PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating an automag

wjr
05-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Some one in town has offered to powdercoat my gun for free. I'm going to get it powdercoated white.

Here's my setup:
-Nickel ULE body
-Chrome Y-grip
-Stripped and polished rail + VA
-black anodized bike grip

I have 2 questions:

1) What parts of the gun should be masked off? Wouldn't there be tolerance issues if the entire body and inside of the rail got powdercoated?

2) Will I need to strip the chrome and nickel parts? I'd assume I'd have to do it to the bike grip since anodized things don't conduct electricity, but I'm fine with that. But I'd think twice before I dropped my ULE body into a bucket of drano.

Is there anything else that I'm not thinking of that I need to tell the guy before I get it powdercoated?

hulk
05-10-2007, 10:05 PM
my dad is a gun smith and he deals with this all the time.
i just asked him about it he basicly said:

When you powder coat you need to have a high conductive metal. With no plastics because you bake the metal in an oven. So things will melt. You just have to see how the gun will take the powder coat before you bake it. It all depends what grade of nickel you have. And the chrome is ify. I asked him what would be the best finish these days. he said a poxy coat (Durra Coat is big right now) is best because it easier to apply you can be more creative with it and you don’t have to strip your gun down to take out o-rings etc. that’s my dads advice he does it for a living.

olinar
05-10-2007, 11:24 PM
the areas where rail and body meet must be masked off. idk about where the frame meets rail but that should probably be masked as well just in case. everything else is good. the trigger will be a tight fit afterwards but it should work fine.