PDA

View Full Version : Death of the mech?

matteusz
05-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Who besides the little custom guys is still doing much with a straight mech gun anymore? The big blowback peddlers seem to be going after EP or closed bolt designs. Even mech cocker seem to be slowing down (I don't follow these much anyone paying attention?). Outside of AGD who is really selling mech guns anymore? Anyone find one they really like?

Mat

aqua_scummm
05-15-2007, 11:31 PM
I've seen a huge surgance in automag interest and blazer interest, and a huge decline in cocker interest, personally.

That's mostly based off specops though

ObieJ30
05-15-2007, 11:50 PM
I bought a ans x-5 autococker when it came out, good gun. But when i saw how well my buddies automags performed i had to join the ao club. Now the cocker sits in my bag just in case somthing happens to my mag.

My other buddy switched from a wgp cocker to a rt ule.

but if you are looking for a good cocker i would go with ans they have really good customer service plus the x-5 is only like $240 now i got it when it was like $450. So its worth it for the money

maglover728
05-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Tippmann is still out there and running the rental and entry level mech market arn't they?

zeroack
05-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Lets not forget the pump crowd that's growing everyday.

I dream of a day when people get tired of throwing ropes of paint around with electro's and someone starts a mech only style tourney. I Think that would be awesome. Only bat's are in your hopper. Sound fun? Does to me.

Zero

Jimmykaboots
05-16-2007, 12:35 AM

I dream of a day when people get tired of throwing ropes of paint around with electro's and someone starts a mech only style tourney. I Think that would be awesome. Only bat's are in your hopper. Sound fun? Does to me.

Zero
YES! I dream of that day too! That would be awesome! Down with electros!

RogueFactor
05-16-2007, 12:39 AM

Zero

Nice. I had typed out almost the exact same thing...and figured whats the point---so I deleted it. Glad to see someone else posted it.

Build it, and they will come.

spike_ball999
05-16-2007, 12:40 AM

Zero

Sounds fun and sounds like a challenge. I like a challenge.

But in all seriousness you could make a mech league. I read in one of the paintball mags on how to get it up and going. I'm sure there's the online equivalant to it as well.

Anyway, enough of the tangent. As with anything, there's got to be a balance between mech and electros, even if the mech isn't as recognised as it should be. Probably just for the fact that many mech users are begginers or basic rec players.

Ninjeff
05-16-2007, 01:18 AM
I would jump all over a MECH only tounrney. I things tons of players would.

Lenny
05-16-2007, 01:56 AM

Zero
I COMPLETELY agree!

As much as I love my electros, and as much as I love my pumps, I prefer mech semi's. Just knowing that I am pulling the trigger, instead of some circuit board, just kinda makes me feel... good. Plus with most mechs, the entire gun is put in your hands. The way they operate and how well they operate (eCockers aside). eGuns only have, what, ROF, modes, and dwell? C'mon! That's not performance tuning! Give me a 'Cocker and I'll sweetspot it and time it for suction! Give me a 'Mag and I'll precisely tune the Lvl 10 and adjust to trigger pull to my liking!

matteusz
05-16-2007, 02:05 AM
Nice. I had typed out almost the exact same thing...and figured whats the point---so I deleted it. Glad to see someone else posted it.

Build it, and they will come.

Ah you all have seen right through to some of my hidden motives. Limited paint and mech only. Now that would be fun to watch/ play.

Yeah tippmann is still chugging along. Although most players seem to end up with an egrip pretty fast. Were it not for the flatline I doubt they could compete at all. Tippmann is just a woodsballers competition for Kingman in the entry level blowbacks in my mind though. It just seems to me like things are cooling off in the well built cheap simple marker market.

All the big makers seem to primarily be wanting to get a bigger slice of the airball marker market and nothing else. Sort of a self imploding market if you ask me. People don't stick with it long enough. The ones who do end up playing with a cocker/ mag in the woods (or so my small slice of buying/ selling/ playing tells me). I am wondering if electros aren't going to kill themselves off and if there is any way we can hurry them to their demise.

The rise of pump is a bit more myth than fact though it seems. Yeah there is more buzz but do you really see people trading in their electros for pump games at your local field? This to me is the answer to all of paintball's problems.

I am going to D-Day in a few weeks. I am curious to see what vendors will be/ have there and what people will be shooting.

spike_ball999
05-16-2007, 08:52 AM
I am going to D-Day in a few weeks. I am curious to see what vendors will be/ have there and what people will be shooting.

Mention getting an all mech tourney started! Lets start a mech revolution!

Dark Side
05-16-2007, 09:02 AM
The rise of pump is a bit more myth than fact though it seems. Yeah there is more buzz but do you really see people trading in their electros for pump games at your local field? This to me is the answer to all of paintball's problems.

Seen 4 or 5 at my field do this very thing. Might have helped that the reason was they were getting there butts handed to them during tourneys by a pump guy.

Tac-OneFun
05-16-2007, 09:10 AM
when you say "mech only" does that mean no RT/ULE? just normal trigger mech stuff?

Ken Majors
05-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I think they should do mech only tourneys in different "classes".

Pump - stock class (sort of like they already have) and then an "open" pump with pnuematic assist and all the other "bastardized" beast types.

Pure mech- no RTs...one pull per shot, no pull/release...just straight semi

Open Mech - RTs and Mech Full auto- fast as you can get the beast to cycle

Pistol class - any pistol shooting 12 grams only, limited ammunition

My 2 cents

The open mech class would be awesome to see, a lot of ingenuity and creativeness would shine here.

MisterBones25
05-16-2007, 11:24 AM
since i got my mag i have wished and dreamed for an all mech tourny, now that i see that there is some interest, even if it is only in the mag community, i brought it up on my local forum, pensacolapaintball.com, to guage the interest here, i would love to take the hyperframe off of my mag and play with a bunch of other mech'ers.

Rudz
05-16-2007, 11:28 AM

Zero

sppl? close enough..

d4m4don3
05-16-2007, 11:32 AM
sppl? close enough..
Electro's are allowed as long as they use a hopper no more advanced than a Revvy, nothing force fed.

zeroack
05-16-2007, 02:09 PM
I live in the middle of nowhere. Sidney Nebraska to be exact. I would love to help, setup, organize, sponsor, what ever a mech only event. However I can count the paintballers in my town on my hands and toes. So if anyone else is willing to take the time and money(it always takes some) to get this thing rolling I'd be willing to donate my time and help with what ever graphic/advertising needs. It's what I do all day long and it's something I can do from a distance. I get my one trip a year. That trip is to McLean, Il and Spring Pump Event. While I love my pumps...I love shooting my mag and cockers. If anyone needs help getting flyers, posters, etc done for mech only gatherings or tourneys...let me know. I'll help.

Zero

RogueFactor
05-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Ah you all have seen right through to some of my hidden motives. Limited paint and mech only. Now that would be fun to watch/ play.

We have the same motives. I didnt see through yours, just recognized them as Ive been working on something like this for ~3 years now.

Warwitch
05-16-2007, 02:18 PM
I have to say, Ive been considering adding a PPS Blazer to my collection for a while now. :shooting: Other than Mags thats the only other mech road I would go.

Zone Drifter
05-16-2007, 02:30 PM
With everyone looking for an electro that can make their ears gasum at the sound of a fast gun, i've kinda steared away from speedball. Yeah, fast guns are cool, but even i've found them to be much less fun than a good mechanical marker match with better aim. For that reason, i've been playing in the woods alot more because while running around inflated bunkers with paint going everywhere can be fun, i still get the same rush running around the woods with someone taking shots at me with a single trigger mechanical.

Lol, i remember when a double trigger was the only way to shoot faster. I miss that...

JOESPUD27
05-16-2007, 03:20 PM
I think they should do mech only tourneys in different "classes".

Pump - stock class (sort of like they already have) and then an "open" pump with pnuematic assist and all the other "bastardized" beast types.

Pure mech- no RTs...one pull per shot, no pull/release...just straight semi

Open Mech - RTs and Mech Full auto- fast as you can get the beast to cycle

Pistol class - any pistol shooting 12 grams only, limited ammunition

My 2 cents

The open mech class would be awesome to see, a lot of ingenuity and creativeness would shine here.
To be fair though, Most PA Pumps need Halos because they shoot so fast.

Jay

mag_lover05
05-16-2007, 03:21 PM

Zero

one of our fields has many mech only tournys. only batteries can be in the hopper. theres a couple RT mags, exc...

Thotograph
05-16-2007, 04:12 PM
now this is the kind of discussion i've been living for... lol i'm down for this 100% I really liked the idea of the different classes... another cool thing to do would be to have an event where you limit the guns on the field to one particular make in each game... like an all mech cocker/blazer class, an agd only class... could be cool. well if anyone is going through with organizing such an event let me know.

where to do it is a good question, maybe Wayne's World in Ocala Florida could be a good spot. I'd travel for such an event though so where ever should be cool but in the southeast would be nice. Atlanta Area might be good considering how it's such a massive air hub for the SE... let's try to throw this together for real. I can do my best to promote it locally here in Orlando... Wayne's World Ocala would be an awesome place to do it considering how large it is and it has such a great variety of fields/scenarios. keep me in the loop. peace.

wjr
05-16-2007, 05:02 PM

Zero

That would be cool until some arse brings out his pneumag.

matteusz
05-16-2007, 06:05 PM
I think the real value of "this" would be not in a one time one place thing but in a all over many times many places deal. I have been itching to get a tourney going. Maybe this is the angle I need to make it worth while. Limited paint, mech only and limited rate of fire. Nothing over 6-7 bps. Now to get the rest of my life settled so I have time. hmmmmm

MisterBones25
05-16-2007, 07:09 PM
now this is the kind of discussion i've been living for... lol i'm down for this 100% I really liked the idea of the different classes... another cool thing to do would be to have an event where you limit the guns on the field to one particular make in each game... like an all mech cocker/blazer class, an agd only class... could be cool. well if anyone is going through with organizing such an event let me know.

where to do it is a good question, maybe Wayne's World in Ocala Florida could be a good spot. I'd travel for such an event though so where ever should be cool but in the southeast would be nice. Atlanta Area might be good considering how it's such a massive air hub for the SE... let's try to throw this together for real. I can do my best to promote it locally here in Orlando... Wayne's World Ocala would be an awesome place to do it considering how large it is and it has such a great variety of fields/scenarios. keep me in the loop. peace.

im already doing my part to get one started in the pensacola area. if i can get it going i'd be happy to post up dates if others are interested. :cheers:

Lohman446
05-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Its funny that we are ok with electronics as long as they increase the mags ability. Why allow batteries in the hoppers? If we want to go mech, lets play mech - q-loaders or revvies.

Don Carnage
05-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Electro's are here to stay. Eventually though, they will hit their limit on speed and programability. Then the hype wont be 30 bps, eyes, and low pressure, but on individual cosmetics.

That's good. Back in the 90's an awesome gun was custom milled and unique. The past few years have been pretty rough on the machine shops.

However, there is a mechanical movement. I'm part of it. I renounced electronic triggers nd got into mags and mechanical cockers. I've met quite a lot of people in the same situation. However it will most often be the players who have been around for a while and decide to 'downgrade,' and not the new players who see the shiney lights and insane rates of fire.

I heard of a group around here that does single shot games. They don't allow hoppers and balls must be loaded one at a time.

Also, the day my wife nailed a guy toting a cyborg with her VM-68 is the day she always mentions when people rant how faster means better.

MisterBones25
05-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Its funny that we are ok with electronics as long as they increase the mags ability. Why allow batteries in the hoppers? If we want to go mech, lets play mech - q-loaders or revvies.

let us have our fun. its not like mags are going to have an unfair advantage, all of the other guns can use electro hoppers too. and dont say anything about runnaway or pnu-mags, because i will agree that those also should not be allowed in an all mech tourny.

Don Carnage
05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
That would be cool until some arse brings out his pneumag.

Or the 68 Super Marker (http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/3599/). :shooting: That thing was disgustinly fast. Does anyone know what happened to G-Force? Their website looks a little bare.

spike_ball999
05-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Couldn't we get an online pettion for something like this? Prove to the guys at Tippmann, Viewloader, AGD, CCI and WGP that there's a good intrest in this kind of tourney? I think it would be a great idea to do something like that.

As individuals or small groups in our communities, we can do good things, but as a whole, we can achive even more. Let's get this thing going!

MisterBones25
05-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Couldn't we get an online pettion for something like this? Prove to the guys at Tippmann, Viewloader, AGD, CCI and WGP that there's a good intrest in this kind of tourney? I think it would be a great idea to do something like that.

As individuals or small groups in our communities, we can do good things, but as a whole, we can achive even more. Let's get this thing going!

i dont think you need a petition, just go out to your local feild and see what kind of intrest there is, if there is any, talk to the feild owners, see if they will set up a small tournament with a low entry and see what kind of turn out you get.

Ratzo
05-17-2007, 02:10 AM
The local field I play at is cool with me running a tourny of what ever I like.
I have talked with the owner on a number of occations about doing pump and mech tournaments at his field.
He's rather tired of all the big mouth tourny kids in the area, he's spent alot of time setting up a local event then he doesn't get the registration needed so the event gets canceled.
So he's rather hands off with the tournament schene now. He used to be really into it years ago the whole team shot AutoMags an then progresed on with the Electro craze.
So ya if I would get off my butt and put some effort into it I could setup an event in the NiagaraFalls area.

But back on topic the majority of markers being sold around these parts are mechs, Tippmans mostly and what ever other Mil-Sim stuff he's got on the wall.

AirAssault
05-17-2007, 02:52 AM
Electro's are here to stay. Eventually though, they will hit their limit on speed and programability. Then the hype wont be 30 bps, eyes, and low pressure, but on individual cosmetics.

That's good. Back in the 90's an awesome gun was custom milled and unique. The past few years have been pretty rough on the machine shops.

However, there is a mechanical movement. I'm part of it. I renounced electronic triggers nd got into mags and mechanical cockers. I've met quite a lot of people in the same situation. However it will most often be the players who have been around for a while and decide to 'downgrade,' and not the new players who see the shiney lights and insane rates of fire.

I heard of a group around here that does single shot games. They don't allow hoppers and balls must be loaded one at a time.

Also, the day my wife nailed a guy toting a cyborg with her VM-68 is the day she always mentions when people rant how faster means better.

Lol, I still have my vm-68 magnum. I noticed they are starting to have parts for it again. I love that big, heavy, air hog.

Paintslinger99
05-20-2007, 06:53 AM
im glad that tippmann is still catering to the woodsball crowd. all the other manufacturers are gravitating towards speedball but tippmanns newest marker is a milsim woodsball beast.
more people need to make mech markers their all ive ever owned. the first electro i used was a wal-mart pirhana the 3rd time i played.

Coralis
05-20-2007, 09:56 AM
You would probably have better luck trying to set up a league that didnt allow force fed hoppers, it really doesnt matter how fast your gun shoots if your hopper is only capable of 10 bps

Ninjeff
05-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Think of all the old school-cool markers you would see at a tourney like this! Probably some stuff dusted off we havent seen for years.

mostpeople
05-20-2007, 02:33 PM
why not take the best of the automag and electro world and get an E-mag with X-mod?

hell you can outshoot any marker out there with an X-mod'd X-Valved E-mag..

and its still a mag :)

Lomarandil
05-20-2007, 03:36 PM
You would probably have better luck trying to set up a league that didnt allow force fed hoppers, it really doesnt matter how fast your gun shoots if your hopper is only capable of 10 bps

Once again.. SPPL :D

Lo

nathanjones008
05-21-2007, 09:52 AM
i think the electro are so big now is because they can be cheaper than mech guns. I bought my new rail for 325.00. my auto mag with x,lvalve, ult and intilli frame, i got all the parts one at a time for over 500.00. You can buy a new tippman for 120 , at the same price of a tippaman or a few bucks a little more you can get a used ion.( which is much better is speed and wieght.) To pimp out a recon or a tippaman it will cost some big bucks. i have a friend who has spent tons of money on his recon . WHith the money we sent he could have bought a rail or a mini with no problems. To make my point , from my personal story why put money into a nice mech when i can go electro for the same price if not cheaper? :) :dance:

matteusz
05-21-2007, 11:03 AM
i think the electro are so big now is because they can be cheaper than mech guns. I bought my new rail for 325.00. my auto mag with x,lvalve, ult and intilli frame, i got all the parts one at a time for over 500.00. You can buy a new tippman for 120 , at the same price of a tippaman or a few bucks a little more you can get a used ion.( which is much better is speed and wieght.) To pimp out a recon or a tippaman it will cost some big bucks. i have a friend who has spent tons of money on his recon . WHith the money we sent he could have bought a rail or a mini with no problems. To make my point , from my personal story why put money into a nice mech when i can go electro for the same price if not cheaper? :) :dance:

Because the electro will wear out lose value and break down. Oh and because I like to know it was me that got the guy and not my gun.

nathanjones008
05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Because the electro will wear out lose value and break down. Oh and because I like to know it was me that got the guy and not my gun.
Originally Posted by nathanjones008
You do have a good point in general mechs tend to be more reliable than electros. But there is still much skill needed to use a electro. Until recently i have had a mag classic for six years and i was able to taKe out people with angels, cockers, you name it. It it still mainly the skill not the gun. :)

paintballfiend
05-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by nathanjones008
You do have a good point in general mechs tend to be more reliable than electros. But there is still much skill needed to use a electro. Until recently i have had a mag classic for six years and i was able to taKe out people with angels, cockers, you name it. It it still mainly the skill not the gun. :)
I did get more eliminations with my e-spyder than with my phantom, but maybe that's because I suck with a pump. :p

nathanjones008
05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
I did get more eliminations with my e-spyder than with my phantom, but maybe that's because I suck with a pump. :p
LOL :dance: :) When you tag an angel with a pump how rewarding!!!

Lenny
05-21-2007, 03:09 PM
That's funny. I actually play BETTER with a pump!

Viva le Sniper II!!!
...And Sheridan P68!

Warwitch
05-21-2007, 03:23 PM
That's funny. I actually play BETTER with a pump!

Viva le Sniper II!!!
...And Sheridan P68!

true. sometimes you are so busy slinging paint strings that you stop being sneaky :ninja: I would rather put one good ball on somebodys back than light em up with 5 bonus balls to the face. It shows you have mentally defeated them and that stings enough :D