PDA

View Full Version : A very tiny problem:

Empyreal Rogue
05-21-2007, 10:01 PM
A few weeks ago I bought a new Splinter Pro from TMS. I was so excited when I opened the box and even more excited to put it into my Chimera frame. But that's where the problem started...

The trigger pin was a ***** to get out. No matter what I did, I couldn't 'safely' get the pin out. In the end I had to yank it out with a pair of plyers and a vice grip. One end of the pin was mangled to hell, but the other end was completely in tact so it still did the job.

Then I ran into another problem. The stop was in a bad position. It actually lined up perfectly with the rod that activates the switch for my pneumatics; so I had to re drill and re tap the trigger. No big deal, I've done this to dozens of triggers. I drill and tap just fine, everything fits. Then I go to look for my mangled trigger pin... and it's gone. Somewhere between my workshop and room it dropped. I looked and looked, but no luck at all.

I checked a few websites (TMS, Tuna, AGD) and can't find anyone that sells one. So, how do I fix this issue? I probably could make a new one from some metal parts I have in the workshop. Though, I'd honestly rather get a new one just to be on the safe side.

Empyreal Rogue
05-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Double posting ftw!

I overlooked this on the AGD site:

http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=463&categoryID=16

But there are no pictures or measurements. I have an Intelliframe I'm trying to sell and thought of maybe using that pin, but it looked like the I-Frame's pin is too girthy for the Chimera frame.

G Squat
05-21-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm pretty sure they're the same.

Paintchucker
05-21-2007, 10:23 PM
At least on an emag, The pins are made to come out one way. Not sure about the other frames...

You put the right side of the gun up
and tap the pin down and out the left side
(being careful not to catch the auto/manual flipper).

shorty24
05-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Chimera is pretty much an exact internal match to I-frame specs. The trigger pins are the same, as G Squat said.

Empyreal Rogue
05-21-2007, 10:36 PM
So the trigger pin on the AGD store will work?

Seems silly to place an order for a 1 dollar part. But it's better than not being able to fire my marker at all.

Pneumagger
05-21-2007, 11:50 PM
same part, should fit both. IIRC, the chimera uses the Iframe's specifications for the trigger slots, saftey, and mounts. If worse comes to worse, just use a 1/8" rod cut to length and a dab of blue locktite on the edge. Sorry bout the misalignment there. I noticed too (while doing a few conversions) that the new viperblade pro's have a higher set screw.
That gun still mowin faces? :)

Empyreal Rogue
05-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Well I've been doing a lot of little changes to it here and there. New trigger, swapped out the q-loader hoses and elbows for some warp hose and warp adapters. Also swapped out the rail for my old Omega Rail.

I was skeptical about whether or not it would even fire with a classic sear. But the funny thing is, it fires BETTER now than it did with the RT sear. No more chuffing, no more bolt sticking, no double firing. And the pull is still incredibly light.

maniacmechanic
05-28-2007, 05:55 PM
ER as the Q loader guru a ? what did you use to set up the warp hose on to the q-loader socket , i've messed with some different things and still haven't found a set up I like all that well

Tunaman
05-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Rogue puts his trigger pins in backwards. This info might help next time... ;)

Empyreal Rogue
05-29-2007, 09:12 AM

That is actually very, very helpful. So the end that's grooved/starred goes on the right side instead of the left? Guess that explains why it was so hard to push out.

I'm hoping my new tigger pin arrives today. I bought it the night I posted this.

Badmovies.org
05-29-2007, 10:04 AM

I think that Tuna was being facetious. When I changed the trigger pin out for my marker, it worked the same. Also, I believe that Rogue always follows AGD specs to keep things simple for owners?

If I had to guess, what happened was not having the right tools or method when changing the trigger. A lot of people do no small amount of damage when changing out their trigger. I detailed changing mine and what I did in this Chronicles post:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214340

robnix
05-29-2007, 10:35 AM
I think that Tuna was being facetious. When I changed the trigger pin out for my marker, it worked the same. Also, I believe that Rogue always follows AGD specs to keep things simple for owners?

If I had to guess, what happened was not having the right tools or method when changing the trigger. A lot of people do no small amount of damage when changing out their trigger. I detailed changing mine and what I did in this Chronicles post:

The trigger pin on the Chimera I bought was in opposite the way that AGD puts them in as well, which would make it, as Tuna said, backwards.

RogueFactor
05-29-2007, 01:41 PM

You are correct, the Chimera is made to AGD specs to keep things simple.

What Tuna doesnt realize is that the trigger pin on Intelliframes used to come from AGD on the opposite side it does now. Back when the Intelliframe didnt have the hump in the trigger guard, and the first few batches when they did. Maybe a different tech that did things differently?..I dont know.The side the trigger pin is inserted from is not an "AGD spec". I wish it were. There are some things from AGD that have no rhyme or reason. The many E-mags I had through here years ago all had the trigger pin inserted from the same side as I do my Chimeras, ULF's, and any non-stock AGD frame(colored triggers).

So "backwards" isnt quite accurate. To put one in backwards would mean you insert the knurled end first.

The pins are inserted from the opposite side that AGD does it now. Ive been doing it the same way since the very first Chimera. It would have only complicated things if I changed mid-way, so I stuck with the way it was originally.

And yes, having the right tools makes all the difference in the world. ;)

Empyreal Rogue
05-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Well, the way I pushed the trigger out was very typical. Used a nail with flattened tip and a hammer. But when it got about halfway the damn thing just wouldn't budge anymore. No matter how hard I hit it. So I had to pull it out. I hated doing it that way, but I had no other choice. Hopefully this new pin will slide in a little better.

RogueFactor
05-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Well, the way I pushed the trigger out was very typical. Used a nail with flattened tip and a hammer. But when it got about halfway the damn thing just wouldn't budge anymore. No matter how hard I hit it. So I had to pull it out. I hated doing it that way, but I had no other choice. Hopefully this new pin will slide in a little better.

AGD presses them in, with an Arbor Press. I also use an Arbor Press.

The punch method works, its just not the preferred or easiest method. Most use an actual punch, using a nail has varying results.

Badmovies.org
05-29-2007, 03:11 PM
You are correct, the Chimera is made to AGD specs to keep things simple.

The pins are inserted from the opposite side that AGD does it now. Ive been doing it the same way since the very first Chimera. It would have only complicated things if I changed mid-way, so I stuck with the way it was originally.

Ah, so the trick is that the AGD spec changed. Since I haven't looked (and can't right now). Is there an easy way to tell which direction a pin should be punched out when changing the trigger?

RogueFactor
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Ah, so the trick is that the AGD spec changed. Since I haven't looked (and can't right now). Is there an easy way to tell which direction a pin should be punched out when changing the trigger?

No.

--->

...The side the trigger pin is inserted from is not an "AGD spec"...

The side the pivot pin is inserted from is NOT an AGD spec. Every AGD frame has a CAD which calls out specs. The pivot pin is not on there. It can be inserted from either side. As AGD has done, from both sides.