PDA

View Full Version : I'm lost with that Lv 10

sTaLa
04-27-2007, 05:57 PM
The setup I have is the short spring, the smallest carrier and three shims.

My problem is that the bolt chops like hell (it HURTS my finger) and it doesn't reset.

If I put the red spring (to get it more sensitive), the gun shoots hot.
If I add one more shim (to get the bolt reset), it starts leaking out of the front.

Last year I had 0 shim, the second smallest carrier and the red spring... and it worked like a charm. I began to have problems this spring.

Do any of you have any idea?
Thanks.

Tunaman
04-27-2007, 06:01 PM
You need to get some different orings and try again. If you are down to your last size carrier then it is time to get a different oring in there. Without adjustment left, L10 is no good.

sTaLa
04-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I understand what you mean... but that carrier makes the o-ring pretty tight on the bolt. I'm pretty sure that if I could get a smaller carrier, the bolt would stick.
In fact I can still use the second smaller carrier with that o-ring, but I think that since my goal is to have a sensitive bolt, I want to have the smallest possible carrier.

Tunaman
04-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Your carrier is probably too tight right now. Change the oring and go up a carrier size if you can. The fit can be quite loose before they leak. Orings expand and move around alot so make sure it isn't too tight.

Tunaman
04-27-2007, 06:17 PM
I understand what you mean... but that carrier makes the o-ring pretty tight on the bolt. I'm pretty sure that if I could get a smaller carrier, the bolt would stick.
In fact I can still use the second smaller carrier with that o-ring, but I think that since my goal is to have a sensitive bolt, I want to have the smallest possible carrier.I think you have it backwards. You want the LOOSEST carrier that doesn't leak...not the smallest..

sTaLa
04-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Really? I thought I wanted the smallest carrier that doesn't stick the bolt :confused:.

I thought this because they say in the "how to adjust" that if one wants a really sensitive bolt, one has to go to the next smallest carrier once the bolt is set properly. So I thought that if I wanted less break... I had to have the tightest carrier that would slow down the bolt the maximum without sticking it.

Right, I'll assume you're right since you have a lot of experience in tuning Lvs 10.

Thanks.

Tunaman
04-27-2007, 07:28 PM
get your carriers out and all in order(the smallest 3-4 anyway). Hold the bolt in your hand and put a carrier /oring on the end of the bolt stem and dangle the bolt. If the bolt slips off the carrier from its own weight then it is too loose. Find the carrier (using the same oring) that will have just enough friction to support the weight of the bolt without falling off. Now you have found the right carrier. Dont forget to oil the outside carrier oring(black) before installing. If you are using a new oring, the seam in the middle of the oring will wear pretty fast so be prepared to change the carrier to one smaller after a few hundred/thousand rounds when it starts to leak out the front. Tune it with no shims, then after it is working good you can add 1 shim at a time until it leaks out the front. Then take one out. Use the gold spring for the best reliability. Let me know if you need more.

maglover728
04-28-2007, 03:23 PM
The use of the smaller carrier is to increase the resestance on the bolt and make it work with the spring in order to make the bolt easier on the balls (fine tuning). Just to make the LVLX work, TUNA is right on the money.

athomas
04-30-2007, 09:55 AM
The use of the smaller carrier is to increase the resestance on the bolt and make it work with the spring in order to make the bolt easier on the balls (fine tuning)....That does work, but it also introduces a level of unreliability. The softer you get the bolt impact, the greater the chances that a setup like this may fail to fire after it sits for a while.

I agree with Tunaman, always use the largest carrier that doesn't leak. If you need to really fine tune it, do it by cutting down a long stiff bolt spring, not by making the carrier tighter.

sTaLa, how old is sthe bolt spring and/or how many shots have you fired? It could be that the bolt spring is worn out.

Badmovies.org
04-30-2007, 11:12 AM
get your carriers out and all in order(the smallest 3-4 anyway). Hold the bolt in your hand and put a carrier /oring on the end of the bolt stem and dangle the bolt. If the bolt slips off the carrier from its own weight then it is too loose. Find the carrier (using the same oring) that will have just enough friction to support the weight of the bolt without falling off.

I wanted to say that I had never heard this before, but Tunaman is one of the few people I would trust without checking myself. That is a very cool trick. I have always done the initial fitting by feel, which is not a lot of use when trying to help someone on a forum (or on the phone) to get their Lvl 10 working right - this tip is really useful for that. Thank you.

Tunaman
04-30-2007, 06:49 PM
I wanted to say that I had never heard this before, but Tunaman is one of the few people I would trust without checking myself. That is a very cool trick. I have always done the initial fitting by feel, which is not a lot of use when trying to help someone on a forum (or on the phone) to get their Lvl 10 working right - this tip is really useful for that. Thank you.
Yes...always put the carrier on the bolt stem to check for snug before installing in the valve. This will save you mucho time...works everytime too.

Badmovies.org
04-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Yes...always put the carrier on the bolt stem to check for snug before installing in the valve. This will save you mucho time...works everytime too.

I've always done that, but judged the fit by feel myself - rather than checking to see if the bolt would hang as you describe. I always check by hand, then install it, try to go up a carrier size, etc - but usually the initial check for fit I do turns out to be the right one. However, that method is not something you can give to someone. "All right, now check and feel if it fits right." is not helpful to a player learning to tune their Lvl 10.

Thanks again.

Tunaman
04-30-2007, 08:25 PM
I've always done that, but judged the fit by feel myself - rather than checking to see if the bolt would hang as you describe. I always check by hand, then install it, try to go up a carrier size, etc - but usually the initial check for fit I do turns out to be the right one. However, that method is not something you can give to someone. "All right, now check and feel if it fits right." is not helpful to a player learning to tune their Lvl 10.

Thanks again.You are correct. One mans fit is another mans disaster. The oring will actually seal when quite loose. They expand and move around alot. Looser is better. ;)