become a great tool for that. besides that fact that most of the people who would be setting there child up for adoption here in the US any way prolly use the internet a good amount of the time and have my spaces.

Fred
04-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Ann Arbor isn't really part of michigan, nor is it really part of the reality that the people outside of it occupy...

I think adoption is great! I have some friends who are unable to have their own children, and are perfectly capable of being parents... but have had horrible experiences trying to adopt a child.

warbeak2099sgf
04-28-2007, 04:31 PM
It's not that I'm against using myspace to adopt a child, I think that it is a good way to meet someone who wants to put their child up for adoption but I do believe that a family should go through some sort of adoption agency or like that. Personally I glad that myspace wasn't around in 1988 when I was adopted. I don't think that I would want to find out that my parents found me on the internet. It would just seem like they didn't put in a large amount of effort to adopting a child. I hope that warbeak2099 would agree with me when I say that if I were ever to adopt a child I would never want to find a child on the internet but rather through an agency.

warbeak2099
04-28-2007, 06:09 PM
I hope that warbeak2099 would agree with me when I say that if I were ever to adopt a child I would never want to find a child on the internet but rather through an agency.

I think we should buy a couple off the black market and sell the ones we don't want for a 10% profit. :D

skife
04-28-2007, 11:00 PM
my cousin was put up for adoption when he was 9 years old.

he's all messed up now, the doctor that adopted him, him and his wife got a divorce and neither one of them wanted him.... he's way way messed up.

Spartan X
04-29-2007, 04:53 PM
It's not that I'm against using myspace to adopt a child, I think that it is a good way to meet someone who wants to put their child up for adoption but I do believe that a family should go through some sort of adoption agency or like that. Personally I glad that myspace wasn't around in 1988 when I was adopted. I don't think that I would want to find out that my parents found me on the internet. It would just seem like they didn't put in a large amount of effort to adopting a child. I hope that warbeak2099 would agree with me when I say that if I were ever to adopt a child I would never want to find a child on the internet but rather through an agency.

So you think that because it was easy for tyhem to adopt that they love you less? You think it should be hard and very expensive to adopt? Your logic sounds very dumb, and yes that is a flaim.

kosmo
04-29-2007, 05:34 PM
In all actuality, adoption should work exactly like a dog pound: children kept in small cages, euthanized if nobody buys them within two months. Its a system that has proven to be efficient and effective with the 4 legged critters and logically would then be twice as effective with the two legged ones. That in combination with a Bob Barker/Price is Right campaign to spay or neuter your children would solve many of our societies problems.

neppo1345
04-29-2007, 07:29 PM
In all actuality, adoption should work exactly like a dog pound: children kept in small cages, euthanized if nobody buys them within two months. Its a system that has proven to be efficient and effective with the 4 legged critters and logically would then be twice as effective with the two legged ones. That in combination with a Bob Barker/Price is Right campaign to spay or neuter your children would solve many of our societies problems.

In highschool I had a friend write a paper very similar to that.

It included homeless people too.

kosmo
04-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Orphans and homeless people are the same thing, really. Orphans are just a little younger. Thats exactly why euthanasia is necessary. If we let them grow old and homeless, they could get rabies and become a public danger.

SCpoloRicker
04-29-2007, 07:46 PM
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/475/seriouscatxh4.jpg

I certainly think it's reasonable for adopted kids to have unique feelings about their family. I also expect orphans to have unique feelings about how they grew up. Now that I think about it, I bet children from divorced families probably had unique experiences. And, geez, perish the thought, but what about families that experienced untimely death? I mean, wow, that would totally cause a unique experience. Or what if you were unpopular? That would shape your childhood into, I don't know, unique?

Jeez.

warbeak2099sgf
04-29-2007, 08:31 PM
So you think that because it was easy for tyhem to adopt that they love you less? You think it should be hard and very expensive to adopt? Your logic sounds very dumb, and yes that is a flaim.

No I don't think that it should be expensive, like I said before I think that it is a good way to meet a mother who is pregnant and want's to put her child up for adoption, but I think that a lawyer should be involved no matter how an adoption is conducted.

warbeak2099sgf
04-29-2007, 08:35 PM
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/475/seriouscatxh4.jpg

I certainly think it's reasonable for adopted kids to have unique feelings about their family. I also expect orphans to have unique feelings about how they grew up. Now that I think about it, I bet children from divorced families probably had unique experiences. And, geez, perish the thought, but what about families that experienced untimely death? I mean, wow, that would totally cause a unique experience. Or what if you were unpopular? That would shape your childhood into, I don't know, unique?

Jeez.

I totally agree. Everyone has a unique childhood, but those who are a minority of sorts do have a very different childhood. I know that I have, and I have never ever been popular so that i guess plays into my childhood experience in a way.

On another note, this is a subject that I feel very strongly about and I will defend myself to all ends becasue of how I feel and what I have experienced.(if you don't believe me just ask warbeak2099, he knows)...but there are some things that I do agree upon, like that adoption is extremely expensive and tedious, but at the same time it is a very joyful and amazing experience for a family.

kosmo
04-29-2007, 08:45 PM
And these are uh...

Oh, those are Mr. Lebowski's children

Different mothers.

No...

So racially, he's pretty cool?

SCpoloRicker
04-29-2007, 09:52 PM
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5247/brandtgk5.jpg

[laughs] They're not literally his children. They're the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers - inner city children of promise but without the necessary means for a - necessary means for a higher education. So Mr Lebowski is committed to sending all of them to college.

warbeak2099
04-29-2007, 10:07 PM
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5247/brandtgk5.jpg

[laughs] They're not literally his children. They're the Little Lebowski Urban Achievers - inner city children of promise but without the necessary means for a - necessary means for a higher education. So Mr Lebowski is committed to sending all of them to college.

Lol, the Big Lebowski ftw

Spartan X
04-29-2007, 10:39 PM
No I don't think that it should be expensive, like I said before I think that it is a good way to meet a mother who is pregnant and want's to put her child up for adoption, but I think that a lawyer should be involved no matter how an adoption is conducted.

Well you do have to have a lawer involved for it to be legal. It's hard to care for a child if they are not legally yours...to many legal issues would come up with child services. Especially if the child is from another country and he does not get a green card. Kind of a requirement to go through the legal process.

warbeak2099
04-29-2007, 10:56 PM
She just wants to make sure that myspace isn't being used as a substitute for the proper and legal process. You know, kind of like how it's used as a substitute for the process of social interaction lol.

What I see being possible is the degeneration of this into people trying to find a quick and easy way to "buy" a kid online. The same people who might want a quick and easy way to raise a child... doesn't exist. Myspace isn't exactly the haven of maturity or security.

warbeak2099sgf
04-30-2007, 02:59 PM
She just wants to make sure that myspace isn't being used as a substitute for the proper and legal process. You know, kind of like how it's used as a substitute for the process of social interaction lol.

What I see being possible is the degeneration of this into people trying to find a quick and easy way to "buy" a kid online. The same people who might want a quick and easy way to raise a child... doesn't exist. Myspace isn't exactly the haven of maturity or security.

Thank you, that is how I feel. :clap:

kosmo
04-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Blah blah blah

You have no frame of reference here, Beaky. Youre like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know what happened.

warbeak2099sgf
04-30-2007, 07:26 PM
You have no frame of reference here, Beaky. Youre like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know what happened.

But he's like that all the time. ;)

SCpoloRicker
04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
But he's like that all the time. ;)

You're out of your element.

wjr
04-30-2007, 08:22 PM
There's a lesbian couple that lives in my town that BOUGHT a 10 year old boy. They actually paid his grandmother in cash to buy the kid. Crazy world.

/Continue with thread. :argh:

warbeak2099sgf
04-30-2007, 09:05 PM
There's a lesbian couple that lives in my town that BOUGHT a 10 year old boy. They actually paid his grandmother in cash to buy the kid. Crazy world.

wow, all i can say is wow. I've got nothing against gay couples, three of my uncles are gay, but to pay someone cash for a child seems strange to me. I know that there were legal payments that were required for my parents to adopt me but they didn't have to pay cash for me, it shocks me what this world is coming to.

rkjunior303
05-01-2007, 01:55 PM

did it come with a return policy?

/thor?

thecavemankevin
05-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Lol, the Big Lebowski ftw

extra ftw
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/dragonballzcentral_1947_1330767512