PDA

View Full Version : Brass fitting and 3000psi

Smoothice
05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey guys,

I am in the process of getting my scuba fill set up and ran into a little problem.

In order to attach a 10inch length of stainless steel hose to my scuba fill adapter I need a 1/8" female to female adapter.

I'm adding the hose so that I don't need to remove my tank from my gun to fill it.

Good old Home Depot only has this adapter in Brass.

Will brass be strong enough to withstand 3000psi?

Thanks!

MANN
05-07-2007, 04:53 PM
The local hose and fitting place told me that brass would not work when I modded my fill station. They said to only use steel.

What part do you need? your fill station probally has a 1/8npt female port, and most ss hose is 1/8npt male.

Smoothice
05-07-2007, 05:02 PM
The local hose and fitting place told me that brass would not work when I modded my fill station. They said to only use steel.

What part do you need? your fill station probally has a 1/8npt female port, and most ss hose is 1/8npt male.

The first fitting on my adapter is a (bigger then 1/8") male to 1/8" male. Then my female quick disconnect.

I want it to be the (bigger then 1/8") male to 1/8" male. Then my 1/8" female to 1/8" female. Then my 1/8" male to 1/8" male ss hose. Then my 1/8" female quick disconnect.

This is the piece that is currently in Brass

Smoothice
05-08-2007, 09:50 PM
So am I going to blow up if I try a brass fitting with 3000psi?

Anybody else have any experience with brass and high psi?

RangerX
05-09-2007, 12:18 AM
you could probably "get" away with using the brass but it would be a considerable safety hazard. Brass npt fittings in the 1/8" size are good for about 2900 PSI.

Stainless steel fittings of the same size are good for around 5500 PSI.

If it were me I usually err on the side of caution and go build things so they are safer than "spec" so they can take a little abuse, and I'd definetly go with the stainless steel fittings.

I deal with high pressure hydraulics in my line of work and you can never be to safe

Parker (http://www.parker.com/ICD/CAT/ENGLISH/4260.PDF) makes excellent fittings

Smoothice
05-09-2007, 09:43 AM
you could probably "get" away with using the brass but it would be a considerable safety hazard. Brass npt fittings in the 1/8" size are good for about 2900 PSI.

Stainless steel fittings of the same size are good for around 5500 PSI.

If it were me I usually err on the side of caution and go build things so they are safer than "spec" so they can take a little abuse, and I'd definetly go with the stainless steel fittings.

I deal with high pressure hydraulics in my line of work and you can never be to safe

Parker (http://www.parker.com/ICD/CAT/ENGLISH/4260.PDF) makes excellent fittings

Parker claims that the correct fitting in brass can go up to 4000 psi.

Parker part # 2-2 Female Hex Coupling 1/8" to 1/8" has these working pressures: Brass= 4000 stainless steel= 6400 and steel= 6800

I agree though. Better safe then sorry.

Thanks.