PDA

View Full Version : I Want Shartley to Strut His Stuff!!

AGD
01-06-2002, 11:08 PM
Sam,

As one of AO's resident graphics artists you never get to enter the contests because you're running them (thanks a ton for that). Myself and I'm sure the rest of AO, would like to see you go crazy on a bunch of Extreme designs and post them up here. If one gets a big thumbs up from the masses I'll try and talk John and Manike into making it!

How about it AO do we want to see Shartley go nuts!!??

AGD

M-a-s-sDriver
01-06-2002, 11:24 PM
No, I do not want to see Shartley's Nu.....
Ohhh, see him GO NUTS!!!
You bet I would. Have at it!
Brent Jackson, PFB.

DYE-BaLLeR
01-06-2002, 11:26 PM
i wanna see some more HOT OFF THE MILL EXTREEM EMAGS!!!! cmon shartly lets see it!

FooTemps
01-06-2002, 11:28 PM
Use your creativity! Make one that looks good!

deded
01-07-2002, 12:24 AM
Is this open to other (though not as talented) graphic artists too?

It would be like the fantasE-mag contest, but it would be more like a brain storm session instead of a competition!

edweird
01-07-2002, 12:29 AM
Wow!!! im impressed I guess that this is a sign to all of us who aspire to produce really cool looking Sig Pics that there is great honors ahead.

Shartley: happy designing and we await your new art with great anticipation.

Thanks AGD for giving one of us AO'ers a shot at this

P.S. I guess this is a bad time to try to ask for a shartley sig pic. LOL ~bite tounge~

Cha0tic
01-07-2002, 12:45 AM
Tom, what do you think about Dave's milling idea a few threads below this one? you haven't really commented on it.

zads27
01-07-2002, 01:35 AM
*chanting*
SHARTLEY
SHARTLEY
SHARTLEY

AGD
01-07-2002, 02:11 AM
I loved Daves pic, but I don't count I don't have to buy one!

AGD

manike
01-07-2002, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by deded
Is this open to other (though not as talented) graphic artists too?

Absolutely! The actual visual imagery is nowhere near as important as the idea and practicality behind it.

*/EDIT* after Shartley's PM
But maybe it would be better if you added your ideas and images to another thread (start your own or better yet add it to the one I started please), Shartley doesn't want people crowding 'his' thread where Tom asked for 'his' ideas :rolleyes:
*/END EDIT*

Sometimes designers get carried away making something look flashy and visual when that is not important but instead detracts from the actual design. We are not looking for flashy visual images but flashy design styles. Those are two very different things.

Dave's drawing of his idea is fantastic and a great style, but a simple line drawing would be just as useful if it shows such originality and potential. I'll also organise some images which you guys can work over in paint or any other package. :)

manike

ThePatriot
01-07-2002, 06:21 AM
Go shartley, we need a new design here...i wasnt really a huge fan of the fantas E mags anyway. I want something i would buy, and then i want 18 million versions of it, we can be just like cockers

manike
01-07-2002, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by ThePatriot
then i want 18 million versions of it, we can be just like cockers

LMAO, that's exactly what I was thinking lieing in bed last night :)

manike

shartley
01-07-2002, 08:30 AM
Tom,
You may want to e-mail (or call) me on this one. ;)

Oh, and if you had sent e-mail to my personal account in the last few weeks…. I never got them (goes for anyone else as well). To say it had some problems would be putting it lightly. I have changed the e-mail here on AO to reflect my Business Account (which I think you already have anyway) so that should not be an issue any more. Just don’t send to mrhartley@mediaone.net… I will not get it. LOL

Thanks.

Note to all: I think some are getting the wrong idea on this thread. Anyone can STILL contribute to the other “milling” threads, and have been doing so. This is something APART from that work. Or at least that is how I took it.

sajohnston
01-07-2002, 08:50 AM
I was under the impression SHARTLEY went nuts on a regular basis ;) . I would like to see one where FORM truly follows FUNCTION. The only milling that gets my attention is that which makes it lighter.

manike
01-07-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by sajohnston
I was under the impression SHARTLEY went nuts on a regular basis ;) . I would like to see one where FORM truly follows FUNCTION. The only milling that gets my attention is that which makes it lighter.

I'm intending to do this as a 'PRO Feather' version. It will not be very pretty but it will be light.

manike

shartley
01-07-2002, 10:34 AM
Manike

*/EDIT* after Shartley's PM
But maybe it would be better if you added your ideas and images to another thread (start your own or better yet add it to the one I started please), Shartley doesn't want people crowding 'his' thread where Tom asked for 'his ' ideas :rolleyes:
*/END EDIT*

To say that was uncalled for is putting it mildly. Also it gives a vastly inaccurate reflection of how I feel, or the PM I sent you. It has nothing to do with “my” thread, but what I thought Tom had intended.

For the record.. THIS is all I sent in the PM:
In the Thread where Tom wanted me to go wild.. I think he was NOT intending that to be open to other "talented" people (as you state it is). We already have threads for that. I think Tom wanted to do something for me personally. You may want to check it out before opening it up to the masses... since that is not how I read his post at all.

You want to play your games with “intentions” do so someplace else please. The open to all posts have already been happening in the OTHER Threads. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn’t this thread addressed to me, and about me specifically? You may not like that, but tough cookies Manike.

And I did not even say this thread was warranted or not, but TOM wrote and posted it, NOT me. Nor did I prompt it in any way. I don’t think I am wrong in pointing out that your telling folks to jump in on this thread is a bit much since (even as YOU put it) you already were doing that in YOUR threads.

Your edit was ONLY to cause problems, not rectify or clear up an issue, or you would not have added the last part to it, which is not quite accurate to say the least. I suggest you stop this.

manike
01-07-2002, 10:49 AM
Shartley my original reply wasn't trying to get people to jump on this thread it was to get them to feel they too could have a go at being nuts and designing a milling pattern. I don't care where they post it. I just want them to feel welcome to do so. I didn't want them to feel unwelcome like they were with had drawn images in the Fantasy E-mag thread.

Get off your high horse. Your attitude stinks of 'me me me' and I think many of your posts here and actions are designed to boost your own ego.

Right now I don't give two hoots about your ego, I care about getting the best stuff for AGD in terms of real products and ideas that they can sell. I'll be encouraging everyone I can to post ideas where ever they can.

I'm the one designing these milling patterns for AGDE and thus I wanted to make sure everyone knew they were welcome to contribute to it. They can post it where ever they like for all I care as long as they feel welcome to post it. Nuff said.

manike

shartley
01-07-2002, 10:50 AM
Thordic
Well, it was directly in response to a post Manike made. He in essence made it public, not me. I only showed the actual PM… which HE eluded to, but in a light not intended.

Remember, I tried to bring it private first, Manike was the one to bring that public.

Thordic
01-07-2002, 10:55 AM
I deleted my post because I originally misunderstood what happened.

On the other hand, Tom did ask if AO wanted to see it. I think manike simply expressed that he wanted to see everyones, not just one person in particular. Personally, I don't see why anyone should be singled out as to getting thier own thread for designs, be it manike or yourself. You can post your work in the threads with everyone else, as far as I am concerned. I don't really see the point in this. Lots of people on this forum are talented, and I haven't really seen someone shine above the rest in such a manner that deserve special treatment.

Just so you don't think that is a shot, that includes you, manike, Riotz, synreal, webby, and whoever else wants to do graphics on this site. Unless you have an actual product to show off, keep it with everyone else.

ThePatriot
01-07-2002, 11:05 AM
I had not known that, i too apologize shartley, i am deleting my post as well

speedballbanks
01-07-2002, 11:21 AM
let shartley work i want to see some nice designs and no talking. lol

Vegeta
01-07-2002, 11:37 AM
Yea, I kinda feel bad for shart.. I mean, not beign able to copete in any of the contests.. If I was a graphics artist and I knew i was good.. I would want to enter.. not run it.

shartley
01-07-2002, 12:17 PM
Manike
I don’t think ANYONE felt that their ideas were not welcomed on AO. You after all, had (and still have) SEVERAL threads concerning it. And they are dedicated to it specifically. This is a separate thing all together.

As for the Fantasy-Emag Thread. Look… I MADE the rules.. NOT Tom. I made them in direct accordance with discussions I personally had with Tom about what he wanted, and WHY he wanted it. I was also put in charge to enforce them. NOT YOU.

You were just pissed because I would not change the rules for you. And I was polite about it until you FORCED the issue. Deal with it. Tom had an idea and asked me to make it happen for him. WE discussed what TOM wanted, and I did what I felt needed to be done to accomplish his wishes. He also approved all rules before they were posted. Sometimes there are things that happen on AO, at AGD, and in the Paintball Community that you neither are directly involved with, OR are privy to the workings of. I hope that ends *that* issue for good.

You are darn right.. this IS about ME. And Tom made it so, NOT ME. How about the fact that everyone BUT me got a crack at the contests? And rightly so.. for many reasons. The images I came up with for your Milling Stuff took virtually NO time… and all the contestants in the contest had a whole MONTH to work on ideas.. you figure it out. And this has nothing to do with “ego”. It is also not saying that other people are not talented.

You also seem to want people to think that I am ONLY after self-glorification. Puppy Cock. And quite a few on AO can verify that. I do much behind the scene that never gets posted openly (and I personally could care less if it did.. best to keep it off anyway. It is not really anyone’s business but me and the parties involved), so that to say I am only after an ego boost or glorification to help me stay on my high horse is so off base it borders on stupidity… but is ignorant at best.

Simply put, TOM made a post directly about me. I will NOT feel guilty for being proud of that. I will also not allow you to blow my statements out of proportion. Tom also made posts concerning other members in the past as well.. but noone seemed to mind about that.. why about me? Think about it.

I even made a post saying what I told you in the PM (my post back to Tom)… but you see, noone took THAT wrong, did they?

If you have a problem with me personally, keep it to yourself. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But it seems you are talking from a position of anger, possible jealousy, and surely ignorance as it relates to me directly.

But you are only thinking of quality and what is best for AGD customers, right? Please….

And there has been so much CRAP involving these types of personal issues that has been taken, and KEPT off the Main Forum that it would make the General Membership’s head spin. Some of the members were privy to it for the sake of making an accurate record of the events… and for that alone. I am sure we don’t want any of THAT dug up either. So Manike, please keep your personal opinions about me to yourself, and off the boards.

Thordic
For the most part, I agree with your last post.

I agree that Tom asked two things..

1) If I would make some designs.
2) If AO Members would like to see them.

So, anyone is open to post that they do not want to see them, or that they do. Or that you don’t want to see them in their own thread, dedicated to JUST them. That would be in direct accordance to the second question. And I respect people’s opinions on that.

But please keep in mind that from time to time others *do* stand out and get shown special treatment. Dan from Triggernomics? Manike for his work? MajorDamage for his personality? The Stickball movies? The list goes on and on….

I feel that this is simply an SHartley issue, and if it involved anyone else BUT me, it would not even *be* an issue for some AO Members. And this time the spotlight was made by TOM. Anyone who wants to complain about it should do so to TOM, not me.

It also seems that SHartley can help any AO Member, Staff, or whatever and that is fine… as long as no attention is drawn directly TO SHartley. This is kind of odd isn’t it? It would make me really stupid to assist a single AO member ever again.. wouldn’t it? “Shine my shoes but then crawl back under the steps and keep quiet.”

ThePatriot
No problem.

Vegeta
Heck, don’t feel bad for me (for that reason.. LOL). I actually do it by choice. Look at how many people were going to NOT enter the first contest because they thought I was going to enter it too. How would this have been a good thing for AO? What good would it have been to lose the participation because people thought they would never have a chance to win?

I am not saying they would NOT have a chance to win, but that was the going perception…. And far too often we make perception, reality. You think you will not (or can not) win, so you don’t enter.. thus you DON’T win. And AO would have lost some great entries in BOTH contests. And the idea was about participation.. for ALL (within the guidelines needed for the final outcome).

I don’t say this to be noble in any way, far from it….. but it is the truth. I thought AO would benefit more by me NOT being in the contests, but by running it.. and so did Tom.

General Membership

So why would anyone be upset that I get a little extra attention now? I did not ask for it. I did not prompt it. But do I think it is wrong? No.

This is what confuses me. Tom wanted to do something HE wanted to do. And he wanted to use ME to do it. This is both for HIM, AO, and for Myself personally. Is that such a bad thing? And were is the EVIL SHARTLEY plot to build his ego? Because I pointed out that Tom wanted ME to do this and that everyone else could STILL do what they were ALREADY doing in the other Threads?

Some people have issues, and they are personal ones.. period. And those opinions should be kept off AO. As for the rest of the garbage.. I am very sorry. I did not think Tom asking me to do something could have threatened so many people.. or offended them.

So, to end the problem….

My answer Tom, is no.

(I hope my Ego will survive this.)

Thordic
01-07-2002, 12:25 PM
Shartley - The examples you gave were finished products. That's why they got singled out. If you designed and had milled an Extreme, then I would be all for you showcasing it. I just meant pure design phase. I don't see any reason for a single persons designs to get singled out.

beam
01-07-2002, 12:30 PM
Shartley: Did you approach Tom about running the contests or did he approach you?

Just wondering.

shartley
01-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Beam
He approached me, both times.

Vegeta
01-07-2002, 12:31 PM
(Trying to keep humor in this thread)
Ever notice how shartley also has some of the longest posts? Obviously thre is nothing to do in his head ....

Vegeta
01-07-2002, 12:34 PM
Also.. you are one peice of work shart.. I would have been like "SURE LOOK AT MY 1337 SKILLZ!".. But i guess you are right in the long run... Ego can be a good thing, yet a bad thing in the wrong head.

manike
01-07-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by shartley
As for the Fantasy-Emag Thread. Look… I MADE the rules.. NOT Tom. I made them in direct accordance with discussions I personally had with Tom about what he wanted, and WHY he wanted it. I was also put in charge to enforce them. NOT YOU

While we are on the subject since you brought it up, I would like to let everyone know that I asked Tom if it would be OK to allow hand drawings for that competition because I wanted to use the ideas for these custom extremes we are doing now. Tom said Yes and was even offering another prize for the people of AO until he spoke to you and for some reaosn of your own which no-one else knows you stopped it. What harm would it have done? Other than made you back track on a rule? You stopped something that was to the benefit of AO members for reasons best known to yourself and which made little sense to anyone else. It appeared to have been stopped only because you had the power to do so, no other reason.

I wasn't pissed in the slightest. I wanted it for the benefit of AO members (more prizes and more people eligible to enter). I dealt with it.

[B]Simply put, TOM made a post directly about me. I will NOT feel guilty for being proud of that.

You should have felt proud. But he made that post in a forum and asked people what they think. Everyone else was just replying with their thoughts on the subject. I'm sorry if they didn't continue the ego massaging that Tom started. Tough, different people have different opinions on subjects.

Some people have issues, and they are personal ones..

I have no personal issues about you doing designs. I have issues about you doing designs and claiming them possible when they are not. That's the only thing that has annoyed me in all of this. Everything else is opinion and I welcome opinions.

My answer Tom, is no

It is a shame in many ways but not in others. I know of many people that did not take part in the FantasE-Mag competition purely because you were running it. I wouldn't want people to do the same here because they thought you were involved.

I am involved in this project and so if you do not wish to be that is your choice, if that means others will be, then even better.

manike

cphilip
01-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by AGD
Sam,

As one of AO's resident graphics artists you never get to enter the contests because you're running them (thanks a ton for that). Myself and I'm sure the rest of AO, would like to see you go crazy on a bunch of Extreme designs and post them up here....

AGD

This is the reason for only his to be here. Because Tom clearly said so. It was clear to me. Sorry a lot of you didn't read "The Boss's" instructions. And now you have Shartley's answer. He will not be doing any of them for Tom mostly because some of you couldn't just let him have this thing that Tom asked him to do. I would be ashamed of myself if I were you. I know you have personal dislikes of certain people but why look for things that are not there in order to satisfy this hate? I just do not understand how normal intelligent nice people can be so hatefull some times. It bothers me the way you guys go at each other sometimes for no real valid reason. Testosterone overload I think. You know you can just ignore and leave it alone right? I did just that myself until now so I know it can be done.

But now I am closing this as its entire purpose has been defeated.

Sorry about that Tom. You meant well I am sure and can re-open it if you chose to (of course).

synreal
01-07-2002, 12:40 PM
shartley/tom-
if/when the next design contest rolls around if you'd like to take part, let me know. i'd be happy to work something out with tom for me to sit out a round/lend a hand, and let another designer have a crack at the gold.