PDA

View Full Version : Hyperframe Anodizing

robnix
05-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Anyone know offhand what type of aluminum a hyperframe is made of?

angrysasquatch
05-24-2007, 03:51 PM
I would assume either 6061 T6 or a 7000 series aluminum, 6061 having the best strength:weight ratio and 7000's having the best mixture of helpful properties, There's not too much stuff made of other alloys. Sorry this isn't much help, maybe try to dig up some old advertisements, some of the time they mention it, especially because that was around the time that aluminum was becoming feasible for regular goods.

robnix
05-24-2007, 04:21 PM
I would assume either 6061 T6 or a 7000 series aluminum, 6061 having the best strength:weight ratio and 7000's having the best mixture of helpful properties, There's not too much stuff made of other alloys. Sorry this isn't much help, maybe try to dig up some old advertisements, some of the time they mention it, especially because that was around the time that aluminum was becoming feasible for regular goods.

NP, I emailed Dennis over at Centerflag as well, who will hopefully repsond after their move.

Dewok82
05-24-2007, 07:34 PM
I can't answer your original question, but I did have a Hyperframe anodized by Gruntbull. It came out nicely, but the writing (Centerflag, Mode Set, Mode, etc) is still somewhat visible. You can only see it from close up and it doesn't really bother me. I would rather have the writing visible than the tolerances be thrown off by excess stripping.

Best of luck with whatever you're up to!

robnix
05-24-2007, 09:29 PM
I can't answer your original question, but I did have a Hyperframe anodized by Gruntbull. It came out nicely, but the writing (Centerflag, Mode Set, Mode, etc) is still somewhat visible. You can only see it from close up and it doesn't really bother me. I would rather have the writing visible than the tolerances be thrown off by excess stripping.

Best of luck with whatever you're up to!

Thanks, that's good to hear!

Chaos_Theory!
05-24-2007, 10:58 PM
As far as the laser engraving goes on them the anodizer should remove it when they prep the part. However, i know a number of anodizers just strip and anodize over everything (they prep all the parts but dont get id of the laser engraving all the way). If they dont do it then id ask to have ti done unless you dont mind being able to slightly see the old laser engraving. The tolerances wouldnt be thrown off on the whole part, just that area would need extra attention.