PDA

View Full Version : computer question

rkjunior303
06-04-2007, 09:55 AM
So, i have my AIM running through an SSH tunnel through work and it works fine.. How come if I try to use IE through the same tunnel, it doesn't connect? Any tips/suggestions?

ntn4502
06-04-2007, 10:16 PM
dude, are you every going to get on live and kill people with me?

rkjunior303
06-04-2007, 11:11 PM
gotta get vegas first.. im still playing COD3.

Hexis
06-04-2007, 11:28 PM
You need an end point for an SSH tunnel. That's the AIM servers in the first case. The problem is that you would have to create a seperate tunnel for every destination you wanted to reach and hide from the network monitoring.

The work around: setup a prroxy server. SSH tunnel to the proxy server and browse away.

rkjunior303
06-04-2007, 11:40 PM
and how do i setup a proxy server :) i can do the ssh tunnel through my friends box but i don't know how to do that (she might even have one on her linux box, though)

Hexis
06-05-2007, 07:49 AM
That depends on many things. You can start by reading up on squid.

punkncat
06-05-2007, 02:40 PM
wow...you "computer geeks" are frightening beings....

:D

Hexis
06-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm a security guy. I get paid to figure out how to break security. It's quite fun.

MantisMag
06-05-2007, 09:39 PM
*threadjack* hexis, how does one get into security? my brother just graduated with his degree in CS and doesn't know what he wants to do. i've been trying to convince him that he should get into the security industry since with all the data breaches in the past couple years hopefully companies are getting it pounded into their skulls that they NEED to secure their data. he's pretty smart. hopefully he can do some good out there and prevent something like the TJX data breach, or all the schools that lost their students' and faculty's data, or all the lost government laptops with completely unsecured private data or . . . :rolleyes:

Hexis
06-05-2007, 10:08 PM
I started in the network relm, with a lot of unix and scripting skills. Ended up beng hired into the security group to maintain an anti-spam system I build as a contractor.

For a degree only perso just start at the start. There are plenty of entry level positions in IT. Start anywhere, and get to know the systems. Some companies have entry level security positions (incidend handlers, pen testers, auditors). Security is an interesting disipline. It takes understandng of all of the systems in play, not just one portion of things. That's what keeps me interested.