PDA

View Full Version : What is good to cut a feedneck with?

Ninjeff
06-06-2007, 06:33 PM
So i just got a eVolutionII for my emag today. Just to tide me over until i get a vLocity.

Anyhow, i have a ULE body with a CCM short rise feedneck and the hopper is WAY too tall. what would be good to cut it with out of curiosity? I dont have any type of "dremel" tool, so thats out.

ideas?

surfbum
06-06-2007, 06:38 PM
hacksaw

Ninjeff
06-06-2007, 06:51 PM
that wont crack or break it?

blizpaintball42
06-06-2007, 07:00 PM
I cut my EVO with a hacksaw... however it cracked in the feedneck of the gun after a while. I was told that you shouldn't cut the extra length off because it helps "absorb" any kind of stress. Got new shells which I didn't cut and haven't had the problem.

d4m4don3
06-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Dremel. :headbang:

Ninjeff
06-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I cut my EVO with a hacksaw... however it cracked in the feedneck of the gun after a while. I was told that you shouldn't cut the extra length off because it helps "absorb" any kind of stress. Got new shells which I didn't cut and haven't had the problem.

hmmm.... thats disappointing. Well, how long did it last before breaking?

Also note, im not a very aggressive player. I can count the number of slides and dives on one hand.

paullus99
06-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Pipe-cutter.....cut down both my angled bodies & had no problem at all.

blizpaintball42
06-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Maybe three days of playing... Honestly, you're only going to shave an inch off... it doesn't make much of a difference in the profile.

Russ
06-06-2007, 07:17 PM
A (sharp) hacksaw.

wrap the part of the feedneck you want to keep with tape, and use that as a guide to cut it straight. Follow up with sandpaper. If you got mad skillz, it'll come out shnizz

(that was sad)

Ninjeff
06-06-2007, 07:28 PM
the center of gravity seems to be really high with this thing and the ccm feedneck. Almost like the feedneck is too shallow. I suppose it would be just as shallow with a cut hopper, but the center of gravity seems like it would be lower and therefore less likely to topple out.

But hearing it will break soon makes me wary.

hmmm...

Lohman446
06-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Depends what type of equipment you have.

I took mine (Halo) and held it on a machine made to machine heads (basically a big, horizontal belt sander) and it took about 3 seconds. This also gives you a more "level" cut. You may be able to get a small machine shop to do this for you - personally I would look for an engine rebuilder around you as they may do this for you and it will only take a minute of their time.