PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a Minimag

Allfat
06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Hello. I am guided here by desperation.

I have a pretty much stock Minimag with a lvl 10, warp feed, progressive barrel, and homemade foregrip. I bought it just over a year ago.

Now to my problem. When I air up the gun, it leaks down the barrel. When I shoot and hold the trigger down, it seals the leak. But the leak is not consistent. Some times it will seal right up, and other times it will just pour CO2 down the barrel, and some times it will be just a small leak.

I did some snooping of my own and figured that because it sealed when I held down the trigger, that it was the on/off. So I opened it up and all the o-rings looked good. I replaced the teflon ones anyways, just in case. I aired it up after that, and voila, no leaks.

So I take it to a big game two weeks later, and after playing for a while with a couple other guns, I decide to try out the minimag. I screw in my tank and CO2 pours out of the barrel. So now I am really confused and I dont know what to do, besides sending it to Airgun for a rebuild (which I want to avoid because of money issues, I dont have a lot).

Just so you all know, there is plenty of oil in the marker, I completely took it down and oiled every o-ring before that big game when it leaked again. I also regularly put oil in the ASA and in the 2 oil ports on the valve.

I want to get this fixed because, well, for the more than a year that I have owned it, I have never played a game with it because of problems with this gun, and that is just wrong. So I come to you in hopes of taking the field with my minimag.

Thank you.

Russ
06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
explain how your LX is set up

the leak stopping while holding the trigger shows the on/off to be OK. it's doing it's job sealing the chamber.

air out the barrel points to too large a carrier, too many shims or too light a bolt spring

Allfat
06-04-2007, 06:56 PM
I dont really know. It came to me tuned and I dont really know much about it. I wouldnt know how to describe it.

Russ
06-04-2007, 06:59 PM
/\

time to read the LX guide in the resources tab just under the Automags.org logo

athomas
06-05-2007, 09:28 AM
When I air up the gun, it leaks down the barrel. When I shoot and hold the trigger down, it seals the leak. .........I did some snooping of my own and figured that because it sealed when I held down the trigger, that it was the on/off. No, if the leak stops when you hold the trigger, then the on-off is working properly. The problem is in the powertube of the mag.

If you have a level 10 it needs to be tuned. Remove all the powertube shims. In case it is a bad carrier oring, change it. Now use the largest carrier that does not produce a leak. Always use the same white carrier oring for each new carrier that you try. Once you dind the proper carrier you will be good to go. I wouldn't bother with the shims unless you have a problem with the bolt not resetting after the bolt hits something solid in the breach. For troubleshooting reference, the bolt not resetting after a shot is not a shim problem, it is a carrier problem meaning it is too tight.

Allfat
06-05-2007, 12:07 PM
/\

time to read the LX guide in the resources tab just under the Automags.org logo
Woah, I never saw that before. I will see what I can figure out.

Allfat
06-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Man, now I am really mad about not seeing that link before. Took me about a half an hour and now my lvl 10 is all tuned and no leaks. It turned out to be a carrier leak.

This makes me happy that I did not send it to AGD for a rebuild because I had everything I needed to fix it myself, now it is off to the field to chrono and maybe play this weekend for the first time with it.

Russ
06-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Kewl! :cool: