PDA

View Full Version : Watch out when bending wire detents

Railgun
06-03-2007, 08:38 PM
My first couple of times out with my Classic were less than happy with balls chopping about 1:20. I played around and came up with some observations about the wire detents used on the plug in barrels.

The detent should allow the ball to fall straight down. If it's too full a curve it'll try to push the ball back slightly. Adjust the bending so that most of the protrusion is towards the forward end of the detent slot and ramps out more gently to the rear.

Second and by far the most important is to bend the wire so that when the part in the barrel is pushed so it is even with the inner barrel surface that no part of the wire sticks out past the outer surface of the barrel. If it does it'll bind on the body before it's fully out of the way and act like a cutting knife on the balls. I know this happened to me because a lot of the residue from the breaks was back around the feedneck.

After a rough beginning i used it yesterday for a couple of games and went through about 200 paintballs with only one chop that I blame on an obvious short stroke. Not bad I'd say.

Russ
06-03-2007, 08:42 PM
wire detents are so 2001. time for you to get some plastic nubbins

Nubbins! (http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=2&categoryID=90)

Thotograph
06-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Apples and oranges my man, the wire detents are certainly good when dealing with smaller paint, and I've often found the plastic ones to not be enough to hold up against a focre fed loader. So I say to each his own... also make sure it never protrudes far enough to hang up on the bolt, that can get ugly.

Railgun
06-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Well, you see.... I've got this nice shop and all these nice tools and a supply of music wire thanks to my other hobby of model airplanes and I just figured I'd be an old curmudgeon and use the wire for the detents....:D

Yeah, I know about the plastic ones but if the wire ones were good enough for all those years I figured that they'd be good for a few more and that there would be a few out there like me.

That's an interesting point about the paint size. From that comment I gather the plastic ones don't protrude very far into the bore. Yeah, that could end up being an issue with the new smaller paint.

athomas
06-04-2007, 07:59 AM
The only problem plastic nubbins have is when they are used on barrels that aren't properly machined. The plastic ones can be adjusted though. There is a little knob on the back of the nubbin. Put a wrap of tape around the barrel over that part of the nubbin. It will push it farther into the barrel, yet will still be gentle on paint due to the flexibility of the plastic.