PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding checks

warpspyder
06-03-2007, 12:02 AM
So. The story. I work as a cashier, and I had a discussion w/ a supervisor about a check. Seems the amount was off by around $50 because I entered the number that was written in the box, when the customer had left that fifty out of the written out portion of the check.

My question to you is what does a bank look at? The number, or the actual written out portion?

I don't care to hear that I should have looked at both, I've realized that. I just want to know what the bank looks at.

MedicDVG
06-03-2007, 01:13 AM
It has been my experience that the bank looks at both items and if there is a disagreement, then they kick the check back.

However, if your store imprints the back with a cash register type receipt with the purchase price, and the bank is using an electronic check reader, then they will go by that tendered amount.

Other then that I am not entirely sure.

warpspyder
06-03-2007, 01:16 AM
It has been my experience that the bank looks at both items and if there is a disagreement, then they kick the check back.

However, if your store imprints the back with a cash register type receipt with the purchase price, and the bank is using an electronic check reader, then they will go by that tendered amount.

Other then that I am not entirely sure.
That's what I thought would happen. The correct amount was entered on the back w/ the endorsement information (it's Sam's Club... wal-mart basically), so I don't know why it would have happened. Thanks for your input.