PDA

View Full Version : Damaged body..insert moved.

Target
04-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know if the insert inside an AGD body is just pressed in or if it is secured by any other means?

I swapped my X-valve from one 'Mag to another and when I was at the chrony, my barrel popped off and I could not get it to lock back in place.
I looked in the feedneck and saw that the insert was pushed forwasd 1/8" or so.

I was going to try and put it back in its original position but do not know if it is soldered, loctited or what in position.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

WalkingTarget
04-30-2007, 01:50 PM
i think it's silver-soldered into the body (if it's a stainless mainbody)

if it's another aluminum body i think that some were made with a type of c-clip to hold the stop in....

flyingpootang
04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Dan I think your talking about the barrel detent which locks the barrel in. It's pressed into the rail. If you take apart the body from the rail you can remove the grub screw that holds it in on the bottom. It's probably rusted or the spring has failed....

Target
04-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Here are some pics of the aftermath.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/Target13/MVC-027F-1.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/Target13/MVC-028F.jpg

When I put the X-valve in another Mag, it chrony'd at 397fps.
It seems that the bolt hit the insert with such pressure that it pushed it forward.
Body is a standard stainless powerfeed .

Dan

Spider-TW
04-30-2007, 08:11 PM
yow :wow:

WalkingTarget
05-01-2007, 03:17 PM
yep... that's definitely silver-soldered in.

what you can do is use a rod as a punch to move it back into place, then blowtorch the body and introduce silver solder into the front of the body onto the insert. (there's a reason for the front side of the body!!)

still, to break that silver-solder the valve must have given it one hell of a kick.

flyingpootang
05-01-2007, 05:38 PM
I don't think you can silver solder stainless steel. You might want to talk to Matt at lukescustoms.com I now he welds new feeds on the stainless bodies..

SummaryJudgement
05-01-2007, 10:07 PM
HOLY COW!

You may want to get a new body all-together. The classic bodies are cheap enough these days, and repairing something like that could still lead to problems in the future.

I have an old classic hopper-left power-feed baody you can have if you want. Just pay shipping and it's yours ;) :D

PM me if interested.......

onestretch
05-02-2007, 12:57 AM
I think it's laser welded just like the powertube on a classic valve.
I had a classic valve that came apartright there, talked with tech support they said that it is laser welded

KayleAGD
05-05-2007, 08:15 PM
i think it's silver-soldered into the body (if it's a stainless mainbody)

if it's another aluminum body i think that some were made with a type of c-clip to hold the stop in....
We have a winner !! The washer is silver soldered in the mainbody with an oxy/acetelene torch. They are repairable , but like the other post said , may not be worth it ..