PDA

View Full Version : Andrew’s AGD Chronicles 28 April 2007

Badmovies.org
04-29-2007, 09:14 PM
A package arrived from The Mag Smith for me. Inside were some parts (including x-valve bolt bumpers), but the fun item was a new Splinter Pro trigger.

It took me about fifteen minutes to install the trigger. To install the new trigger, I grabbed two pieces of scrap wood I had (walnut, as it turned out) a small hammer, and a pair of nail sets. A nail set is the best thing to use from my experience. I needed to use the smallest, which I believe is the 1/32 set. First, you have to hammer out the pin that holds the trigger in place. It goes out from right to left, if you are holding the marker with the barrel facing away from you (had to look that up on AO, as I did not remember). I put the trigger frame down on the pieces of wood, so the trigger pin could be knocked out between them, and tapped it out. Once the trigger pin is fully tapped out, the trigger will easily slide out. I flipped the frame over, carefully aligned the new trigger, and tapped the pin back in. I used a piece of rag to cover the pin for the last few taps to prevent dinging the frame.

With the new trigger installed, I found that the trigger pull was improved. I could almost reliably walk the trigger with my Crossfire high pressure tank.

The next upgrade was the big one. Rob from Outdoor Adventures called me on Saturday the 27th and let me know that my tank was done. I had dropped off a Crossfire 68/4500 high pressure tank to have an AGD 4500 Flatline Regulator installed. I had made sure to ask for the rail mount (this may or may not be standard for them). So, when I went to the Rosedale field, all I had to do was remove my on/off ASA, put a fitting and quick disconnect on the Flatline, slide it onto the drop forward, and hook up the hose from the valve. I adjusted the pressure to 1100 psi (it will go up to 1200 psi).

The difference in the marker was amazing. With very little practice, I can walk the trigger and reliably shoot at about 10 bps when snapshooting. I can also sweet spot the trigger and really rip, including for long bursts. However, my true goal for the trigger and regulator upgrade was an easily walkable mechanical marker, so I have been practicing walking the trigger and will do so some more. I want to minimize how often I incorrectly pull the trigger now that the marker is performing in such a fantastic manner. I am definitely looking forward to the next time I can play.

Two unknowns right now are what the regulator change will do to my air efficiency (honestly, it must go down) and if I need to spend time practicing my aim and delivering paintballs onto target again - since the way I operate the trigger has changed.

The only bad thing I can say about the Flatline Reg is that I cannot bleed off the pressure below 400 psi. You can turn it off, then fire about three shots to dump most of the pressure between the regulator and the x-valve, but about 400 psi remains. The only way I have found to completely depressurize is to pop the quick disconnect I have at the fitting to the regulator.

I want an AGD sticker for my Vlocity. Usually, stickers annoy me, but a single AGD sticker to show my pride in the marker would be nice. The AGD coat of arms and the simple phrase “Because quality always shoots straight” is something I can appreciate.

Shot count for this marker, the MiniTac Pro, is now 8000.

Current setup:

X-Valve with Lvl 10 (1 shim, 1.5 carrier)
Mini-Tac Mainbody w/dual RPG detents and RPG clamping feedneck
Tac Rail
Intelliframe with Splinter Pro Trigger
ULT (6 ULT shims)
Hogue .45 Grips
Viewloader Vlocity
CP Razor Drop
RT Pro Front Grip
Shrink-wrapped Hose w/Quick Disconnect
68/4500 Tank with AGD 4500 Flatline Regulator and Dye Rhino cover
12" Powerlyte 2007 Scepter kit (.684, .686, .688, .690, and .692 inserts)

Pics of the marker:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2352594&postcount=2233

Previous entries in the chronicles here:

22 April 2007
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213998

14 April 2007:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213611

5 April 2007:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213102

25 March 2007:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212556

24 February 2007:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211063

punkncat
04-30-2007, 09:03 PM
I have been playing with an adjustable tank for a few days now. I am using the RT on/off, instead of the ULT. I have been able to get quite a wide range of responsive from the trigger by changing the input pressure.
Pretty fun thing to do, unfortunatly the tank I have is only a 3K so it runs out pretty fast at full clip....at its best, faster than my ReloaderB will feed in speed 3. I am guessing at around the mid 20's.

MikeyL
04-30-2007, 09:42 PM
how much does your setup weigh?

Badmovies.org
05-01-2007, 11:57 AM
I have been playing with an adjustable tank for a few days now. I am using the RT on/off, instead of the ULT. I have been able to get quite a wide range of responsive from the trigger by changing the input pressure.
Pretty fun thing to do, unfortunatly the tank I have is only a 3K so it runs out pretty fast at full clip....at its best, faster than my ReloaderB will feed in speed 3. I am guessing at around the mid 20's.

Per the chrono the other day, I shot a few strings of 18 bps when I was sweetspotting. I know that the common knowledge fact is that the normal on/off will achieve a higher bps, but I am quite happy with both the bps and feather trigger pull that I have presently - so I will probably not put the normal on/off back in.

how much does your setup weigh?

Man, that is a good question. I will get it to a scale in the near future. It is plenty light to me, which means I find it easy to keep it up and in my shoulder for long periods when I play. Being able to do that makes me a lot more effective. I see the other player and can immediately begin firing.

Badmovies.org
05-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Weighed the marker today. With the barrel (and insert), but without the tank or loader, it came in at 2 lbs, 3 ounces.

yaaaowHuggs
05-11-2007, 10:00 PM
i say people should wieght their mags without the barrel, reg or battery, like everyone else lol