PDA

View Full Version : trade mag for cocker?

Pneumagger
05-21-2007, 08:25 AM
So I was at the shop yesterday and saw a little Trilogy AC on the wall. Looks nice and plain and really intrigued me. I'm thinking about picking one up as a mech marker, but I cant afford to just buy one out-right at the moment. But I was thinking of trading my classic for some sort of cocker (don't worry, I have another ULE Mag).

I know the trilogies are "entry level", but how would it stack up to the mag I would be trading. THIS IS THE CLASSIC MAG (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/jrm33/The%20Arsenal/a98db298.jpg) - it shoots CO2 well, it's very consistent, great condition, and like most mags has never given me grief. I'm a certified Cocker Newb - so would this be a good move - or could i score a better than trilogy in trade?

I'm alsokind of scared, cause I'm a tinkerer - and owning a cocker might wreck me :rolleyes:

drg
05-21-2007, 08:41 AM
So I was at the shop yesterday and saw a little Trilogy AC on the wall. Looks nice and plain and really intrigued me. I'm thinking about picking one up as a mech marker, but I cant afford to just buy one out-right at the moment. But I was thinking of trading my classic for some sort of cocker (don't worry, I have another ULE Mag).

I know the trilogies are "entry level", but how would it stack up to the mag I would be trading. THIS IS THE CLASSIC MAG (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/jrm33/The%20Arsenal/a98db298.jpg) - it shoots CO2 well, it's very consistent, great condition, and like most mags has never given me grief. I'm a certified Cocker Newb - so would this be a good move - or could i score a better than trilogy in trade?

I'm alsokind of scared, cause I'm a tinkerer - and owning a cocker might wreck me :rolleyes:

I'd recommend staying away from a Trilogy. Maybe sell the classic and get something like a Superbolt. Then slowly replace the pneumatics, etc. You can't fight the sickness.

sdawg
05-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Trilogies are not really meant to be tinkered with. For example, the three-way is built into the body. Trilogies are mass-produced, off the shelf markers meant to compete with spyders and other stacked-tube blowbacks that can be found at major retailers and sporting-goods stores.

93civiccpe
05-21-2007, 09:06 AM
mags shoot faster but cockers are more accurate... :rolleyes:

Stay away from the trilogies would be my best advice. Just pick up any vert feed 02 or newer cocker and go from there.. =)

Big Boy
05-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Find a older cheap cocker, stay away from trilogies. As said, you can't really tinker with them. If you absolutely must have one though, they can be had used for like $40...

turbo chicken
05-21-2007, 10:39 AM
older cocker FTW!!!!!

pre 99' ...

Pneumagger
05-21-2007, 10:44 AM
I Love the look of the cloth shrouds and the old school Bob Long ACs, but the right feed on those kills me.

PumpMag
05-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Get an old used cocker then convert it to a pump.

Join the dark side! :headbang:

rawbutter
05-21-2007, 12:06 PM
mags shoot faster but cockers are more accurate... :rolleyes:

Um... The barrel/paint match is more important than the gun. I have a Trilogy Pro (with a J&J ceramic) and a classic mag (with a boomstick). The mag is more accurate.

Like the others said, you CAN'T mess with Trilogy autocockers... which is both good and bad. You can't screw them up, and they're timed very well... but you can't get them tricked out just right.

I only bought my Trilogy because I got an awesome deal ($80 with accessories), and I keep it as a spare or extra gun for friends. But when given the choice, I always play with my mag.

Personally, I'd say your trading down with your classic mag, but if you already have a ULE and want something different.... well. You could probably get an older autococker for the old mag. Overtime, you can tinker and customize all you want. With a Trilogy, what you see if what you get.

skife
05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
build me a pnuframe and i'll tade you my cocker?
pm me.

rawbutter
05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
^^^ Now that's a deal!

behemoth
05-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Joe, mechie cocker market = SUCK.

If you want one, dont plan on getting rid of it (unless you buy a pump kit to go on it, and peddle it off that way)

You can find some cockers, that 5yrs ago were SWEET for like 100 bucks :P

sdawg
05-21-2007, 02:03 PM

BTW - sweet = $1000+ in some cases. When did the cocker market fall out so badly?

Lenny
05-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Joe, mechie cocker market = SUCK.

If you want one, dont plan on getting rid of it (unless you buy a pump kit to go on it, and peddle it off that way)

QFT.

But to answer your question, Trillies really aren't that bad. You remember mine, right? The only thing I could complain about was the LPR. It had to be taken off to adjust (PITA!) and was set too high stock. What I did was I ran an aftermarket LPR off of a guage slot on a CP reg and plugged the old LPR slot with a Spyder volumizer (really). Worked pretty good semi-auto.

...But I will be honest, I liked it much better as a pump. :p (Even though the pump stroke was more Phantom-like)

P.S. - Joe, when can I have my 'Mag back? I've been feelin' the urge to mow some faces. :p

ta2maki
05-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Hard to believe you cant afford a trilogy. I picked a used trilogy sport about a year ago for $60 and it came with a 20oz co2 tank off of ebay. Heck, I've yet to see a complete classic mag go for that little.

cyberave68
05-22-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm also kind of scared, cause I'm a tinkerer - and owning a cocker might wreck me :rolleyes:
Yea your in trouble if you get a cocker. :p I got one in trade thinking i would have both my old school guns for loaners. Well it WAS stock when i got it. Now new barrel to match the gun, all new pneus,(chome 3-way, chrome ram, red ANS lpr) smaller font block and back block, Learned how to time it properly, and thinking about halfblocking it now??? It was a great trade cause the gun shoot flawlessly but i paid more for all the extra parts then i did for the actual trade. :confused: Now i have a 2002 and a 2004 and like them almost as much as my mag for tinkering.

Good luck on the gun search and get an older model cocker...

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m176/Cyberave68/DSC01124.jpg

93civiccpe
05-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Um... The barrel/paint match is more important than the gun. I have a Trilogy Pro (with a J&J ceramic) and a classic mag (with a boomstick). The mag is more accurate.

Like the others said, you CAN'T mess with Trilogy autocockers... which is both good and bad. You can't screw them up, and they're timed very well... but you can't get them tricked out just right.

I only bought my Trilogy because I got an awesome deal ($80 with accessories), and I keep it as a spare or extra gun for friends. But when given the choice, I always play with my mag.

Personally, I'd say your trading down with your classic mag, but if you already have a ULE and want something different.... well. You could probably get an older autococker for the old mag. Overtime, you can tinker and customize all you want. With a Trilogy, what you see if what you get.

Wow.. you clearly missed the obvious little smiley rolling his eyes. I guess you weren't around in the days when it was all about the pump markers, and finally two semi-auto markers came out... the automag and the autococker. Needless to say, for many years there were so many stupid arguements about which was the better marker, and the most common arguements were that mags shot faster and that autocockers were more accurate. At the time, the arguement was somewhat true. Before the 3 oring 3-way and hinge frame / slider frame for the autococker, you could fire a slight bit faster with the mag. And due to the fact that the autococker was closed bolt, and the ball was pushed past the detents at rest, they were the first group to use barrel-to-paint matching. At the time it wasn't because of accuracy, it was because the paintballs would roll out the barrels if they didn't. But as we all know now, paint to barrel match is what gives us accuracy, and that's why they seemed more accurate. As we stand today, both markers can be made to shoot extremely fast and accurate. My comment was meant as sarcasm, but I figured I'd throw out a history lesson since you apparently missed the little smiley rolling his eyes.

Anyways, I live in the Richmond, Virginia area and we should get together and play sometime. (I sold my last cocker but I have a mech mag that is going to stay with me forever... )

Don Carnage
05-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Avoud the Trilogy. However you can score a brand spankin new ANS GX5 for $265 these days. I remember longing for one back when they were over $500, waaaaaay back in 2005.

Then a week later cockers fell out of fasion. They came off the store walls and the employees acted like they's never heard of an autococker before. It felt like '1984' when the Though Police would erase you.

If you want a mech cocker with some of the best aftermarket parts already loaded on it...get it.

Empyreal Rogue
05-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Anyways, I live in the Richmond, Virginia area and we should get together and play sometime.

Hey, me too (Sorta). We should get a small local meet some weekend. I'm just itching for a day of play.

Pneumagger
05-22-2007, 10:52 AM
QFT.

But to answer your question, Trillies really aren't that bad. You remember mine, right? The only thing I could complain about was the LPR. It had to be taken off to adjust (PITA!) and was set too high stock. What I did was I ran an aftermarket LPR off of a guage slot on a CP reg and plugged the old LPR slot with a Spyder volumizer (really). Worked pretty good semi-auto.

...But I will be honest, I liked it much better as a pump. :p (Even though the pump stroke was more Phantom-like)

P.S. - Joe, when can I have my 'Mag back? I've been feelin' the urge to mow some faces. :p

Lenny, get me on AIM- PM me - call me - drive by - something!!! It's been done like almost forever and just needs some fittings and a vert ASA, but right now I have a new MAC noid on the way for it :) We really need to mow ome faces.

mag_lover05
05-22-2007, 12:33 PM
a 2000 vert feed would suit you well...and honestly, cockers start giving people grief when they up the pneu's. stock cocker pneus and OR A.N.S. pneu's are the way to go...i had a full shocktech front block and i sold it and bought some stock ones cuz they were a pain.

god i swear i could hit 10+ bps on that slider. :shooting:

rawbutter
05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Wow.. you clearly missed the obvious little smiley rolling his eyes... My comment was meant as sarcasm, but I figured I'd throw out a history lesson since you apparently missed the little smiley rolling his eyes.

Anyways, I live in the Richmond, Virginia area and we should get together and play sometime. (I sold my last cocker but I have a mech mag that is going to stay with me forever... )

I know the history, but yes... I DID miss the sarcasm and mistook you for a rookie. I feel dumb. :tard:

As for playing together, I'm not sure where you play, but I get together with 20-30 guys and play recball near Fredericksburg about once a month. You'll welcome to come along, especially if you bring that mag. I'll try to remember to send you a PM next time we play.

big poppa fluff
10-10-2007, 08:50 PM
PMed you, was told you where the guy who could help me :clap:

Mechanic79
10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
I know the trilogies are "entry level"...
...I'm alsokind of scared, cause I'm a tinkerer - and owning a cocker might wreck me :rolleyes:
You should change your name to Pneuby... j/k

I'm a long time Automag owner and I just picked up my first autococker a couple months ago. System X 2.0 Vengeance from ebay for 140.00 shipped.

Good luck with your quest. If I were you, I would pick up a Chipley or warped sportz.

Rudz
10-10-2007, 09:03 PM
i kinda got a lightning sniper of ebay, and i dont think its gonna stay as a cheapo loaner, i think im addicted, damnit... :rofl:

JAM
10-11-2007, 10:18 AM
If you really want a trilogy/cheap cocker to play with, PBGear has one on sale on the front page for $58!
That said, you should be able to get a good deal on a good used cocker. That will allow you to modify/tinker with all the goodies. My favorites were the Works cockers and then the Chipleys.

Electros and spool valves killed the cockers/ cocker market.

JOESPUD27
10-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Get an old used cocker then convert it to a pump.

Join the dark side! :headbang:
Word.

Trilogies make good, cheap, pumps. If you want to keep it mech, get a "real" cocker, ala a Prostock, ect.

Jay

Pneumagger
10-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Man, forgot about this old thread. Anyways, I staved off the cocker bug long enough to not need one - and have a big project that is consuming all my time. I on't even have to do pneumatic conversions at least until december.

turbo chicken
10-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I Love the look of the cloth shrouds and the old school Bob Long ACs, but the right feed on those kills me.

i forgot about it too ... i ended up getting one myself ... it's a pump now ... and just happens to be a pre 99 vert feel Bob Long :D

linky to my cocker turned pump (http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n315/turbo_chicken/DSCF2314.jpg)

but it will come up eventually ... i put if off for 2 years ...

What's your new project?

custar
10-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Word.

Trilogies make good, cheap, pumps. If you want to keep it mech, get a "real" cocker, ala a Prostock, ect.

Jay

Or a Blazer.

custar

NoLifeLeft
10-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I vote for an older of the "sweet" cockers... I own 3 2K2 Black Magics for that reason. One CCM pumped, one mech, one E2'd with Karni pnues. I loves'em.

The last one I got had a Dye hinge frame on it. I got the gun for $150, that frame used to cost more than that alone. :headbang:

Great time to be an AC tinkerer. :dance:

dstud2000
10-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I'll send you a pm pneumagger ;)

behemoth
10-13-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm assuming none of you can read?

This thread is so old, some nub ressurected it, Pneumagger said it was old, and that he didnt want a cocker anymore, let alone have time for one, and everyone else chimes in with their .02....

Sheesh.