PDA

View Full Version : Pump Mag Grief

hmudd13
04-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Here's the issue. When I gas it up, it leaks severely out the barrel. I pull the trigger and it stops, almost completely.
Now that makes me think power tube spacer or Oring. I changed to new Oring and tried all the spacers down to .215
No change.
Sometimes the bolt comes forward but only half way.
Also it tends to go semi auto while i'm fiddling with it.
So I think the spring is too heavy. I changed to various springs. No change
Changed to 3 different bolts, lvl 7, lvl 5, and ANS(i know but I'm desperate)
No change.
Changed on/off orings, when that didn't work, changed entire valves. Same problem.

the only constant is the wave spring and spacer.
I'm stumped. :tard:
Can somebody please help me???

Duzzy
04-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Do you have that bumper by your wave spring? Is the wave spring old? Check your sear?

Spider-TW
04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Here's the issue. When I gas it up, it leaks severely out the barrel. I pull the trigger and it stops, almost completely.
Now that makes me think power tube spacer or Oring. I changed to new Oring and tried all the spacers down to .215

I would say you were on the right track here, except for the 'almost completely' ;) All gas flow should stop when you hold down the trigger.

What kind of body do you have?

Try changing the tension on your rear frame screw. It should be finger tight to start with. If more tension is added, only 'snugged' with a wrench.

hmudd13
04-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Do you have that bumper by your wave spring? Is the wave spring old? Check your sear?
I'd have to say the spring is old, I've had it for 2 years and bought it used, and the bumper is a cut to fit blue one.

I'll try a new sear today.

hmudd13
04-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I would say you were on the right track here, except for the 'almost completely' ;) All gas flow should stop when you hold down the trigger.

What kind of body do you have?

Try changing the tension on your rear frame screw. It should be finger tight to start with. If more tension is added, only 'snugged' with a wrench.

The "almost completely" is probably my fault. I was farting around with the clevis length, because I couldn't get the on/off to release without sticking an allen wrench between the trigger and clevis to get it up. (clevis seemed too short)

It's a polished classic body.

Changed the tension and although it changed the sound of the leak, it never got it close to being gone. :confused:

It's like the bolt doesn't come back far enough to engage the powertube oring.
But maybe the spring IS too weak, allowing for semi auto.
Still stumped:tard:

Spider-TW
04-26-2007, 05:34 PM
I have not had a pump mag in my hands. :cry:

However, I believe the purpose of the wave spring is to prevent the automatic reset of the bolt (semi-auto). Somewhere between a too strong main spring and a too weak wave spring, it can re-cock by itself.

Looking at the old pump mag kits, they came with a particular power tube spacer. That was when mags were using power tube springs though. I guess your mag was working before with a regular spacer?

I cannot connect your leak with a weak wave spring though. If you cock it before you gas up, what does it do?

hmudd13
04-26-2007, 09:23 PM
I have not had a pump mag in my hands. :cry:

However, I believe the purpose of the wave spring is to prevent the automatic reset of the bolt (semi-auto). Somewhere between a too strong main spring and a too weak wave spring, it can re-cock by itself.

Looking at the old pump mag kits, they came with a particular power tube spacer. That was when mags were using power tube springs though. I guess your mag was working before with a regular spacer?

I cannot connect your leak with a weak wave spring though. If you cock it before you gas up, what does it do?
I tried an old spring power tube spacer also, no change.

Spider-TW
04-26-2007, 09:39 PM
You should not be getting any air through the on/off if the sear is not latched up on the bolt. If that is happening, the main spring should not be capable of keeping the pressure in anyway. Sounds like maybe your on/off is working but the pin is too short or you have too many shims. What kind of valve and on/off do you have? When was the last time you had this one working?

hmudd13
04-27-2007, 12:23 AM
You should not be getting any air through the on/off if the sear is not latched up on the bolt. If that is happening, the main spring should not be capable of keeping the pressure in anyway. Sounds like maybe your on/off is working but the pin is too short or you have too many shims. What kind of valve and on/off do you have? When was the last time you had this one working?
It's a classic valve, with the stock on/off, and I changed the entire on/off assembly, when that didn't work, I swapped valves. No change

Has to be something to do with the wave and/or sear I think.

PumpMag
04-27-2007, 12:37 AM
It seems like you tried every option.....

If you replaced all the soft parts with new ones, then.......

Did you remember to put a few drops of Autolube oil in the ASA to lubricate the internals?

hmudd13
04-27-2007, 12:55 AM
It seems like you tried every option.....

If you replaced all the soft parts with new ones, then.......

Did you remember to put a few drops of Autolube oil in the ASA to lubricate the internals?
Yup, it's good and juicy in there. :confused:
In the morning I'm going to change the sear, and fool around with the wave spring.

PumpMag
04-27-2007, 01:29 AM
Another note:

Make sure the blue bumper is cut to fit inside your spring. It is for keeping the wave spring centered.

There should be no bumper resting behind the wave spring.

Also:

Make sure you didn't miss putting in an o-ring somewhere. That might be the logical reason for an open air path. It's happened to me. Just check again.

hmudd13
04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Ok, I swapped the sear for a new one, checked the bumper, made sure all the orings are there, and now I'm out of air in the scuba. I'll have to get a refill.

The latest action is, it cocks alright, I pull the trigger and the bolt only goes forward about a half inch and then the air dumps out the barrel.
It doesn't seem to hang up on anything, just no air to push it I guess.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help. I'll give it another shot in a couple of days when I get the tank filled.
Or maybe I'll try some Co2, hmmmmm.