PDA

View Full Version : TVs - Going from rear proj to LCD

SCpoloRicker
05-22-2007, 03:00 PM
hAO, (now in FC, thanks for those who pointed out my error :) )

I'm starting to plan out an updated home theater setup, and I wanted to throw out what I'm thinking for some opinions and hopefully some helpful advice.

Room: Small. Half of a studio, I'm thinking its roughly 6' x 10'. One wall will be used for seating, window and bookshelves can't take anything else.

Current setup: 43" rear projection, 28" deep. Component video for DVD, RCA for TV, Xbox. Digital audio for DVD ready, only two tower speakers. TV is where I want to have seating with the new setup, along the far wall.

Goal: 36"ish LCD. HDMI input for X360 and DVD. Digital audio with addt'l center speaker an two rear surrounds.

Any good resources on finding cheap LCD sets? Any input on optimal screen size given we're working with a small space? Thoughts on 1080i vs 1080p?

Here's to A/V spending! Budget is probably fairly large, but I'm not usually the type who has to have the absolute cutting edge. Price is a factor.

BobTheCow
05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Whatever you end up doing, buy your cables from www.monoprice.com . Ridiculously cheap compared to the insane markup you'll find at any brick 'n mortar store.

AirAssault
05-23-2007, 12:26 AM
There are a lot of good choices out there. Costco has many options in both LCD and plasma. Have you thought about LCD projection? Very nice picture but less $$$. Good luck.

FooTemps
05-23-2007, 05:34 PM
If you are going DLP, make sure you don't get the whole color wheel problem with anyone who will potentially view the TV.

As for 1080p LCD TVs, The westinghouse LVM-37w3 is a 37" LCD that is pretty popular though it just recently got discontinued. Some online stores might still carry it, just look for a store that has some sort of shipping/damage warranty. They usually go between 1099 and 1299 price wise.

As for 1080i vs 1080p, 1080p all the way.

And for the A in A/V, I suggest onix x-series speakers. They're ridiculously good for the price. www.av123.com is where you can purchase them. You could also check out sites like www.audiogon.com for some good deals on used stuff if you're not too picky.