PDA

View Full Version : Deadlywind's Chord Body???

stonersr26
05-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know why Colin is unwilling to do anymore Chord bodies? Now that I have finally paid for my slug body I'm wanting to start planning on how to have it milled. I'm just curious as to why he won't mill any more though as I think they were some of the best looking bodies.

neppo1345
05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Does anyone know why Colin is unwilling to do anymore Chord bodies? Now that I have finally paid for my slug body I'm wanting to start planning on how to have it milled. I'm just curious as to why he won't mill any more though as I think they were some of the best looking bodies.

Why don't you just ask him?

GT
05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Let's hope this is just a rumor. A chord is the only reason I bought a slugg.

RogueFactor
05-18-2007, 12:22 PM

Its not a rumor:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2324181&postcount=67

But you knew this info before buying a slug, so it cant be the only reason:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2324208&postcount=69

Tassel Mask
05-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Thats what I call deductive reasoning...I'll bet he works for wholesale.

JOKE!

T.M.

ta2maki
05-18-2007, 08:25 PM

He stopped a long, long time ago. They weren't available when I got my dallara(when slugs were originally available, but AM/MM rails weren't)

stonersr26
05-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Why don't you just ask him?

Its been asked, he never really gave an answer. I know that some of the guys on here are a little closer with him and know him better. All I've ever done was buy his products :) . I just wish that I could get a glossy black Chord body with matching rail and eye covers to go on my project.

Temo Vryce
05-18-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't know if Collin has his milling done in house or if he has to out source. If he is out sourcing then the cost to have a single body milled once in a blue moon is not better than having to sit on X hundred bodies to have the cost low enough per body to justify the milling in the first place. Even if he does do the milling in house, it's not worth the setup time to mill just on body, unless the customer is willing to pay through the nose.

RogueFactor
05-18-2007, 10:07 PM
I just wish that I could get a glossy black Chord body with matching rail and eye covers to go on my project.

The Chord body never came with a rail. Ever. It was always just the body.

Colin has also never offered eye covers to go with his bodies. This was always done aftermarket by guys like luke, or CoolHand.

stonersr26
05-19-2007, 08:48 AM
The Chord body never came with a rail. Ever. It was always just the body.

Colin has also never offered eye covers to go with his bodies. This was always done aftermarket by guys like luke, or CoolHand.

I know that the Chord never came with a rail, but if Colin still did them I would talk to him about adding code for the rail and matching eye covers. I know he is willing to do eye covers because when I bought my first Karta body I was going to have him mill me eyes and covers then, but ended up not doing it.

Just so you know Rogue, this is not a thread to lament that I got the slug from you and found out that Colin won't do Chords. I knew that before, I was just curious as to why, as there has never been a clear answer given. I just love them and wish they were still available. Oh well, "Life's a full grown female dog with sharp teeth and taxes."

GT
05-19-2007, 08:56 AM
But you knew this info before buying a slug, so it cant be the only reason:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2324208&postcount=69

True but I actually wanted to hear it from the DW. Last time I was on thier website he still had the chord body up as an AGD product. All milling has since been removed. I have sent him a note a few times but have not heard back.

going_home
05-19-2007, 09:38 AM
True but I actually wanted to hear it from the DW. Last time I was on thier website he still had the chord body up as an AGD product. All milling has since been removed. I have sent him a note a few times but have not heard back.

Personally I have always thought the Chord V2 is the best looking of all of the Deadlywind bodies. Karta is 2nd and I just have never liked or wanted a Dallara body at all.

If Colin got enough requests to mill some Chord bodies so he could program his machine
once for multiple millings it would save him time and thus make it more profitable.

I like the V2 version that has the bottom front of the body going out to the end of the rail
like OEM Peteys MOTM winner :

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215171

Maybe if enough people want a Chord, Colin will do a run.
He is an AO member nickname nicad .

Or maybe he could get technical and explain why he cant, maybe someone else owns the
manufactoring rights to the body now ?
;)

GT
05-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Personally I have always thought the Chord V2 is the best looking of all of the Deadlywind bodies. Karta is 2nd and I just have never liked or wanted a Dallara body at all.

I would strongly agree. The chord takes the frame and pipe look of an automag and forms it into a much more pleasing organic look. To be honest it would have to be someone else to communicate and setup the details with Colin. My days are substantialy more hectic than they used to be. Promotion, 2nd grad program, might be teaching in the fall, baby on the way, golf game needs improving, and training for the HH100 in august. Too much stuff not enough paintball. :rofl:

I would love to just hang it on the wall. In fact my own personal order of the most beautiful guns:

1. chord
2. ripper angels
3. westwoods
4. SFL mag
5. Buzzards
6. empire timmy's
7. 1/2 mill DD vikings
8. all black phatoms with as much carbon as possible

going_home
05-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I would strongly agree. The chord takes the frame and pipe look of an automag and forms it into a much more pleasing organic look. To be honest it would have to be someone else to communicate and setup the details with Colin. My days are substantialy more hectic than they used to be. Promotion, 2nd grad program, might be teaching in the fall, baby on the way, golf game needs improving, and training for the HH100 in august. Too much stuff not enough paintball. :rofl:

I would love to just hang it on the wall. In fact my own personal order of the most beautiful guns:

1. chord
2. ripper angels
3. westwoods
4. SFL mag
5. Buzzards
6. empire timmy's
7. 1/2 mill DD vikings
8. all black phatoms with as much carbon as possible

You know he is in Houston dont you ?
I know its a big place but cant be too far from you.

Pneumagger
05-19-2007, 11:11 AM
colin uses a very customized sherline/grizzly mini mill IIRC - at least that what the pics of the Aedes being milled showed. So it's not like the full blown CNC where you push a button and out pops a body an hour later. There is a lot more hand work and tool changing involved - which only leads me to believe if he's not doing chords, it's because h wants to keep them rare or it's another level of difficulty he doesn't care to indulge in.

I'd be willing to bet one could get a chord V2 on only a 2 axis CNC with only 1 workpiece flip and minor brush up hand work afterwords. This is how I'm doing the external cosmetic milling on my project body.

RogueFactor
05-19-2007, 02:00 PM
I know that the Chord never came with a rail, but if Colin still did them I would talk to him about adding code for the rail and matching eye covers. I know he is willing to do eye covers because when I bought my first Karta body I was going to have him mill me eyes and covers then, but ended up not doing it.

Things change over time. Im sure what Colin used to do and have time for has changed too.

Just so you know Rogue, this is not a thread to lament that I got the slug from you and found out that Colin won't do Chords.

Didnt think you were. I just break it down to brass tacks nowadays. That way the people that dont even have a Slug start complaining about something they arent even a part of in the first place. This place can turn into a "Mob mentality" right quick.

GT
05-19-2007, 03:06 PM
This place can turn into a "Mob mentality" right quick.

Is that the same mob mentality that got the sluggs ordered in the first place ;)?

RogueFactor
05-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Is that the same mob mentality that got the sluggs ordered in the first place ;)?

No, actually it wasnt.

There are a handful of factors that played into the sluggs being done. The biggest of which was that I fronted the production with less than half the required pre-orders to do them. One person doesnt = Mob mentality.

Had we counted on the mob, they would never have materialized.

GT
05-19-2007, 03:58 PM
No, actually it wasnt.

There are a handful of factors that played into the sluggs being done. The biggest of which was that I fronted the production with less than half the required pre-orders to do them. One person doesnt = Mob mentality.

Had we counted on the mob, they would never have materialized.

You used to be a lot more fun. :cry:

KC
08-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Anyone ever get word on why they are not being made? Looks like there is alot of interest in them atm. I wonder how many cries from the masses it would take to get a few slugs on the mill...?

LinearGoose
08-24-2007, 07:58 PM
CAD file got destroyed so no more.

Papa_Smurf
08-24-2007, 08:13 PM
digitizer...

Warwitch
08-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Now that I have one I hope they never go to production! :argh:

But why do something thats been done already. The demand is there for something new and there is no good reason that someone cant come up with something as nice as the Chord.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5415/chord3af8.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6127/chord1ey5.jpg

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3368/chord2dj2.jpg

Then again, maybe not. :p

Empyreal Rogue
08-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Every time I read someone mentioning the pressing desire for new and unique bodies/rails/frames for Automags I really feel like going out and buying a new 3D CAD program for my computer. And I would do it in a heartbeat if I had a machinist I could readily turn to for creation purposes.

Just a pipe dream, I guess...

RogueFactor
08-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Every time I read someone mentioning the pressing desire for new and unique bodies/rails/frames for Automags I really feel like going out and buying a new 3D CAD program for my computer. And I would do it in a heartbeat if I had a machinist I could readily turn to for creation purposes.

You do the CAD, and I will do the rest. ;)

Warwitch
08-25-2007, 05:47 PM

Check your pm's :ninja:

trevorjk
08-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Check your pm's :ninja:

man i wish i had Photoshop CS3 so that i could come up with ideas so people could then interpret them into a cad program :ninja: :p

Thanna
08-25-2007, 07:23 PM
What type of CAD files do you use Rogue?

p.s. sorry, I meant RogueFactor. :p

RogueFactor
08-25-2007, 07:35 PM
What type of CAD files do you use Rogue?

Rogue = Me or Empyreal?

Thanna
08-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Sorry, What I meant to ask what types of CAD files you use, RogueFactor :p :D

ProblemKinder
08-26-2007, 01:33 AM
hrmm that chord does look really nice. i'm just glad he's still doing my karta so I can have something other than a normal old run of the cnc mill ULE body. which looks good don't get me wrong. it's just....common.

maybe colin should sell his CAD for the chord to someone with a mill. sell it for like...a million dollars? :ninja:

mostpeople
08-26-2007, 02:08 AM
why sell it, when he controls the only source of supply for them. And if he so chose, could make them again for a nice profit?

RogueFactor
08-26-2007, 02:12 AM
Sorry, What I meant to ask what types of CAD files you use, RogueFactor :p :D

SolidWorks files convert well. Pro-E is a bit overkill, but work too.