PDA

View Full Version : All you Camera Guys, I need Help

StygShore
06-08-2007, 08:57 AM
My wife is a budding photographer, and slowly working toward doign photography instead of the crappy job she has...

She is looking for a Nikon D200 and Sigma F2.8 70-200mm setup, either both, or one at a time as she can afford them.

Does anyone know a place that has these for a good price that isnt a complete scam

Styg

( I will beat the first guy to post up one of the online $699.00 places - They email you back and tell you the US version costs 400.00 more,a nd doesnt come with battery, charger, software, etc :) )

geekwarrior
06-08-2007, 09:04 AM
I got my Nikon D50 from Cameta Camera off ebay. They say all there camera's are factory demo's, but mine still came with a 1 yr warranty and is in perfect condition. They have good prices, it's just if you want to have a brand new camera or not.

Hexis
06-08-2007, 09:04 AM
It's good you are aware of the scams, they seam to focus on camera sales for some reason.

bhphoto.com
adorama.com

Both are top notch. Both have used departments.

I also gotta say it, if she does not have other Nikkor glass, take a serious look at Canon equipment. Nikon is great gear. I think Canon has the edge for a few reasons. I'll leave it at that for now. Let me know if you are interested in more details.

StygShore
06-08-2007, 09:15 AM
She is a Nikon girl through and through - she has shot Nikon for the better part of 15 years as a hobby/photographer.

I got her into the digital world about 4 years ago I picked her up a D70, and she is wanting to upgrade to the big dog d200 for a wedding she will be shooting this August. She currently shoots as an assistant for 12-15 weddings a year and the D-70 deffinately is capable of the job, but like all us paintball guys.... she wants bigger and better toys with more buttons and shiny things that go 'beep' on them :)

I was looking at the adorama.com site just before I recieved this post notice, they are legit? Have you ordered from them a lot?

Thanks

Styg

( On a side note, anyone need darkroom equipent? I'll let it go cheap its collecting dust in the garage )

Steelrat
06-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Adorama is legit. I bought my 20D and glass from there, and they are frequently discussed on various photography websites. B&H is legit too. I have nothing but good things to say about 'em.

StygShore
06-08-2007, 09:32 AM
She has a deal of $970.00 for a barely used D-200 with 1 year manufactures warranty - should she jump on that?

Styg

Warwitch
06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
B&H Photo Video FTW. Ive been ordering stuff from them since about 1990. Really good customer service.

93civiccpe
06-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Typically when the "next great camera" in the line comes out, tons of photographers rush to their local photography store and turn in their high dollar cameras as credit towards the new one. I know a buddy who picked up a perfect D1X at Ace Photo dirt cheap a few years ago because he was at the right place at the right time. You might want to check the local camera stores for turn-in's. Typically photographers are careful about their gear but occasionally you'll get the one who decided to beat the crap out of theirs.. it's easy to tell the difference.

StygShore
06-08-2007, 10:05 AM
yeah she is the lab manager in a photo shop, thats whwere she has a deal on a d200 for 970.00.

But hints have been going around the D200 may be on its way out, so she is not sure if she should wait to see if better deasl come along or not

Considerrign they look to go for abotu 1200.00 used, even at 970.00 if they discontinue the model, they will probably still sell for 800+ so it migth still be a good deal for her

Styg

RA1N1ER
06-08-2007, 10:16 AM
i was at the right place and the right time,... I got a D1X for 1G... it came with two lenses (macro and 80-300x, plus 2 batteries w/ charger included .......it was a steal... and it was at a pawn shop.....

I was there asking them to change my bill to quarters.... and low and behold... it was there....

Hexis
06-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Adorama is good. I have ordered from them a few times. I have ordered from B&H a larger number of times. Been happy in all cases. They are the only two online vendors my local camera store will take seriously when it comes to price matching (maybe not machine, but getting closer to).

I tend to buy anything I can locally (National Camera Exchange in MN). They will get close to online prices most times. If they can't, I order online.

Thordic
06-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Sigma4Less.com is great for glass, they beat B&H and Adorama in prices, and they are legit.

I believe they save money because their lenses come with a different warranty, however. So be aware of that.

Glass tends to be sturdy, though, and any issues will generally be noticed right away anyway. I've bought a few lenses from them, and they are generally well-regarded on the photo forums I haunt.

going_home
06-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Shopped pricing on Ebay for BNIB US model D50's a couple years ago and
ended up buy for the same money at Ritz camera.

I reccomend them.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541530275.htm

eric60
06-08-2007, 08:00 PM
I suggest that you check this site (http://www.smartratings.com/review/photography/digital_cameras/53) out. It has compilations of reviews for Nikon D200 and there's an accompanying list of merchants selling it. Hope this helps.

Thordic
06-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Avoid Ritz Camera, they are awful. REALLY bad. I've heard so many horror stories. Their salespeople are dumb, and they try to pawn off cheap lenses as "pro" quality and overcharge.